The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 6, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
BarryJGraham

What causes this malfunction in a Ruger SR1911?

Hi

I'm having problems with a new Ruger SR1911 which I am getting ready to send back, but I am a bit curious as to what is causing my malfunctions. I'm experiencing some kind of FTF. Please see the enclosed pictures. Both rounds you see in the pictures are live. The casing of the last round fired was ejected. It looks like the top round missed the extractor and was bumped half way into the barrel and the slide then hung up behind the next round. This happens every other magazine. What would cause this?

Regards

Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR1911_1.JPG (94.5 KB, 507 views)
File Type: jpg SR1911_2.JPG (91.5 KB, 466 views)
Old October 6, 2013, 06:42 PM   #2
j2flan

If those are factory loads and they pass the "plunk" test, I would look at the mags first, and maybe try another brand, is it just with one of your mags or both?
Old October 6, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Crankgrinder

im not a 1911expert but we have some here. It looks to me like the top round is hanging on the ejector. Soon some 1911 guys will chime in hopefully
Old October 6, 2013, 08:17 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ruger factory magazines? Factory ammo? Any changes made to the gun?

I think I know the problem, but would like more info.

Jim
Old October 6, 2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Sarge

I would check the extractor tension first.
Old October 6, 2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Nanuk

Try another magazine in the gun.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 6, 2013, 09:38 PM   #7
LivewireBlanco

Sounds like the mag. If you have more than one see if you can see if it's a certain one. If not, get you a new mag (you want more anyways) preferably Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat. See if that does the trick.
Old October 6, 2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJGraham
It looks like the top round missed the extractor and was bumped half way into the barrel and the slide then hung up behind the next round. This happens every other magazine. What would cause this?
Weak magazine spring.
Old October 7, 2013, 12:44 AM   #9
BarryJGraham

Thanks for all your responses so far. Here are some answers to asked questions:

This is a brand new gun using factory ammo (Magtech 45a). I'm having this problem with both the Ruger magazines. The ammo passes the "plunk test".
Old October 7, 2013, 12:54 AM   #10
RickB

Looks like "inertia feed"; the magazine does not retain the top round securely and it's pitched forward out of the mag under recoil (actually, it's more like the mag being pulled out from under the round which remains stationary). It can be weak mag springs, but it can also be splayed feedlips.
Old October 7, 2013, 01:08 AM   #11
tipoc

It is most likely the magazines. Try another brand of mags. You will want to do this anyway.

tipoc
Old October 7, 2013, 06:44 AM   #12
geetarman

Quote:
I would check the extractor tension first.
That was the problem with mine. Once tensioned properly, no problems since.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 7, 2013, 06:53 AM   #13
polyphemus

A head scratcher,it's new so back it goes of course.Having wrote that;
how did that round get half way in with the slide back behind the next round
still loaded in the magazine?
They do have a rather stiff recoil spring and the magazines look like Check-Mates with xtra power springs hybrid guide lips,I would try GI's before I ship it.
Good luck
Old October 7, 2013, 06:59 AM   #14
MJFlores

I would do the basic trouble shooting 101 on your gun before sending it back. I agree with others, first just try a new magazine. I'm not aware of any bad lots of Ruger magazines but if it's a new problem we should all hear about it soon. I would also try a good cleaning on the gun, and lubricate the slide and feed ramp well and then try the same ammo to see if the problem still exists. If it does keep everything the same but change ammo and see if things change. I'm betting you'll find it's an ammo or magazine issue.
Old October 7, 2013, 07:23 AM   #15
dahermit

Drawing on my experiances with the 1911, two of the most likely causes are, an improperly bent extractor, and/or insufficient strength of the magazine spring.
If it were the extractor, it would have to be way off. Pull the extractor. Does it require some tension to pull it out of the tunnel, or does it drop right out? Usually when the extractor is not bent enough, you would get an empty case jammed straight forward into the side of the ejection port as a symptom, so I suspect your malfunction is caused by something other than the extractor.
If it were the last round in the magazine that was malfunctioning, that would point to "inertia feed", caused by people using non-dimpled, non-standard, increased capacity (more than seven), magazines. However, I see that it is not the last round that jammed.
I see that the case is in front of the extractor hook...which leads me to believe that the problem could very well be, insufficient magazine spring tension.
If you are using factory standard, round-nose ammo, the ammo is not likely the problem.
Nevertheless, 1911tuner will likely be along shortly and being knowledgeable as he is, should be able to easily solve the problem...he is quite expert in the subject of 1911's.
Old October 7, 2013, 09:07 AM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Double feed. Tap, rack, bang.

