The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 1, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1
captianpattson

Stevens 620

Hi, I recently happened upon a stevens model 620. It's a beautiful gun, the metal is a rustic gray with no pitting at all, the wood looks like it was shellacked long before I was born. My question is how can I find out its approximate age. I know they were made as far back as the 40's, and some were used as trench guns (I don't think mine was due to the 30 inch barrel) I took it appart and cleaned it all out. Nearly every part is serial numbered (#2199). Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old April 2, 2012, 07:00 PM   #2
McShooty

The Stevens 520 pump shotgun was first sold in 1904. It had a square-backed receiver. Your Model 620 is a streamlined version of the 520 and was introduced in 1927 and was sold until discontinued in 1955. There are no production figures and I know of no way of pegging your model within its time frame, short of studying Stevens advertising for details over a period of time. Yours would definitely not be a trench gun. Perhaps you know, but if you don't you will be interested to know that the 520 and 620 were designed by John M. Browning, America's greatest gun designer. That in itself demands respect for this model. They were offered in 12, 16, and 20 gauge.
Old April 2, 2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Hawg

The early 520's had a stepped receiver.
Old April 2, 2012, 11:39 PM   #4
captianpattson

I did hear that somewhere. John browning was born not 30 miles from where I'm sitting now