The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 21, 2009, 08:56 PM   #1
HAMMER1DOWN

Shooting Badgers

Hey everyone i just shot this beast on monday (had the day off woohoo).
I am gonna get a rug made out of him and was just wondering who else likes to shoot these bad boys. Haha if you want to hear it, its got an interesting story behind it.
Great White Badger.jpg
Old January 21, 2009, 11:19 PM   #2
armedtotheteeth

OH MY GOD! YOU SHOT A BADGER!! THEY ARE ON THE ENDANGERED SPECIES LIST!!

Just kidding!!
Old January 21, 2009, 11:50 PM   #3
goodspeed(TPF)

That's a mighty big Badger ya got there. Being from the Badger state I gotta ask, where are you from?

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 22, 2009, 12:12 AM   #4
Beretta16

Lets hear the story
Old January 22, 2009, 11:28 AM   #5
NRA4life

My dad shot one in Montana a few years back. Unfortunately, the round he was using out of his '06 didn't leave much behind.
Old January 22, 2009, 08:53 PM   #6
hunter33

Waiting for you to post the story.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:32 PM   #7
HAMMER1DOWN

Sorry just got back from work so here is the story.....

On Monday i had the day off for a guy who shot because he dreamed BUt anyway i was driving out to a friends range to test some loads that i had developed for the 7x57 mauser that i had just laying in the back seat of the car along with a .22 rifle, my AR-15 and a .22 revolver on my hip. but i was just driving along the gravel roads and i saw what i thought was a cat so i slowed down to let it pass and to my surprise it was a big ole white badger
So i immediately hit the brakes and jumped out of the car and realized that none of my guns in the vehicle(besides the .22 on my belt) were loaded so i dived into the back seat and rooted for a couple of my 7x57 rounds i found two and loaded one and left the other thinking that was all i would need, well by this time the badger was about 50 yards out so i ran across the ditch leveled off and shot, BAM, dirt flew right behind him and he flinched so i knew he was hit so i didn't think anything of it and ran up to him and the Da**ed thing got back up hissed at me and statred coming at me i freaked pulled out my .22 and shot all 6 rounds at him and got him with at least three.
After that was empty i hauled a** back to the car and grabbed my ar and fished out my mag with the 55 grains of polymer tipped copper coated candy, ran back over the hill and the darned thing was still trying to come at me so i gave him one round of .223 and he finally gave up the ghost. I waited about 5 minutes then went back up to him in the low ready waiting for him to jump back up but this time he was dead, so i grabbed him up and went back to the car and put him in the trunk.

As of right now he is in the frezer waiting to be delivered to the taxidermist to be rugged out

And i live in the great state of Montana
Old January 22, 2009, 10:58 PM   #8
globemaster3

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

That's going to be one heckuva rug with all them bullet holes!!!!!!!!

My side hurts I'm laughing so hard. Thanks! I needed that story!
Old January 22, 2009, 11:05 PM   #9
hunter33

Haha great story. I have had the same thing happen to me with a nutria.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:22 PM   #10
Big Bill

I just can't see the reasoning for shooting a badger for no good reason. Next time you want a rug, just go to ChinaMart.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 23, 2009, 07:49 AM   #11
armedtotheteeth

you ever ran across a badger out on the trail?/ The are the meanest critters on the planet!! If they weighed 100 pounds, they would kill every living thing on this planet!!! I hate them cause they dig 5 feet wide holes in the middle of my road. Hell on truck suspensions. Ive kissed the Steering wheel on my pickup on several occasions because of caved in badger holes. Hell, Ive gotten stuck because of them.
Old January 23, 2009, 09:17 AM   #12
Daryl

Quote:
I just can't see the reasoning for shooting a badger for no good reason. Next time you want a rug, just go to ChinaMart.
ChinaMart sells badger rugs?? I wonder if they're pen raised?

Question: Why are you visiting a hunting forum?

