The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 20, 2009, 09:30 AM   #1
bggwind

Hunting trip you take with a little extra $$ and some frequent flyer miles?

Let's say you found a little $$ in your couch cushions, clothes drier, or old extra savings account you forgot about.

Coupled with your bank of frequent flyer miles, what sort of domestic US hunting trip would you take?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on preferences and time(s) of year.

Discuss amongst yourselves
Old October 20, 2009, 10:03 AM   #2

Alaska for sure. I like to fish too.......no brainer for me.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old October 20, 2009, 10:46 AM   #3
taylorce1

Alaska for sure don't know if your FF miles will work very well as getting there you are limited on airlines that fly up there. I'd go back to SE AK to do either another DIY Spring Black Bear hunt before the salmon runs or go in the fall after the big runs are done and try to put together a DIY bear and black tail hunt.

The other option would be a DIY caribou hunt in AK as well. The cost will go up to get out on the Tundra but it should be more affordable when compared to a Moose hunt. Sheep, mountain goat, grizzly, and brown would be out for me as I can't afford a guided hunt up there, yet.
Old October 20, 2009, 04:31 PM   #4
liberty1

Although Alaska is on my list, a little extra cash does not get me that far. Right now I take my kids to Wyoming every year for a public land antelope hunt. About 5 hours drive the cost of license and hotels.
We also just started going to Texas for a winter hog hunt to get out of the Colorado cold for a few days. Hogs and javelina can be done for just over a thousand apiece including license, guide, and everything else.
Not my dream hunts but keeps me happy for now.
Old October 20, 2009, 04:38 PM   #5
oneounceload

Back to the Rockies for a decent elk hunt......OR up to those really nice plains states with wild pheasant flushing everywhere.....OR down to the SE for a plantation quail hunt, OR...........

damn too many to choose from
Old October 20, 2009, 05:08 PM   #6
davlandrum

Florida - to hog dog with HogDogs and do some serious bass fishing.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 20, 2009, 05:35 PM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
liberty1: Although Alaska is on my list, a little extra cash does not get me that far.
Really how much extra $$$ are we talking about here? An AK black bear hunt can be done really cheap when compared to other hunts in AK. Plus it really isn't that hard to find a bear in certain parts to SE AK.

If you really want some cost figures I can put you in touch with a few people who go up there on a regular basis to hunt (every year), plus forest service cabin rentals are not terrible cheaper than any hotel you can stay in. It will get kind of expensive if you are paying the way for several people to go up there. However, you could really make up a big chunk of the difference if you cut your pronghorn and pig down to every other year.

When I went in 06 the flight and the bear tag cost me around $1200, boat rental for a week would be around $1200-1800 depending on the size of the boat plus fuel, food was around $150-200, cabins are from $25-45 a day, $175 to prepare and ship my hide and skull back to Colorado. Taxidermy for a rug was about $800 but I had almost a year to come up with that money. I spent 5 days up there with my buddy and we split all cost right down the middle except for tags, airline tickets, shipping of trophies, and taxidermy.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:36 PM   #8
rickyjames

absolutly a no brainer, book me a flight to alaska and i'll bring my guns and fishing pole a good skinning and fillet knife and a sparpening stone
Old October 20, 2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Doyle

Quote:
down to the SE for a plantation quail hunt, OR...........
You'd better have more than just a little cash laying around. Plantation quail hunts start at around $350/day at the low end and go up towards $1000/day for the royal treatment.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:30 PM   #10
fisherman66

Wyoming (Tetons) fer mule deer, cougar or whatever else dares to cross my path and I can take legally.