The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 25, 2010, 08:56 PM   #1
SPUSCG

Is .223 unsutable for CRF?

I see a lot of companies advertise "CRF except .223". Why is this? I dont think its size, as 22250s come in CRF.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Crosshair

What is "CRF"?
Old February 25, 2010, 09:07 PM   #3
SPUSCG

controlled round feed
Old February 25, 2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Ridge_Runner_5

I dont understand the question.

ETA: After researching controlled round feed, I think it can be done.

It is loaded into the chamber via the push method, but I think several of the .223 weapons use a fixed ejector plate as opposed to a spring-loaded one...

Am I getting anywhere near right?

ETA Again: So, basically, a completely flat bolt face, like a shotgun. Pushes the round into the chamber, then closes on it.

When you pull the bolt back, a blade on the bolt guide rods sticks out and forces the cartridge out?
Old February 25, 2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

You're talking about a Mauser-style claw extractor, which is known for positive control feeding, as opposed to the later push feed actions?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:18 PM   #6
SPUSCG

Quote:
You're talking about a Mauser-style claw extractor, which is known for positive control feeding, as opposed to the later push feed actions?
yes
Old February 25, 2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Crosshair

Oh, it's probably because they don't want to both making a scaled down Mauser style action. CZ rifles have controlled round feed if I remember correctly.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:39 PM   #8
5whiskey

I think it really has more to do with base diameter and length of action than anything. It's alot easier to make the OAL of a push feed action shorter. Also, getting the small recessed "rim" of the .223 to feed into an extractor (think of the cartridge angle when considering long vs. short for a second) will be difficult (though possible). I don't see a huge disadvantage to a push-feed .223 anyway, so why ask for something that's not really needed?
Old February 25, 2010, 09:44 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

action size

Its not the round itself, its the action size. .22-250 uses the same common .473" head diameter, so all the action needs to be is appropriate to the length, and a number of .22-250s are built on actions longer than that case needs, and use a spacer to block the magazine for proper feeding. The bolt is the same as used for all the other calibers in that head size, .243, 6mm Rem, .308, .30-06, 7 & 8mm Mauser, and a lot of others.

The smaller case head of the .223 means using a smaller bolt, and action size, and there are very few true mini-Mausers using the claw extractor for controlled round feed. Check Kimber, Sako, and CZ, they did at one time have this kind of actions but I don't know if they are still being sold.
Old February 25, 2010, 10:52 PM   #10
SPUSCG

What do the current ruger hawkeyes use? Their site doesn't say anything about .223 not using controlled feed, so i guess it does? I know the fn model 70s i looked at use push feed for 223.
Old February 25, 2010, 11:07 PM   #11
bobn

just for a fyi heads up> i owned two different mini mausers that interarms imported a few years ago and neither on feed from the magazine. however my reming 799 did feed 222 from the magazine.....hope that helps on your search, bobn
Old February 25, 2010, 11:37 PM   #12
Jimro

Ruger M77 MkII

Definitely CRF, was offered in 223, probably still is.

Jimro
Old February 26, 2010, 08:24 AM   #13
rbernie

The issue is with bolt face size; most manufacturers don't want to rejigger their claw extractor to fit the smaller base/rim of the 5.56/223. Several have; the Zastava Mausers, the CZ, and the Ruger leap to mind.
Old February 26, 2010, 11:43 AM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
most manufacturers don't want to rejigger their claw extractor to fit the smaller base/rim of the 5.56/223. Several have; the Zastava Mausers, the CZ, and the Ruger leap to mind.
None of those are CRF in 223, they are push feed. Even the Ruger M77 Mk II in 223 is push feed, it has a different bolt face than other Ruger 77 Mk II chamberings. The issue with a CRF 223 has to do with making the action smaller so that the feed rails can release the round under the extractor, and no one wants to make a CRF action for the smaller catridge size. It would be cool, though!
Old February 26, 2010, 12:42 PM   #15
SPUSCG

So id want to look into a .22-250 for a crf cyote gun then?
Old February 26, 2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Jimro

Quote:
Even the Ruger M77 Mk II in 223 is push feed, it has a different bolt face than other Ruger 77 Mk II chamberings.
Last I checked on a 223 m77 mkII the only difference was a smaller diameter bolt face. But that was on an older "skeleton stock" Ruger. I did notice that the extractor claw was angled to snap over a round loaded into the chamber, but that is a pretty common feature on CRF rifles (and easy to modify an m98 extractor to snap over the rim too).

