The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 19, 2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Jerry11826

S&W 60 sights

I have a Mdl. 60 - 4 with adjustable sights. It shoots high by about 2" at 50 feet. The rear sight blade is all the way down, i.e. the body of the sght has "bottomed" in the frame sight cut above the hammer.

It appears I could remove about 3/64" from the sight body to lower the sight blade by that amount.

What is the formulea for predicting the amount the point of impact will change?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old May 19, 2011, 02:58 PM   #2
john323

In case you’re interested there is a formula to figure out how much to move the sight up,down,left or right. Take the amount your weapon is shooting off divide that number by the distance you're shooting at in inches. Multiply that number by your barrel length and that number is the amount you need to adjust.
Hope this helps. John

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old May 19, 2011, 09:40 PM   #3
GURU1911

JERRY:

If the elevation on the rear sight is bottomed out & the bullets are still impacting higher than you desire, the problem is the height of the front sight is too low. The height of the sight will need to be built up by some precision tig welding & then mill off a few thousand's of an inch until the impact is where you want it. Contact alex hamilton @ 10-ring precision in san antonio, texas for correction of the sight height.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 20, 2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Jerry11826

Thanks john323. Check my math for me. Need to lower the impact point 2 inches at 50 feet. 50 feet = 600 inches. 2/600 = .0033. Barrel is 3 ". 3 X .003 = .009 or say 1/100 of an inch.

Since I have 1/32 (0.03125) - 3/64 (0.047) to play with it would seem to be an easy fix.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old May 20, 2011, 01:55 PM   #5
john323

You are correct. Good luck. Any other questions PM me or call 323-722-3903.
John

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old May 26, 2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Malamute

You might check with Smith & Wesson to see if they have a replacement rear blade of different height. They make them in various heights for other frame sizes.

I've lowered Ruger rear sights by simply filing the blade down a bit, and recutting the notch. If there's room above the sight body, that would be simpler than working on the front sight, or the frame or sight body to lower it. If the front sight is pinned into the ramp, it may be possible to get a different height front blade from Smith & Wesson also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old May 28, 2011, 10:01 AM   #7
velocette

It might be worthy to try shooting ammunition of higher velocity / lighter bullets. That will typically result in a lower POI.

Roger
Old May 29, 2011, 01:22 AM   #8
TXGunNut

Sorry to be picky but it's sight radius, not barrel length that needs to be considered in that equation.
I'd try different ammo first, velocette has the right idea. Fast, light ammo is ideal for a weapon like the 60. Lowering the rear sight sounds reasonable as well, just take it very slow and keep it even.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.