The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 9, 2005, 09:08 AM   #1
StormTrooper

BSA Red Dot sights

I am looking at the BSA RD50SB 50mm sight for my Beretta Cx4.
Anyone have one or experience with these at all? Ease of use, viewing area, setup etc...? Other suggestions welcome, please keep in mind I am not sure I am ready for a 4-5 hundred dollar sight yet. This one seems to list for about $129.00, is it worth it or should I wait?
Old October 9, 2005, 02:54 PM   #2
hknut

BSA Red Dot

I have a BSA RD30SB and it works very well for the plinking roll I use it in. I originally bought it as a fun way to teach my kids the basic's of a scope, without the usual problems of teaching the kids anything. It was on the Ruger10/22, and then it made its way to my AR15, it handles the recoil well. Only problem is after 2 or 3 mags of rapid fire I have to tighten up the attachment screws.
Old October 9, 2005, 06:07 PM   #3
StormTrooper

HKnut,

thanks for the feedback. I actually read another post for red dots and the same thing was said but in regards to the lifespan of the unit as a whole. Basically that they do not hold up to the recoil of most arms and eventually the insides begin to tear themselves apart. I am looking for something for my Beretta Cx4 but am not ready to spend the cake on an Aimpoint or EOTech sight just yet, though one is getting closer and closer to the top of my christmas list. If anyone has feedback on the EOTech holo sights i would love to hear about it.

again, thank you
Old October 9, 2005, 07:24 PM   #4
eerw

How is the dot???

how bright in sunlight is it?? and is the dot round and sharp or kind of hazy..

thanks
Old October 9, 2005, 10:30 PM   #5
boing

The dot isn't very crisp, and it washes out (almost) completely in bright light.

Double-checking, mine is actually an RD30. Maybe the SB models are "Sharp & Bright"?
Old October 9, 2005, 10:36 PM   #6
warthog5

Here's one for $88.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bsa-opti...ht-rd50sb.html
Old October 12, 2005, 01:20 PM   #7
hknut

Red dot's

StormTrooper, I do believe that BSA's have a lifetime warrenty on them. Also you might want to check out Hakko of Japan, they make a $120.00 copy of the Aimpoint our Army carries. I bought a used one for $80.00 shipped. Hakko used to be the original maker of the Shepard, and Springfield Armory scopes! As far as brightness goes the BSA has 11 brightness levels, which I have never lost in the sunlight yet.
Old October 12, 2005, 11:17 PM   #8
Dave Haven

Quote:
Maybe the SB models are "Sharp & Bright"?
Actually, it refers to the "Shadow Black" finish.
I have the RD30/22SB on my RWS Model 48 .22 cal. air rifle. It's a GREAT air rifle sight.

Last edited by Dave Haven; October 13, 2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old October 12, 2005, 11:37 PM   #9
StormTrooper

HKnut,
Thanks, I'll look into the Hakko. I was looking into the EOTech's but damn, I can almost buy the handgun I'm looking at for the price of one.

SB..."stays bright"...Ha! Maybe its "smart bullet" you dont even have to aim anymore. I need something because after about 50yrds Its getting a little tougher to keep a 3" group. I guess the eyes are getting older.
Old October 13, 2005, 12:35 AM   #10
eerw

well..just ordered a BSA to try out...wanted something inexpensive to try out this smith 22a I just got...
Old October 13, 2005, 09:45 PM   #11
topspin43

Got my NIB BSA 30 Red Dot on Ebay for $19 including shipping. Give it a shot... totally enjoy this sighting system on my Buckmark. It is so accurate, I can visually break up a BULLSEYE into quadrants at 10 yards and hit any quadrant at will. I am nowhere close with my other pistols.