The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2009, 10:43 PM   #1
harabas

Priming Winchester Brass

Bought some new Winchester .243 brass and I am having serious problems seating the primers. Most of the time, they only go in about 2/3 of the way. Occasionally one will seat, but the majority won't. I'm using a Lee Autoprime with the large tray and the proper seating rod. I even bought a new Autoprime and still have the same problem. I don't have any problems seating Federal or Remington brass. Has anyone seen this before?
Old November 12, 2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You see it all the time in military brass which is once-fired, but has the remnants of a primer crimp that has to be removed. If this is new commercial brass, it sounds like a defect. I assume you are using the same primers you did in the other cases you mentioned?

The cure is likely to be the same as the military brass. You need either a primer pocket swager or a primer profile cutting tool. The best of the former is the Dillon Super Swage 600. It is faster than anything else and has plenty of compound leverage. RCBS makes a simple press adapter, but it is not as hardy. The other option is the profile cutter on the L.E. Wilson case trimmer. It will fix your issue with style. If you have a Wilson trimmer, it is just a cutter than replaces the trim cutter. The drawback is much slower speed and turning its knob is harder on fingers. Mine get sore from turning the knurling on it after a little while. But it cuts beautiful shiney profiles.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 12, 2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Randy 1911

Are they Wolf primers? I have had that problem with Wolf primers. I now only use Win. primers. Other than that I don't know, maybe a bad batch of brass.
Old November 14, 2009, 09:01 AM   #4
digisol

Loaded countless of all brands and types, the last lot of new 222 Rem brass were 50/50 some were very hard some were OK, you might have a dodgy lot, measure some up and check, if no good seek a refund or replacement lot of brass.

Win brass is normaly pretty easy to prime, and that's been in 7mm mag, 25:06, 222, 9mm, 45, 357, 44 amd 40m and many thousands of each and probably 80% were Win brass.

Of course different primers can mean different thickness in the cups, check this too.
Old November 14, 2009, 10:53 AM   #5
LHB1

Quote: "Bought some new Winchester .243 brass and I am having serious problems seating the primers."

What brand/type of primers are you using? New, unfired Win brass? Have you tried Win primers? Was the Federal and Remington brass also new, unfired or had it been fired?
Old November 15, 2009, 07:14 AM   #6
flashhole

Uniforming the primer pockets will eliminate that as a variable you assign to the brass. There are several hand held uniformers on the market that do a good job. I have the EJS model for both primer pocket uniformer and flash hole uniformer. It accomodates both large and small primer pockets. The black rubber cap is concealing the large cutter in the photo. Both are a one time operation and well worth it for rifle loads.

Are you ready for civil war?