Most likely a magazine issue. If not it's an extractor issue.
Old October 7, 2013, 09:51 AM   #17
3.Shot.Group.

Too much tension on the extractor not letting the round's rim slip under it. Relieve the tension and/or put a slight radius on the bottom of the extractor so the round can slip under it.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:10 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Too much tension on the extractor not letting the round's rim slip under it. Relieve the tension and/or put a slight radius on the bottom of the extractor so the round can slip under it.

I see that like back surgery. Waaaaaaaaay too complicated with a 1911 extractor.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:34 AM   #19
polyphemus

Quote:
Relieve the tension and/or put a slight radius on the bottom of the extractor so the round can slip under it.
On top of the one that's already there?
And how does that help this issue?It's a new pistol ok?and modifying it in any way may just affect the warranty if a different magazine does not resolve it
then Ruger will.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:36 AM   #20
JWT

If it's a new gun why not just call Ruger and make arrangement to send it back to them. They should pay for the shipping both ways. their customer service is excellent and their turn around times are usually very good.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:49 AM   #21
polyphemus

Quote:
Tap, rack, bang.
What?
The picture shows a round already in the chamber and the slide back ready to
strip another one.
The extractor has not engaged it so after the "tap"nothing is going to happen,
no need to "rack" because the slide is all the way back and the "bang" is not
forthcoming after the above ritual.
This pistol should not malfunction and if it does Ruger should repair it.
Old October 7, 2013, 11:15 AM   #22
DAVID NANCARROW

ever remove the extractor and clean the part and the tunnel? Depending on the round count, you might be surprised at how much junk accumulates in the tunnel.
Old October 7, 2013, 11:19 AM   #23
dahermit

Do a search on this forum (1911, extractor, jamming, etc.)...seems to me there was an identical complaint a few months ago.

The normal cycling of the 1911 has the extractor groove of the case coming up inside of the extractor hook on the extractor. Something is happening to make the case come up from the magazine, in front of the extractor hook.
As doctors are told: "First do no harm." Do the following in order:
1)Inspect the extractor, and the tunnel for manufacturing/shooting debris. There may be something obvious. Observe the loading cycle by manually working the slide and watching how the extractor groove on the case slides up under the extractor hook.

2)Try a seven-round magazine that is known to function in other 1911's. This will tell you if the magazine springs are weak, or the magazine's fault in general.

2) Do no metal alteration until the cause of the problem has been determined to a certainty. Is is best, not a Bubba be. Understanding should come first, "fixing"/altering last.

Last edited by dahermit; October 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old October 7, 2013, 11:57 AM   #24
BarryJGraham

As this is a new gun I will not be modifying it in any way, as this could void my warranty. I will try it with another magazine for curiosity's sake to see if that is the problem.

Total round count now is about 300 rounds.

Thanks you all so much for all you replies.

I started this thread, because I couldn't understand how this malfunction could occur. The only chain of events I can see that would cause this would be the following:

1: Round fired
2: Slide moves back, extracts and ejects casing
3: The top round in the magazine either has moved forward and misses the extractor or skips the extractor
4: Slide moves forward and hangs up on the second round (now the top round in the magazine)

I'm not at all sure about step three? Is this possible at all?

Last edited by BarryJGraham; October 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old October 7, 2013, 12:24 PM   #25
polyphemus

A Colt owner reported that his rounds were being chambered ahead of the
extractor,this is a similar issue but in that case the slide was closing and
then binding,he sent it out but last we heard Colt did not repair it and the issue
was still present when he got it back.He tried other type magazines without
success maybe that will resolve it for you.Something's funky with that#3.

Tags
1911 , failure to feed , ftf , help diagnose , malfunction