The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 14, 2014, 10:10 AM   #51
tmorone

Hit one in the "shield" with a 125gr 300BLK a month or so ago. AAC Pink Tip bullet, loaded to about 2050-2100 fps. Went down like a sack of bricks.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:36 AM   #52
Unlicensed Dremel

Definitely the ones you said that you shoot better with, since all of those are perfectly adequate, being premium bullets.
Old February 21, 2014, 09:28 AM   #53
Wyosmith

"You gotta love the editing and parental monitoring on this site at times. Poofing posts have appeared in this thread. "

Yup, they do the liberals job better than most of the liberals do it.

(for the same reasons we have to assume)
Old February 21, 2014, 10:13 AM   #54
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Considering that many folks think that my politics are off to the right of Attila the Hun--but then again, he was pretty liberal, come to think of it. Same for Barry Goldwater or Jesse Helms.

Remember the deal y'all signed up for? Responsibility with guns? Courtesy and politeness? Staying on topic? Leave "bad words" somewhere else and don't bring them here? We have women and younguns and preachers who read what we write. Why offend them?

Easy enough. Just act like grownups. If I can fake it, so can you.
Old February 21, 2014, 10:40 AM   #55
Saltydog235

Gotcha Art, from now on there won't be anymore jokes on the removal of a hog's testicular parts and definitely no jar or Star Trek references.
Old February 21, 2014, 02:07 PM   #56
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Just realize that I've been a smart-mouth since I learned to talk--and that was around 1937 or so. Tamara's blog is a daily must, so I can get my snark fix. I'm fairly fluent is Cussology in some six languages. I've yet to lose a dirty-limerick contest. Folks regularly say of some of my ideas, "Art, you're evil!" Well, yeah, you got that right, Bubba.

So I figure that if I can behave myself in public, so can others. No biggie.

In these threads, humor is fine. A bit of thought is helpful.
Old February 22, 2014, 07:11 AM   #57
Ibmikey

Hopefully Old Stony will respond with some photos of the boar he shot last night. The " shield" must have been in the down position.
Old February 22, 2014, 03:17 PM   #58
Old Stony

Last night

I seem to be illiterate as far as computers go. I can't seem to get my pic's small enough to post, but last night's hog was a boar about 300+ lbs or so.
He had 2 1/2 inch tusks. I got him with an AR, using 55 gr. fmj's, and nightvision..... he dropped in his tracks. No problem if you catch them with their shields down.
Old February 22, 2014, 09:15 PM   #59
iraiam

I have some friends that own a chunk of property in an area plagued by these invasive hogs. Their weapon of choice is the M1A. Before that they used SKS rifles.

I would note that they don't hunt these hogs for sport, they are out to kill them, or at least control them enough to keep the damage to their land down.

The only time I went, I used my SKS with the standard 123 grain FMJ or HP, I had no trouble bringing them down with shoulder shots right through the shield.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; February 22, 2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old February 22, 2014, 11:42 PM   #60
skizzums

the only way to get pics small enough is to use photobucket.com

upload your pics to there and the paste the link to it here, or just copy and paste the img url, not hard once you do it
Old February 23, 2014, 09:31 AM   #61
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If you have a photo in "My Pictures", you can edit it to fewer pixels. "Resize".
Old February 24, 2014, 09:55 PM   #62
myfriendis410

My point is that if you go out under gunned, you will eventually lose a hog. Period. Treat 'em with some respect as the big game animal they are. That doesn't apply to where they are a nuisance. Shoot 'em with what you've got and kill all you can.

Having personally witnessed a 7mm mag round bounce off, a 165 Sierra GameKing out of a .300 Weatherby splash off the shield and having shot one a LOT with a 22-250 I'll stick to the tried and true deep penetrating large caliber stuff. I try not to make my game animals suffer needlessly. You do what you want.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:53 PM   #63
Keg

Quote:
My point is that if you go out under gunned, you will eventually lose a hog. Period. Treat 'em with some respect as the big game animal they are. That doesn't apply to where they are a nuisance. Shoot 'em with what you've got and kill all you can.

Having personally witnessed a 7mm mag round bounce off, a 165 Sierra GameKing out of a .300 Weatherby splash off the shield and having shot one a LOT with a 22-250 I'll stick to the tried and true deep penetrating large caliber stuff. I try not to make my game animals suffer needlessly. You do what you want.
This is the point I was trying to make....We give $20 bounties on pigs....U shoot it in the gut..yes..it runs off and dies..but we need em down quick....If they don't go down quick..they will be in deep brush soon....I have seen pigs shot multiple times with an AR or SKS..some still ran....The first shot should put down any pig(if a good shot)..but the rest of the group is running....Plus a smaller type pig can't take the abuse a big heavy boar can....
Old February 27, 2014, 12:03 PM   #64
NCummins

A 7mm magnum bounce of a 2" layer of fat? Man you are funny.
Old February 27, 2014, 03:39 PM   #65
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Having personally witnessed a 7mm mag round bounce off, a 165 Sierra GameKing out of a .300 Weatherby splash off the shield
That's some amazing eyesight seeing some amazing things.

I am sure you recovered both the hogs and the bullets, right?
Old February 27, 2014, 04:48 PM   #66
Old Stony

I guess someday I'll have to strip the "shield" off of a hog and do some experimentation with it. Maybe they just don't make a 300 Weatherby like they used to? Given the fact that a 300 would probably defeat any ballistic vest, that must have been some tough hog! I guess this guy from a few nights ago must have been a wimp.....he dropped in his tracks with a .55 fmj out of a 223 @ 100 yds
Old February 28, 2014, 07:43 AM   #67
Double Naught Spy

Hey, OS, you got a Photon boar. Good for you!

Are you sure he was dead? I keep reading about much more powerful bullets just bouncing off shields left and right.
Old February 28, 2014, 08:18 AM   #68
Saltydog235

Quote:
Having personally witnessed a 7mm mag round bounce off, a 165 Sierra GameKing out of a .300 Weatherby splash off the shield
Not to switch livestock but bulls%^$.

Of course if I tell my wife this she might let me get that Westley or Holland double rifle in Gibbs, Rigby, Nitro or something similar. I'm thinking she's probably going to tell me to shoot for the head or put more powder in the loads though. Stay tuned, daddy might be about to get another piece of iron.
Old February 28, 2014, 10:08 AM   #69
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

This is getting to the old 'round and 'round and 'round stage of things, so Nuff Fer Now.
Closed Thread