The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 26, 2013, 06:23 PM   #1
BerdanSS

Good contact with LEOs and a Shameless waste averted

Not really hunting but ends well.

Was driving into town this morning from our shop at about 8:30 ish and moved over for a local Sheriff deputy that was sitting in the speed lane, stopped with his lights on. when I got closer I saw a nice sized doe laying (looking like she just bedded down in the rain) in the median. The deputy was sitting on the edge of his open trunk on the radio holding his AR15.

I immediately got on the phone to the Sheriffs office and spoke to dispatch about what I had seen. Thirty minuets later (and after picking up the permit) I was helping load her into the back of my buddy's truck. He's out of work right now and things are tight to say the least. Dispatch and the deputy were extremely helpful, and excited about the deer not going to waste.

After dressing it out he got an Idea of what happened. Looks like she had been clipped in her right hind leg. Lower leg was shattered and her pelvis was broken. Sadly, she was carrying three babies, two males and one female that looked to be very healthy and were developing well. Looks like they were killed from the impact pretty quickly.

Sad that three more deer won't be in the woods, but it's self wildlife management I guess. Wish people would just slow the heck down. I've say on average 5-7 deer are killed on that same part of highway in about a five mile stretch.

But fact is she was hit and put out of any further suffering, the babies would of never made it and some good came out of it. The best part being that it wasn't a total waste Good people in need are going to have a decent bit of good meat. They took his number and said since he lives so close in the area, they'll call him the next time it happens. Saves the highway department from picking it up, and a lot of food that will be used to feed a more than deserving family.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2
David13

That's the way to do it.
I believe there are 1.5 million deer/vehicle accidents in the US every year.
dc
Old February 26, 2013, 07:18 PM   #3
wooly booger

glad the meat did not go to waste. Many states are finally passing laws allowing the scavenging of road kill.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:54 PM   #4
BerdanSS

It was a little bit of an ordeal, but not too bad. Just had to go to the Sheriffs office, give them the plate number of the vehicle the deer is being transported in, a copy of my drivers license and sign a couple forms. I'll admit I was actually shocked about their enthusiasm about getting the deer to someone that could use it. It was a pretty cool deal.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:41 AM   #5
RoosterBooster3632

Easy in WI

Easy to hit deer and easy to claim when hit. Live in northern WI and deer are hit by cars all the time. It is hard to avoid them at times. I hit one around a year ago. Was driving down the highway going around 63 and one came on a dead run out of the woods right in my path. No avoiding it, hit the brakes, hit the deer. Was probably still at 50 when I hit it. 8,000 pound truck, the deer flew into the air and then went tumbling down the pavement. By the time I stopped and got out the deer had stumbled to its feet and then ran off into the woods. Could not believe it. I'm sure it didn't survive and feed some coyotes most likely. If there is a fresh car kill here all they do is give you a number for the incident and you can then take the deer.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:14 AM   #6
BerdanSS

I don't think anything in Indiana is easy I mean it wasn't a mind numbing pain in the rear...but there was a 16 mile drive each way in the opposite direction of what I was headed, since you must physically be in possession of the permit from the county sheriff...but it was worth it for a good cause.

The vehicle didn't kill it per say. I mean it would of eventually died...But it had to be shot (which insured the freshness) Just on that one short stretch of road I'd say 8 deer average killed in a work week? Sometimes more, I've seen as many as nine the day AFTER the highway department makes their weekly run picking up a piled truckload of dead ones.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:41 AM   #7
shortwave

Here in Ohio, many areas that have a high rate of deer killed by vehicles have a system through their local LE in which the public can get the deer. You or your buddy can check with your local LE to see if there's a deer 'roadkill list' you can be put on.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Dave P

"I've say on average 5-7 deer are killed on that same part of highway in about a five mile stretch. "

Maybe you guys should move the deer crossing to a safer place!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K3MoxlCaJ4
Old February 28, 2013, 09:15 AM   #9
BerdanSS

Shortwave

When I talked to them, they didn't say anything about a list. But my buddy did say the officer wanted his phone number after he told the deputy that he only lives 3 miles from the area. I'm guessing they wanted it so they could call him the next time they have to shoot one?

Dave

LOL what a fruitcake! odd thing is, there aren't any deer crossing signs in the area
Old February 28, 2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Husqvarna

dammit Dave I was going to post that

Am I morbid in thinking that the fawn/fetus would be tender as hell?

