The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 3, 2011, 12:56 PM   #1
chaz12

Update on Cabelas

I called custormer service at Cabelas today and they confirm that, yes, they are out of a lot of the popular BP revolvers. I was asking specifically about the 1860 army Colt. They are estimating receiving a shipment at the end of Ocotober. If you're looking for one, check back on their site then.

I have not had much luck backordering stuff at Cabelas or anywhere else for that matter; it seems like it never comes in once it's on backorder. It might be interesting to know why they can't get the revolvers right now, but we'll probably never know. The world economy is in very sad shape. Hope Pietta isn't having hard times.

If they ever have them in stock again, that's when I'll order one.

Chaz
Old October 3, 2011, 09:50 PM   #2
bigminnow

I also have noticed that a few of the Cabela's BP revolvers are on backorder...

I like to think it's because they are selling them like hot cakes!! I've bought three in the past few months. I keep tellin' myself "I gotta stop...I gotta stop" then they put them on sale again!!
Old October 4, 2011, 03:25 AM   #3
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz12
It might be interesting to know why they can't get the revolvers right now, but we'll probably never know.
They probably send them over by ship and need to fill up a cargo container. That's a large order to fill which helps to keep the prices down.
They take time to make, then transport to the U.S., and pass through customs before getting transported to Cabela's in the midwest.
I don't know if running out of guns has anything to do with the state of the world economy or Pietta.
Pietta probably produces guns at a fairly steady rate based on orders, and Cabela's ordering is probably based on how fast they sell here and their prices.
Lately it looks like the prices are lower and the sales volume is higher.
Since Pietta doesn't ship the guns by air mail it takes time to get them. Remember it all begins with ordering the steel to be able to even start making them. It's a long process, and when prices for raw materials and oil are fluctuating along with the currency exchange and interest rates, then producers and sellers wait for the prices to come down before they stock pile goods and raw materials.
Cabela's probably needs to commit to buying thousands of guns to receive the best prices.
And it must be difficult to predict the sales volume for each model and to coordinate that with receiving their next large order.

Last edited by arcticap; October 4, 2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old October 4, 2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

I have ordered four revolvers.....

.....from Cabelas over the last two years.

I always wait for some kind of sale.

In chronological order they were

G&G for 155.00 delivered
1863 Remington for 199.00 delivered
1860 for 186.00 delivered
1858 Remington for 179.00 delivered (I talked the sales associate into giving me free shipping even though that offer had expired.......Hey, so I am a tightwad! 17 bucks is 17 bucks)

In all cases but the most recent I received the orders quickly and only the last order was reflected as being not in stock and back ordered.

The reported delivery comports with what everyone else is saying (late October).

I do see a slight change in their marketing strategy if one can detect these kinds of things from only one sale. I bought the first two revolvers deep into the sale yet the merchandise was in stock.

I bought the Colt early in the sale and got a revolver right away. (Assume it was in stock.)

However, while still early in the sale, the Remington is OOS.

The marketers are selling revolvers they do not have on hand. There may be many reasons to do this and all of the reasons are good reasons.

Just-in-time warehousing is the way of the world and has been for about fifteen years.

Volume manufacture has been around for 150 years.

Timing shipments to capitalize on efficient shipping with fuel prices so volatile recently may be driving the shipper/manufacture to delay delivery. (Trend in oil is downward so waiting till tomorrow makes sense.)

But I think it may be a conscious decision on the part of Cabelas to stock light in revolvers and sell on futures. Every catalog I have received from them lately has been for hunting stuff, clothing and stuff...(No surprise there). So their warehouses must be full of these things at the expense of space for our revolvers which are not as time critical as the hunting stuff which is only good for the season which has a fixed end.

I frequently refer to the "Big C"...as "those SOBs" but that is because they have put something on sale which I really wanted. This is also a good thing.

In the end, they are offering quality (I do realize there is the occassional lemon) stuff for decent prices. Their service is (by and large) good.

Where Taylors sells the BMWs, Cabelas has carved out a niche marketing the Chevies.
Old October 4, 2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Scooch

It still blows...

I ordered my 1860 Army during the last sale, got it and it was junk. So I returned for an exchange and have been waiting ever sense. I got the "September 30" story 3 weeks ago and then the "October 30" story yesterday.

I want my damn revolver.
Old October 4, 2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Hawg

I got my 51 a couple of weeks ago and while not perfect it wasn't anything to send it back for. Took four days to get it.
Old October 4, 2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Chaz88

Don't know if it helps anyone looking for them but the Bass Pros I have been in lately have a shelf full of BP pistols.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 5, 2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

My limited experience with BPS....

.....is that their prices are WAY out of line. I have never seen them knock a nickel off of the steel frame Remingtons or Colts. In the store their price is 279.00.

I just stopped going to the store.
Old October 5, 2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Chaz88

Quote:
.....is that their prices are WAY out of line. I have never seen them knock a nickel off of the steel frame Remingtons or Colts. In the store their price is 279.00.
I hear you! I talked to them the other day about a reasonable price on a S&W. Did not even consider budging just "the price is as marked. If we wanted to take less it would already be marked down" I went home at that point.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.