Anyways, I don't know what the big deal is with CRF. I've used both and both work fine.

Jimro
Old February 26, 2010, 01:20 PM   #17
SPUSCG

I just like it. I liek push and controlled feed, just CRF a bit more.
Old February 27, 2010, 02:11 AM   #18
LanceOregon

The CZ model 527 rifles are the ones you need to look at for a great handling coyote rifle in .223.

Old February 27, 2010, 05:01 AM   #19
curmudgeon1

I bought a used M4-style carbine last spring and used it for fun shooting at the range, lots of rapid fire and a little bump fire occaisionally; the claw of the extractor broke off after about 3,000 rds. I chalked it up to metal fatigue from snapping over the cartridge (as opposed to crf). Is my thinking about right here, or not ? I don't know who made the extractor, or the bolt.
Old February 27, 2010, 06:34 AM   #20
Jimro

curmudgeon1,

More than likely you were shooting ammo that was "hard extract". Either because you had a tight new chamber and were using steel cased ammo or some fouling built up and caused rough extraction.

What happens there is that the force required to pull the case from the chamber increases beyond the design specs for the extractor. In terms of strength, CRF simply has a bigger piece of metal pulling back on the cartridge rim than a PRF extractor.

In a tug of war between the two what fails first is the brass. In a repeated stress test the PRF extractor will fail first simply because it has less steel.

And then again, you could have simply had a bad extractor.

Jimro
Old February 27, 2010, 07:48 AM   #21
curmudgeon1

Yeah, lotta considerations there. This happened with PMC Bronze ammo, but since that extractor was replaced I've been paying a little more attention to the chamber when cleaning the carbine.Thx for the thoughts Jimro.
Old February 27, 2010, 09:08 AM   #22
tirod

Typically a bad extractor on an M4 type carbine is due to simply being cheap non milspec. Not knowing the source company for the parts is a key indicator the assembler (most don't really make guns) was using a value engineered source.

Three thousand rounds is another key indicator, M4's are known to run hard because of the carbine length gas system. Preventive maintenances would indicate that now is a good time to closely inspect all the parts on the bolt carrier group for fatigue cracking. Also inspect the bolt itself for a "MP" marking. If there is none, it indicates that only the batch was inspected by one random sample being tested, not each and every one as per military standards. The possibility of a defective one is higher when inspections aren't done.

Controlled round feeding is a debated topic left over from the '50s era of customizing Mausers after WWII. The people who sell that feature will always explain that it is superior - and the folks who don't, won't. Lots of highly accurate rifles don't have it, it doesn't really do anything to effectively improve the weapon. Don't let it be a major factor in selecting a bolt gun.
Old February 27, 2010, 10:23 AM   #23
rbernie

Quote:
it doesn't really do anything to effectively improve the weapon. Don't let it be a major factor in selecting a bolt gun.
I very much disagree with this statement; CRF has its place. In a bench/gaming/casual hunting rifle - maybe not. But any rifle that may be used in anger would be well served by controlling the feeding of the rounds at all times.
Old February 27, 2010, 10:39 AM   #24
SPUSCG

Im mostly a fan of the three position safety that comes on mauser actioned rifles, and crf may be an advantage in the field, ive only used the on the range but they feel very solid..
Old February 27, 2010, 01:36 PM   #25
Lloyd Smale

next time i have a rabid ground hog attacking me ill worry about whether i have controled round feeding or not.