The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 26, 2002, 10:43 PM   #1
Popsicle

Remington 11-87 vs. Beretta vs. Browning autoloaders

Hi everyone. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing an autoloader for my sporting clays and skeet shooting habit. I have always used pumps for these pursuits, and while they definitely perform great, there are a couple of shots on my home course where an auto, or O/U, for that matter would be a great help. I was leaning rather heavily towards an 11-87 premier 12 ga., as I owned one years ago and really liked it... it complements the 870 in the handling dept. rather nicely. However, all my gun club buddies are steering me toward a Browning gold or Beretta 390 or 391, stating they are much more durable. I shoot 100 to 150 rounds per week most of the year. Will the 11-87 drive me nuts with broken parts, or will I be happier with the gun I would prefer. I won't buy it however, if it won't hold up in the long run. As a last note, I would do 99% of my shooting with 3 dram, 1-1/8 oz. loads. Thanks for the advise!

Pat Brophy
Old August 27, 2002, 05:29 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Technoid over on Shotgun Report, AKA Bruce Buck, writes that the Berettas hold up better and longer than the Remingtons. The Site also has some info on keeping various gas guns working.

All the 390-391 shooters I've met seem a happy lot as far as breakdowns go.

The only down side I see to the Beretta guns is they have muddy triggers.This can be fixed, but at the prices they go for, one shouldn't have to.
Old August 27, 2002, 05:42 AM   #3
dfm

I've owned all three and prefer the 11-87 over the other two. I like the fact that it has a steel receiver, is American-made, is totally reliable, and has a great feeling stock for the average guy. It needs a little hotter ammo then the other two brands but any standard 1oz. target load+ will make it go. It's extremely easy to clean/maintain, also.

However, the Beretta is, by far, the auto I most often see at trap, skeet, and SC tournaments. The Beretta will handle virtually any strength ammo and still run whether ultra light 7/8oz. or 3" mags. The gas system can go 3000 rounds or so before needing a scrubbing. If they weren't durable enough I'm sure that the tournament boys wouldn't bother with them. Their only drawback is that they're a bit of a PITA to clean.

The Gold is a nice weapon but doesn't seem to have near the following of the Beretta. Those that I've owned/shot handled well and were completely reliable. They, too, will handle a variety of ammo but don't have quite the range that the Beretta's do.

All three are fine guns and it pretty much boils down to what feels best to you. But the Beretta is most often seen in the hands of guys that really shoot alot. I guess that about says it all.

dfm
Old August 27, 2002, 07:33 AM   #4
HSMITH

I have owned 2 11-87's and both were junk. Both were made in the mid 90's. Neither would stay running for long, but it was not broken parts. They just did not like to cycle for any period of time regardless of maintenance. I have an 1100 from the early 70's that is awesome, it runs and runs and runs. The remingtons generally fit me quite well out of the box, so I shoot them well. I just cannot tolerate the reliability. An uncle has one that runs quite well, but I gave up on them. I really doubt that you could wear an 11-87 out with your schedule unless you are 10 now and are gonna live to be 100. There are some common failures on the 1100 and 11-87, but spares are cheap and easy to install. Shotgun Sports magazine sells a kit that will keep you going for a LONG time. An 11-87 that is reliable would be great, I really like the gun and the fit.

I had a Browning Gold for a while. It was a darn nice gun. It ran well, and shot well. I only put 3-4K rounds through it though. Mine was a 3.5" model I bought for duck hunting, and I could not bring myself to paint it to cut the glare. I sold it for what I paid for it rather than get it camo dipped. Picked up a SuperX2. You may want to look at them as well, I love mine. It is the best auto I have ever owned.

I have not owned a Beretta but I have shot them. They are really nice. From what I have seen with shooting buddies that own them is that the honeymoon is not always a good one. They tend to be tight, and need some break-in time. Once through the honeymoon they run well. If you get one shoot a couple cases of handicap type loads through it right off the bat, it should serve you well.