Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 14, 2012, 04:08 AM   #26
giaquir

I have a mod 36 which I've been carrying
since the fall of '72.I've since switched over
to a G26.
The Snubby is a great gun but don't use those
big "ashtray" hollow points.
(Winchester 125 gr silver tipped hollow points)
I don't know how close a deer's hide compares to
heavy clothing but I tried to dispatch a deer
with my 38 (after a shot with a muzzle loader) and
the big hollow point barely made it thru the hide
and inflicted a bloody bruise in the muscle of the deers
neck.The bullet was on the surface of the muscle.
Loaded up the muzzle loader and shot in the base of the skull.
Hard cast bullets for me from now on.
Old August 14, 2012, 06:16 AM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

"What are the Glaser Safety Slugs ?"

Overly expensive hype rounds that I wouldn't use for personal protection on a bet.

"Do they come in 357 mag ?"

Yes.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 14, 2012, 06:18 AM   #28
kcub

I have a nickel model 38 with the small j frame pachmayr rubber grips to take care of recoil.

I carry 200 grain std pressure.
Old August 14, 2012, 06:22 AM   #29
rebs

The model 37 airweight I am looking at and have on lay away is in such mint condition I doubt it was carried or shot very much. I was a little concerned that perhaps it had been reblued but the gun at the gun shop said an aluminum frame cannot be reblued. Does anyone know if this is true ? If not then this gun had to be a safe queen.
Old August 14, 2012, 06:24 AM   #30
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs
The 2 model 37's I looked at were not aluminum, one was blued steel and the other was slightly heavier stainless steel, I believe.
Could I be wrong ?
It's easy to get it wrong, I do it all the time. The model 36 is the steel j-frame, also called the Chief's Special. the model 37 is the aluminum j-frame, and is called the Airweight. The Model 38 is the old humpback revolver with the shrouded hammer. It is also aluminum and is likewise called the Airweight.

In 1965, Smith and Wesson brought out their first stainless handgun. It was also a J-frame, 38 special five shot revolver. To distinguish it from the blued and aluminum models, they called it the Model 60. For many, many years, the Model 60 was my daily carry piece. It's now on semi-permanent loan to my daughter-in-law, who prefers the heft of a steel revolver. In it's place I now carry a Model 38, the old humpback revolver of Vietnam fame.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 14, 2012, 10:51 AM   #31
ATW525

Quote:
The model 37 airweight I am looking at and have on lay away is in such mint condition I doubt it was carried or shot very much. I was a little concerned that perhaps it had been reblued but the gun at the gun shop said an aluminum frame cannot be reblued. Does anyone know if this is true ? If not then this gun had to be a safe queen.
Aluminum can not be blued. I'm not sure what S&W used to color the frame of the 37, but it is not bluing.
Old August 14, 2012, 01:23 PM   #32
dgludwig

On occasion, I pocket carry an older (well, they all are) Colt Cobra snubnose. It doesn't conceal as well as a Ruger LCP but I prefer the simplicity of a revolver.
Old August 14, 2012, 05:34 PM   #33
Webleymkv

My regular pocket gun is a M36 which is the all-steel version of the M37 (or conversely the M37 is the airweight version of the M36) and have no complaints whatsoever. The only thing about the M37 that would give me pause is that they should not be used with +P ammunition (no J-Frames prior to 1999 were rated for +P, but the steel frames can handle limited amounts of it). If, however, you're happy with standard pressure .38 Special ammo, the M37 should make a superb pocket gun.

Quote:
I'd rather get an aluminum-frame Ruger LCR38 with a ton of technical improvements since the 37 yet still not pay S&W's recent prices...
I'm a bit confused by this statement. S&W's current airweight .38's can be had all day long for the same price or slightly less than an LCR 38 (which is also an excellent gun). In my area, 637's, 638's, and 642's routinely sell for $400 or slightly less NIB.
Old August 14, 2012, 05:48 PM   #34
rebs

Thank you guys for all the replies, I appreciate it

Does a model 37 have any collector value ?
Old August 14, 2012, 05:57 PM   #35
vytoland

i like any of the S&W "J" frames in .38 special
Old August 15, 2012, 10:19 AM   #36
bikerbill

I occasionally carry a Smith 637. I pocket carry almost exclusively 8 months of the year because it gets a little warm here in central Texas, and the light weight is great for that purpose .. as others have said, the real problem with a snubbie is that it takes some practice to feel confident you can hit what you aim with; I find my regular EDC Kahr PM9 much easier to shoot tight groups with at SD distances ... if you practice, a snubbie is a great choice ...

as far as price, spent $450 or so with tax for mine at Cabela's several years ago, I've seen them since for about $400 ... great price for Smith quality ...
Old August 17, 2012, 08:36 PM   #37
edfrompa

A 642 it is. What another fine firearm. Everyday carry for me.
Old August 17, 2012, 08:51 PM   #38
jolly roger

