The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 27, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1
SIMP

Trade Opinions

I have a Ruger SR9c & LC9 both like new in box and I'm wanting to trade for a new in box Glock 19 gen4. Locally, the LC9 sells for $399 new and the SR9c for $459 new. The Glock sells for $600 new.

Seeing how the LC9 & SR9c are like-new, what would you feel would be an honest trade for the new Glock 19 gen4? Should I expect the G19 and some boot?

Just looking for some opinions here....Thanks.
Old August 27, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

I would do an even trade for that Glock 19 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old August 27, 2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I would do an even trade for that Glock 19 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Pretty much, this.

If you can haggle a bit and get some extra ammo, mags, night sights, holsters, or anything like that... even better. But trading 2 used Rugers for a brand new G19 gen4 is a fair trade.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

Sell yours on Armslist and you'll have money to put in your pocket after you get the G19.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Ramon_

If not selling it, then yes I would say it was a fair trade.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Two used Rugers for a new Glock? I'd assume you could get some ammo or spare mags thrown in and I'd say that's a fair trade.
Old August 27, 2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Seeing how the LC9 & SR9c are like-new, what would you feel would be an honest trade for the new Glock 19 gen4? Should I expect the G19 and some boot?
If an LGS offered the trade even up, you have a great LGS!
If your trading for a New G19 from an LGS expect:
No boot
about %40 reduction in trade in value
= a trade in value of around $500 on a good day.

Advice: don't trade to LGS and add boot. Sell both or one and add a few$$ if you can to buy a new one or trade 1 of them and add boot to get a good LNIB G19.

For me the difference between a brand new and LNIB is any visible scratches or dents you may see. If there are not any on the LNIB with a low round count (less than 2000) it is as good as new. As soon as you buy one new it will have the same value of a LNIB without firing a round.

The demand for Glock's keep the resale value high, but mostly applies to non-LGS.

I can't grade personal value because what something is worth to me sometimes overrides dollar value. If you have that high desire to have one, patience is money and value.

Good luck and we want pics if you get it.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Two "like new in box" Rugers at those values for one NIB G19 doesn't sound like a very good trade to me. I'm not knocking the G19 in any way, mind you, but it doesn't sound like a good deal financially. If those are the prices that the Rugers are selling for new, you won't get that from an LGS, especially not if they're "like new." I think the 40% figure that someone stated sounds about right. 50% if you're lucky and the LGS feels generous that day. I think you'd be smarter to sell the Rugers privately and then go buy the G19. It's not like G19s are rare, so this isn't a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:48 AM   #9
jmr40

I'd rather have 1 Glock than 2-3 Rugers, but financially this is not a good deal. Trade 1 of the Rugers for the Glock and put a little boot with it. Sell the other Ruger and you will be better off money wise. If you can afford to just buy the Glock straight up now, and sell the 2 Rugers at a later time you will be even better off.