I take care of alotta roadkill as I am on call from the cops when traffic accidents occur. very hit and miss if the meat is edible, sometimes it is trashed to much, sometimes the animals have been stressed too much by the whole ordeal.

never eat anything that I find already dead, best is it when I my dog catches it and I cna dispatch it with the knife
Old February 28, 2013, 05:41 PM   #11
markj

Quote:
Am I morbid in thinking that the fawn/fetus would be tender as hell?
Is squab

In Iowa, we call 911, cop shows up issues a tag right there for salvage and will head shoot the deer for you if still alive. The 250 deductable hurts a bit but the jerky is fantastic.

I live out in the country and have had many deer jump right into the side of my truck killing themselves. I first thought they were imported from the mid east and were suicide deer or sumting like dat....
Old February 28, 2013, 10:02 PM   #12
BerdanSS

Shockingly tiny amount of the meat was un-usable. The worst damage actually was from the officers AR15 rather than from the vehicle that hit her. I'll add that she was extremely healthy, clean animal. I'd guess either a second year or large first year.

well here it is, finished helping him process it this evening (we do all our own game processing during the year so we have all the equipment)

Fresh Burger

five pound bag of seasoned ground for jerky and a pan full of backstrap and tenderloin.

in addition to all that he also has another five pound bag of seasoned cuts for jerky and 10 pounds of Cajun spiced sausage sticks. They won't have to worry about buying meat for a while.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:45 PM   #13
shortwave

Quote:
Shockingly tiny amount of the meat was un-usable.
I've found this to be the case many times. When I lived in town, there was a park in which the deer herd was tremendous. Speed limit around the park was 35mph. Two-three deer killed a week like clockwork.

Used to be on the 'roadkill' list and cut up enough deer to fill my freezer and most of my siblings freezer. Never kept a questionable piece of meat.

Law was happy, they didn't have to fool with it...I was happy cause I got the meat. If the deer did happen to be torn up to bad or wasn't fresh, LE wouldn't even call. They put carcass on the list to be picked up by the sanitation dept.

All worked out well.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:53 PM   #14
BerdanSS

I hear ya, you got to be careful with meat. She was still alert and sitting up when I went past. 35 minuets at the most passed from the time she was shot to dressed, skinned and hanging in a 30ish degree garage. Heck, when we lifted it into his truck, you would of never know it had been hit by a car. The only evidence was the cracked pelvis, broken leg and some busing/clotting around the right hip and knee joint (all of which was discarded) after the hide was removed. The rest of the meat look as if it had been taken in season clean kill.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:06 PM   #15
jj320

Indiana isn't bad most officers carry road kill tags with them
Old March 1, 2013, 01:32 AM   #16
FrankenMauser

Can't touch roadkill around here. It's illegal possession, any way you look at it ("roadkill tags" don't exist).

On top of that, animal control can take as much as 9 hours to respond to a call; and Sheriff's deputies or Police officers are not allowed to discharge their weapons to dispatch non-threatening animals. So, anything that's injured gets to die a nasty death in 99% of the cases (very few people are willing to slit a throat - if they even have a knife available).

There's a stretch of road near me, that has about 1/2 mile of open space where it crosses a river, between two suburbs. In that 1/2 mile stretch, I figure there are 6 to 8 deer killed every week, on average. Very few of them die quickly, and most get left to rot for 5-10 days before animal control picks up the carcasses.

At the very most, they'll send a Sheriff's deputy or animal control officer to lop off a buck's antlers with a saw or bolt cutters, and drag the body farther off the road.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:02 PM   #17
Evan Thomas

Oddly, this is one of the few areas where Massachusetts has fairly sensible laws in place. For deer, it's basically "If you kill it with a car, you own it." The driver of the car that killed the deer (or a passenger in that car) gets first dibs. You have to notify Wildlife Enforcement, and then you have 24 hours to bring them the carcass and get a permit. No charge for the permit. If the driver of the car doesn't want it, WE, local police, or the highway dept., can dispose of it to pretty much anyone (Mass. resident) who wants it, with the same permitting requirements.

In the town where I used to live (happily, I'm no longer in Mass.) the police kept a list of people who did want deer, and would call them when the driver just went "Eeeww, no thank you!." A good reason to be on friendly terms with the local cops...
Old March 1, 2013, 08:15 PM   #18
WillyKern69

It drives me nuts that here in Texas they do not let you tag car hit deer. Yes, I know some guys will just hit them with thier truck then. but what a waste.