Have carried a J frame for 35 years. Two speed strips of Speer 135 Gold Dots always also. No better small CCW out there IMHO. Yes it does hide better than a G26. Carry that too on occasion. I'm just not much for the small 380s etc.
Old August 18, 2012, 07:09 PM   #39
rebs

Since the model 37 is not for use with +P ammo I have looked some more and found a new Smith snub nose 38 that is for +P ammo and its $100.00 more.
Just how important is +P ammo for CC in a snub nose 38 ? I mean a $100.00 is a good chunk of money to me as I am retired.
Is +P ammo that much better or necessary ?
Old August 20, 2012, 01:51 PM   #40
Pianoguy

I've tried several different size guns and while I would prefer to carry a compact 9mm semiauto I know I will always be able to carry my 642 one way or another. It's not the most fun to shoot and certainly not the easiest one to shoot accurately but it certainly is the easiest to carry and is rock-solid reliable.
Old August 20, 2012, 03:11 PM   #41
house

+1 for the model 642 I carry one all the time with 2 speed loaders. Don't even notice it cuz its so light.
Old August 20, 2012, 03:57 PM   #42
Slamfire

I like the M642, no hammer to snag, just double action only. The M638, "Bodyguard" you can thumb cock, and it is very snag free.

Old August 22, 2012, 10:08 AM   #43
Laz

Rebs said
Quote:
Since the model 37 is not for use with +P ammo I have looked some more and found a new Smith snub nose 38 that is for +P ammo and its $100.00 more.
Just how important is +P ammo for CC in a snub nose 38 ? I mean a $100.00 is a good chunk of money to me as I am retired.
Is +P ammo that much better or necessary ?
This just my opinion but here it is. I have an older model 37 and choose not to use plus p in it. My load of choice is the Federal 125 grain Nyclad. Mine is older stock but it has been re-issued, though apparently none too plentiful. There are other standard pressure loads from Hornady, Winchester, Federal and others. Many of them are a bit light at 110 grains but some believe that plain 158 grain SWC loads will do fine since few snubby loads reliably expand. None of the standard loads are as "good" as the best plus p loads but they are, I believe, better than any of the .380 loads from the ultra small pocket pistols around now.
Lastly, for me the recoil of the standard pressure Nyclads is optimum. Many plus p loads out of an airweight are nasty to shoot and harder to control. Not a thing wrong with using plus p but, in answer to your question, I don't believe it adds enough to the equation to worry much about it. I'm retired too, by the way. Life is good.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old August 22, 2012, 10:24 AM   #44
RichB69

LCR

I carry a 38sp+p lcr easy to conceal at light wieght. I'm 71 yrs old and find simplicity of operation to be best for me. Being an old man I'm afraid to many safeties and other buttons and levers could be confusing. The lcr is easy just point and shoot.

Rich
Old August 22, 2012, 10:33 AM   #45
dgludwig

Quote:
Being an old man I'm afraid to many safeties and other buttons and levers could be confusing.
I'm an "old man" too but the various appendages found on semi-autos have never been a source of confusion for me. But, then again, I shoot them a lot. On the other hand, the buttons on my computer can be perplexing at times.
Old August 22, 2012, 10:41 AM   #46
MLeake

I rarely carry only a J-frame - that would only be on shorts and t-shirt days, and even then it depends on the shorts and t-shirt. (IE, with belted shorts, I'll have an auto.)

But I often carry a J-frame as a BUG mode. This is particularly true in winter. I'll keep the 442 in an outer pocket of my heavy coat, typically on the weak-hand side. In many cases, it will be more accessible; it can be fired from the pocket if need be; and it's available in case my strong hand gets disabled or is required for fending off an assailant.
Old August 22, 2012, 10:45 AM   #47
Glenn E. Meyer

J frames are great guns. However, they are not the easiest to shoot well if the shot has some degree of excitement.

If one gets one - it is a good idea to practice and/or train with it.

I have 642 and 432 I carry a great deal. I also go shoot them to maintain skills. The semis are much easy to shoot with, unless you practice (as you should with any gun).
Old August 22, 2012, 04:35 PM   #48
rebs

I really like the model 37 air weight , it is in mint condition and only a very very faint cylinder circle mark. It is still an older gun and I can get a brand new smith snub nose 38 for around a 100.00 more. Would you go for the Model 37 or spend anothe 100.00 and get a brand new gun ?
Also what finish is on the air weights with aluminum frames that makes them look blued ? The newer ones look like flat black, but this model 37 actually looks blued with an excellent shine to it..
Old August 22, 2012, 09:38 PM   #49
pete2

I carry a 642, also carry an LC9 of recent. I shoot the LC better than the 642, who's a thunk it? The LC may become my regular carry gun if I ever come up with a holster I like.
Old August 22, 2012, 10:36 PM   #50
9mm

My 38 S&W pretty much lives in my shorts pocket. Nothing wrong with a 38 for CC. I did some training this week on it, and finally masterd the sights.