The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 4, 2014, 07:37 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Bushnell 2xMP vs Meopta Meosight II

I am mentally spending a small fortune on bit for my as yet unacquired VZ58.

I want to get a rail. It will probably go over the barrel, rather than receiver. thi restricts me to red-dot type sights due to eye relief limitations in optics. My existing red-dot had rimfire duty until I put my Ruger MkIII up for sale. It is a TruGlo, with a selction of reticles. It is not so good, but may be up to the job. The best aspect is that it has a 3MOA dot option and that was the finnest reticle in its price range

Typically stuff is over priced here, but I did see two models of similar price that, whilst steep, would not break the bank the same way an EOtech or ACOG might.

The ACOG-ish Bushnell 2xMP red dot and the low profile, discrete Meopta Meosight II.

What can you tell me about these two?

Some will ask about my intended use. IPSC matches, range work from 10 yds to 300yds (but probably 10-100 the majority of the time), potential HD duty if that is what came to hand, perhaps even a spot of boar hunting, but also simply complimenting a fine battle rifle.

My immediate thought is the Bushnell: appears tougher and the larger lens would give a greater FoV and may suite the look more. The meopta is more the style I'd expect to see on a Open Division Tangfolio.

Which would you choose and why?

(REMEMBER: I don't have your choice of goods here and I can't order from US websites: these are the two on sale at a price that doesn't bring me to tears, but either would cost more than the rifle they'd be fitted to: puts it in perspective, I think!)
Old September 5, 2014, 03:55 AM   #2
Pond, James Pond

Has no one here ever used either?
Old September 5, 2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

Well, I'd never heard of either, but I seriously doubt that the 2X Bushnell has "unlimited" eye relief as claimed, nor will it have nearly as good of field of view as a 1x. Is the Meopta a 1x? I'd go with that for sure, if it's a 1x, for that type of rifle (close quarters, primarily).
Old September 5, 2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I'd go with that for sure, if it's a 1x, for that type of rifle (close quarters, primarily).
Well, I'd still like to take longer shots with it and I imagine it is easy to do so with that than irons at 300m!!

Would it meet that criterion or is it just the wrong part for the job?
Old September 5, 2014, 02:45 PM   #5
Unlicensed Dremel

No - 2x will *definitely* make any shot past 50 yards easier than 1x. So maybe that's dispositive for you.. I just meant that for ME, that rifle would be a CQB only rig.

But do you have a link to the Meopta? I cannot find it. The Meopta will be higher quality but what's the price, and is it 1x only? Certainly the 2x may trump the quality issue if your goal is multi-purpose rifle.

I mean, are you going to buy in person where you can check the eye relief before buying? How many inches of eye relief do you think you need?

I've just never seen a magnified optic that didn't have a limit somewhere on eye relief. Even the 1x Leupold Prismatic tops out at around 10" or so. So I'm just not buying that from Bushnell. But maybe it's true.

Test before buying however. In my view though, ditch all ESDs for a "multi-purpose" rifle where it's not strictly CQB, and get something like a Leupold VX1, 1-4x20 or one of the many similar optics "made for ARs". But if you need more than 4-5" of eye relief, then switch it up to a scout scope or Nikon Omega 1.65-5x36 - which has 13.5-14" of eye relief on 1.65x and about 5.5-6" of ER on 5x.

I guess if the mount is over the barrel, forget the standard scopes. Can you bump up the budget to $400 to get a Leupold Prismatic 1x14? Are you open to a traditional variable power magnified optic? Can't help but wondering if the 2.5x or 2.75x fixed Leupold or Burris scout scopes would fit the bill. But even they cost more than $200. What's your max realistic budget here?

One of the best ideas is the Trijicion RMR-DI - no batteries, light, and truly unlimited but it's around $500 - I'm guessing that's out of reach?

I suppose, in the end, even if the Bushnell 2x doesn't have "unlimited" eye relief, it has "enough", 98% chance, so that may be ticket for you, if you can't bump the budget to $250-$300 to snag the Leupold or Burris scout scopes (or if the ER on them isn't enough).

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; September 5, 2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old September 5, 2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
How many inches of eye relief do you think you need?
The CZ looks loosely like an AK . One thing they share is a rear sight that is some way ahead. The rail I'm thinking of getting once I have the rifle will be along the handguard that sits over the piston. Essentially the red-dot will sit directly over my support hand.

Linkies:
Meosight II

In other words eye-relief is an issue. That is why a low mag scope would not work for me. I don't want to get a modified receiver cover and i don't want to drill the receiver for the stardard side mounted rail, so optics are out.

What about an EOTech 512?
I can get those for €400