WK
Old March 1, 2013, 09:13 PM   #19
Doyle

Berdan, in Indiana do the permits have to be issued after the kill or could you get yourself a tag in advance "just in case"?
Old March 1, 2013, 09:18 PM   #20
sunaj

Glad to see good meat not going to waste
Old March 1, 2013, 11:03 PM   #21
BerdanSS

Doyle

Only after death in Indiana (or at least in Indiana countys of Morgan, Johnson and Hendricks) My apologies...it's an earful, just giving the full detail as the MCSD told me.

No tag involved. You are REQUIRED to contact the governing authority law enforcement agency. I'm guessing if it was in a township instead of out in the sticks someplace, you would contact the town police? For example: if you were still in Morgan county, but inside Brown township...you would call the Mooresville PD)

You must then go to their office to pick up a printed permit to posses, and or transport a game animal in the situation of: out of season, without a proper tag, wrong sex. There is no charge for the permit, just some paperwork, a copy of you drivers license and 10-30 minuets or so of your time. It will have a description of how the animal died: DOA, alive on arrival and had to be shot, alive on arrival and died from injury/other.

After all that you may then go retrieve the animal, no pre tagging to lay claim to it. Although if possible it would be wise to leave someone in the area the animal is located, to inform others that may try to stop and take it that you are in the process of doing so legally....and to leave it alone. The permit is kept on your person, no physical tag goes on the animal itself. From what I was told, you shouldn't even touch or examine the deer until you have contacted the correct LEA.

And it is absolutely illegal to do the following in Indiana (or at least in the countys I listed) without expressed permission from a LEA with jurisdictional authority.

Remove a struck/killed Deer from where it is laying (other than moving it from the road/shoulder to prevent further accidents) or any parts including antlers, even if they were broken off in the accident.

Shoot an injured animal with the intent to remove it, or any portion of it for personal gain without the proper permit.

In our county individual officers do not, in any way have the ability to print "tags", issue NTGPs (no tag game permits as they called it) from their patrol Vehicle. The permits are 24hour, dated, and specific to the animal reported and the approximate area they are located. An individual officer also does NOT have the legal authority to tell you "ahh, let me shoot it and you can just have it" While you can do that if the officer is okay with it, but your taking a risk of getting pulled over five miles down the road with an illegitimate animal that will obviously of been shot. You MUST go get the permit to make possession legit.

He didn't head shoot her either, 5.56 through the lungs point blank. Made a mess in the chest cavity.

Also, My buddy grilled me a burger for lunch this afternoon, as thanks for getting him the deer and helping process it. It was better than anything you'll get at Hardee's

Last edited by BerdanSS; March 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:15 AM   #22
Doyle

Sounds like a seriously broken system to me. Down here, if it's roadkill it's free for the taking.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:29 AM   #23
BerdanSS

Indiana loves over regulation.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:40 PM   #24
David13

FrankenMauser
I guess you mean Utah?
I did see a nice rack on the other side of the road from a smashed in Honda car there last year.
'The law' was on scene. So I didn't know about the law or local etiquette on getting the nice rack, plus I was on my motorcycle, so how could I carry a 10 point rack? (Tied to the front bars, maybe).
The year before I had one extremely close call with 3 deer in a row near Koosharam, and last year a friend of mine ruined his motorcycle splitting one in half near there.
In Mexico I came across a girl who ruined her car smashing two large cows (one with big horns?). That was just after I saw a dead horse by the side of the road.
And some others, just in the last year.
We were at the gun range in Bicknell last year; two elk hunters were target practicing. They didn't get an elk last season, but they did get a deer on their way to the range; with their truck.
dc
Old March 3, 2013, 03:22 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I guess you mean Utah?
I did see a nice rack on the other side of the road from a smashed in Honda car there last year.
'The law' was on scene. So I didn't know about the law or local etiquette on getting the nice rack, plus I was on my motorcycle, so how could I carry a 10 point rack? (Tied to the front bars, maybe).
Yea.
Passing that cop was a good idea. Possessing antlers in Utah requires one of two things: 1. The tag/permit from the original kill. Or, 2. A bur at the base, indicating it was a naturally-shed antler.
Anything attached to a skull plate, without the original permit, is considered prima facie evidence of poaching. Any antler detached from a skull plate, without a natural bur, falls into the same category.