Daryl
Old January 23, 2009, 11:12 AM   #13
levrluvr

Mean critters, and they can get pretty damn large. My grandfather had no tolerance for them- he had an old Remington 29 pump 12 gauge with 00buck in it. He never had one charge him after the first shot
Father-in-law had one kill his Blue Heeler- dog didn't understand the risk. Badgers have no tolerance for being screwed with- they'll charge every time (the Jack Russell of ground dwellers).
Old January 23, 2009, 04:33 PM   #14
Big Bill

Quote:
you ever ran across a badger out on the trail?
Many times and I've always let them live.
Quote:
Question: Why are you visiting a hunting forum?
I don't consider spotting and animal from a moving vehivle and jumping out and shooting it - hunting! How is that "fair chase?"
Quote:
ChinaMart sells badger rugs?? I wonder if they're pen raised
Did I say a Badger rug? Nope, I just said "rug"? Pay attention!
Quote:
Badgers have no tolerance for being screwed with- they'll charge every time (the Jack Russell of ground dwellers).
So, the answer is simple. Don't screw with them. BTW, I'm also not one to kill every rattlesnake I see either.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 23, 2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Jseime

Our golden lab tangled with one a few years ago when he was younger and faster than he is now.

Mom was out for a walk and the dog always goes along something was hissing at mom from the ditch and it turned out to be a badger. The dog squared off with it and when it came at him i guess he grabbed it by the head with his mouth. He shook it around a little bit and gave it what for and i guess he sort of tossed it and when it landed it took off in high gear.

This is a golden lab who cant stay outside for more than five minutes in the winter cuz its too cold and lives in the house most of the summer cuz its too hot. He has never bitten anyone or anything or shown even the slightest mean streak except for this one time and when he gets into it with a porcupine.
Old January 23, 2009, 07:36 PM   #16
HAMMER1DOWN

Well for me shootin badgers is helping ranchers and farmers they dig big a** holes which livestock falls in and breaks legs its not good.
And having a big white badger fur on my wall is a plus too
Old January 23, 2009, 08:10 PM   #17
DiscoRacing

Hammer ya just shot wisconsins' mascot... how could you... and I was born and raised in WI.
Old January 23, 2009, 09:56 PM   #18
HAMMER1DOWN

Haha well Wisconsin must be full of some tough mf'ers to have badger as their mascot.
I just shot this one because he is probably the biggest i have ever seen and have been looking for some thing to take to the taxedermist for awhile now, Now i just need to find a white fox and bobcat and I'm set
Old January 23, 2009, 11:09 PM   #19
Big Bill

HD - I'm sorry to throw a wet blanket on your thread. Since I don't know all the circumstances of your fight with that varmint, I'm going to have to give you the benefit of the doubt and just say - congratulations. I hope you treasure that rug and have fun telling the story to your grandkids.
Old January 23, 2009, 11:45 PM   #20
jdscholer

Hammer, I've got a badger story that is so similar to yours that it's almost spooky. Mine however wasn't such a large, beautifully white badger. (if ya can call a badger beautiful)
If you haven't skun him yet, you or someone else has their work cut out. Badgers, especially cold ones hang onto their hide like they're afraid of bein seen nekid. jd
Old January 24, 2009, 12:08 AM   #21
HAMMER1DOWN

Ha, yeah as long as their not hissin and chasing you they are a pretty cool animals to just sit and watch, at work we have two badgers that eat all the mice that live in this giant dirt mound behind our grain bins it is kind of fun to sit on top of the bins and watch them root around.
Old January 24, 2009, 06:20 PM   #22
roy reali

re:Big Bill

Two quick questions.

Do you hunt at all?

What kind of weapon(s) do you use?
Old January 24, 2009, 08:04 PM   #23
levrluvr

Bill- never made a point of screwing around with one. If they invaded the property and were a threat to cattle, children, dogs etc., they were dispatched. They're aggressive animals and tremendous diggers. If they were addicted to Chinese food, they would dig a hole there and bring back chow mein.
Old January 25, 2009, 01:13 AM   #24
HAMMER1DOWN

levrluvr is super right they are relentless on their digging efforts, when they find a place where mice or gophers live they will dig and dig and dig until they are full then they dig some more it is really a bad thing..
I have a lot of friends that are ranchers and farmers and they love it when i tell them that i have killed one, it really helps them out.
Old January 27, 2009, 11:00 AM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If folks want to talk about the philosophy of hunting, start a thread about it.