The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 4, 1999, 08:03 AM   #1
anesthesia

A friend of mine asked me if I could find some information on a pistol that his father gave him more than 70 years ago. I know nothing about guns and have not seen the pistol, but here is his discription. A black powder single shot percussion type about 50 cal. with a rifeled barrel. There is a fold up knife or bayonet under the the barrel which pops up via the trigger. Markings on the gun are hard to read but it looks like caston pasingstoke. The person who directed me to this site offered that it might be Gaston and be of French make possibly a navy weapon. Any information would be most welcome as my friend is 84 and has always wondereed about this guns origin. Thanks and happy 4th to all!
Old July 4, 1999, 09:45 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Anesthia:
Are you sure it is a percussion piece? There are similar pieces, which you describe, that are flint-locks. Additionally, if you take a #2 pencil, pencil over the name, not just the letters individually, but over the whole name. This sometimes will enhance the stamped marking.

If there are any other markings, please do the same thing and let me know. Any markings, on the pistol, stock, grip, even under the barrell, inside the wood.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited July 04, 1999).]
Old July 4, 1999, 12:26 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

There is a French marked piece (Correvon A Yverdon) which matches what you've described. It features a bifurcated hammer nose which allows for two nipples and two percussion caps for the same powder chamber on the single shot pistol (guess they wanted to ensure ignition). A long bayonet is mounted beneath the barrel and trigger guard with its point held by a catch in the pistol grip. There is a button on the pistol grip which is located right above the catch. When depressed, a heavy spring allows the bayonet to spring outwards.

Can you provide more details? Is the bayonet slung parallel to the barrel? Is the lock a backaction type? Where is the trigger which releases the bayonet located?

Source: Lewis Winant's, "Firearms Curiosa", pages 226-229.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old July 5, 1999, 06:36 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Basingstoke is a town in England, southwest of London. The inscription is probably the name of the retailer rather than the manufacturer. Proof marks should show at least the country of origin. Can you describe any that are on the gun?

Jim
Old July 6, 1999, 02:38 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

While we're on the subject of dagger equipped percussion pistols, I have before me a picture of a double barrel (side by side) pistol made by George Wilbraham of London. The bayonet fits beneath the barrels (parallel) and is released by pulling back on the trigger guard. The blade appears to be only 3" long.

Source: Howard Blackmore's, "English Pistols."

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited July 06, 1999).]