The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 10, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1
1enforcer

Building an AR-15 for competition, whats the best barrel to go with?

I'm getting into competition shooting. I'm in the process of building my own AR-15 in .223. I will be shooting up to 400 yards. Which size barrel would be the best; 14, 16, 18, 20, 22 or 24 inch? Also, get a heavy or light barrel? Any recommened scopes? Anyone who can help, please do so.
Old May 10, 2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Casimer

What types of competition do you want to participate in?

Both the Wilson and Douglas match barrels have good reputations for quality and accuracy at a reasonable price. Kriegers are more expensive, but are renown for their durability - so they're often a good value for high-volume shooters.

20" is typical for precision shooting at longer ranges, but you might want something shorter for action oriented disciplines.
Old May 10, 2009, 04:12 PM   #3
1enforcer

thanks for your in put.
Old May 10, 2009, 05:56 PM   #4
zoomie

Look at White Oak. They advertise themselves as a match rifle builder, with tactical/hunting on the side.

http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/index.htm
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

I've got one of their 6.8 barrels and I've been very pleased.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:14 PM   #5
ltdave

will you be shooting primarily at 400yds or greater?

do you plan on shooting 'service rifle' style competition?

if so, 20", 1:7 or at least a 1:8 twist rate...

Wilson from WOA/WOP with proper front sight base (FSB) will set you back about $250. they are stainless...

you can go with a Douglas; you will get very similar results for about the same money...

if you go Krieger you will be able to say youve got a Krieger barrel and to be honest you probably wont be able to tell the difference in accuarcy. you MAY be able to detect a difference in longevity. barrel life depends on many variables so you cant make a blanket judgment that a K-brand barrel will automatically last longer than another...

if youre using it for run-and-gun competition, you can save some valuable weight by going with a Chrome-Moly barrel vs stainless. with very similar life span...

in MY experience CM barrels start losing accuracy from round one and gradually decreases to the point its noticeable beyond 300-400 yds. stainless will hold its accuracy up to a point at which it will just stop shooting well at the longer distances. think of them as alkaline batteries vs lithium...

give us a bit more information on what your intentions are...