The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 8, 2007, 05:10 PM   #1
protectedbyglock

Safes

What would be a good brand of safe to look at. I'm pretty sure I want a safe after looking at them at a local store. Are stack-on safes ok? They seem to be built pretty well. I'm not looking for something really fancy, just secure and will hold 10-15guns. I was just wondering if any of you had bad experiences with a certain brand or if you felt you would have been happier with something else, etc. I also posted in the buy/sell/trade section, but if anyone in PA/MD area has a safe they'd like to upgrade out of or something, let me know.
Old January 9, 2007, 04:02 PM   #2
skeeter1

I have a Stack-on, and it's pretty much bottom of the barrel, but it works. I'd buy another one. It was the biggest one that I could wrestle-up into the upstairs bedroom. Any safe larger would have to have gone into the garage, and I didn't want the firearms out there.
Old January 9, 2007, 04:34 PM   #3
shaggy

I think the best bang for your buck is with Amsec - I've got two and am very pleased with both. Look at the UL rating of the safe (not the fire protection) - most gun safes are RSC rated. A really good safe will have a TL or TRTL rating, but those will cost thousands of dollars more (think like $6-8k to start).
Old January 9, 2007, 08:32 PM   #4
protectedbyglock

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna end up buying like a Sentry or something from Wally World. They have the 14 gun for like $389. I looked at a bunch of them, and I've decided I don't need anything fancy, just something secure for my stuff. That should do it. I looked at a bunch of cabinets, too, and I really wanted a nice one, but a safe is a better idea, I think.
Old January 9, 2007, 11:45 PM   #5
skeeter1

Quote:
I looked at a bunch of cabinets, too, and I really wanted a nice one, but a safe is a better idea, I think.
Good thinking. I would have liked to get a nice gun cabinet at one time, but I just think the safe makes better sense.
Old January 10, 2007, 10:35 AM   #6
NCHornet

safes come in a wide variety, you have your sheet metal versions that are good for apartments and upstairs bedrooms, then you have your heavier models, I have a older cannon safe, it was made by cannon but under a different name, it has a Sgnt & Greenleaf lock, which is a good sign, 1/4" thick outer skin, and non pryable doors are things I look for. Fireproofing can be done on your own with fireproof sheetrock if you get a good deal on one that isn't fire proof. I don't care for the new digital locks, simpler is better, but you want a good lock. The Sgnt Greenleafs have been used on many different manufacturers for years and are drill proof. The bottom line is any safe is better than no safe. Good luck, happy shopping.
Old January 10, 2007, 03:36 PM   #7
brj

Quote:
I have a Stack-on, and it's pretty much bottom of the barrel, but it works. I'd buy another one. It was the biggest one that I could wrestle-up into the upstairs bedroom. Any safe larger would have to have gone into the garage, and I didn't want the firearms out there.
We have the same dilemma skeeter 1. I wish I had something stronger than the Stack-On but am somewhat limited with what can be maneuvered up the stairs. I'm like you, the garage is not an option.

I'm also concerned about the weight of a full size safe on a second floor residence. I'll have to upgrade to something soon though...whoever said buy more safe than what you think you will need was dead on !
Old January 10, 2007, 04:23 PM   #8
protectedbyglock

brj, you have a good point about buying more than you need. We all know how it goes, right?
That is why I was thinking someone here might be able to hook me up with their old one for an ok price. Heck, I'm already looking to upgrade to a bigger one than I was when I started looking at them a couple weeks ago.
Well, I gotta go pick up that Springfield XD I ordered. This has got to stop, or I'll be looking for a safe big enough to house me. I figure for every house payment I don't have to make, I can buy another gun. Hmmm......
Old January 11, 2007, 02:51 AM   #9
skeeter1

protectedbyglock--

You'll be surprised once you're not making house payments any more. I paid mine off several years ago, and now when I dare go into the gunshop and one strikes my fancy, well, there's one more to put in the safe!
Old January 11, 2007, 09:25 AM   #10
protectedbyglock

Congratulations, skeeter. I've got a long way to go for that.
However, I got my girlfriend into guns, and she's getting as bad as me. She bought me a glock 21 for my birthday, and claims that I get a new gun every year for our Anniversary. We'll see, right? I have this funny feeling that it's a terrible trap, and as soon as the hooks are set, she's gonna turn anti on me.
But I'm taking advantage of my good fortune for now, and working double time on my collection.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:56 AM   #11
skeeter1

Quote:
However, I got my girlfriend into guns, and she's getting as bad as me. She bought me a glock 21 for my birthday, and claims that I get a new gun every year for our Anniversary.
And you haven't married her yet? What the hell is the matter with you! Many of us would love to find a woman like that.
Old January 11, 2007, 12:10 PM   #12
skeeter1

Just a suggestion

If you do manage to get a larger safe upstairs, I'd suggest putting a 4'x4' piece if 3/4" plywood under it. Probably cost you only a few bucks, and it will probably work. If you bolt the safe into the plywood, it would make it darned hard for someone to steal it. I'm thinking about doing the same thing myself.
Old January 11, 2007, 01:43 PM   #13
protectedbyglock

Yeah, that's probably a good idea about the plywood. Also probably a good idea to marry her. She looks good shooting my SKS! I think I'll give it one more year, and if she one ups the G21, I'll buy her a ring.

I'm just joking, by the way... another glock would be fine.
Old January 11, 2007, 04:16 PM   #14
rrp

gun safes

Just be aware that what the manufacturer calls a 14 gun safe, will probably not hold 14 guns, unless they are all lever actions, with out scopes. You don't want to try to put your weapons too close to each other, because you will be putting dings in them. Especially if they are bolt action. This I know from my own goofs. I now have four safes and leave a little space between guns. Good luck and good shooting.