The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 5, 2016, 03:33 PM   #1
Dashunde

Flying Southwest St Louis/Tampa

Hey all, about to fly Southwest from STL to Tampa and back with a couple of pistols.
Has anyone had any issues with either of those airports TSA or Southwest?

The guns will be in a Pelican 1200 with non-TSA locks.
I intend to empty the guns and leave the magazines loaded and placed in the bottom underneath the guns & foam.
Are there any problems with my plan?
Old February 5, 2016, 03:55 PM   #2
JWT

My son flew from Phoenix to Boise on Southwest right after Thanksgiving. He checked a S&W Shield 9mm and said it was very easy to do. The people at the check-in counter knew exactly what to do and it took very little time and was hastle free.
Old February 6, 2016, 08:18 AM   #3
Ted D

I fly lot Unload your mags, put your ammo in the orginal box. when get to the counter tell them you have a firearm to check in. Than you are set to go. oh keep the key in your pocket.
Old February 6, 2016, 09:00 AM   #4
SamNavy

You have to know both Federal and individual carrier rules. Your plan has no flaws as far as the TSA is concerned. They're FAQ page all but encourages you to keep the ammo in magazines... however, some airlines specifically prohibit loaded mags... American is one. Each airline has a webpage easily Google'able that spells out their transportation of firearms and ammo policy.

EDIT:
Here is the Southwest page... specifically says loaded mags are fine.https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ggage-pol.html
Old February 6, 2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Bucksnort1

Sam Navy,

I believe you have coined a new word for the dictionary - Google'able. I would omit the apostrophe - Googleable. It's kinda like the German language. It merges three or four stand alone words to make one.
Old February 8, 2016, 11:32 PM   #6
Dashunde

That was easy, a complete non issue. The only specific requirement I found was that the loaded magazines needs to be in a cut-out in the foam instead of just being underneath squeezed in place.
The STL Southwest ticket agent was on the ball and breezed right through the check-in.
I dont think the TSA even looked in the bag, nothing disturbed, no note left behind.

Will have to wait a few days to see if Tampa is as easy...
Old February 9, 2016, 02:23 AM   #7
chris in va

Some TSA offices are quick and professional, some...not so much. The one at DFW really wasn't thrilled with me and had some terse attitude. Huntsville thought I was an LEO and handed me a form to fill out so I could carry on the plane. I had to politely tell the painfully new guy I was not LEO, and he started stammering and shaking. A more senior agent took over and things went smoothly after that.

I arrived back in Dulles to find my bag missing for over an hour after the caurosel had shut off. I finally tracked down someone to help and behold, my bag was sitting in a corner behind the claim with a TSA 'Love Letter' inside.

My advice, keep your ammo at home or in a factory box, NOT LOOSE. Don't leave it in the mag. Get there early as the TSA agent will have to rifle through your bag and send it through some sort of big donut looking device (at least in my case). One agent used a small wood stick to move things around.

Oh and I asked about what lock should be used. One agent looked at me a second and said there isn't a lock they can't open. He said they have 'master keys' for every common lock on the market.

EDIT: I see you already got back, congrats.

Last edited by chris in va; February 9, 2016 at 02:31 AM.
Old February 9, 2016, 03:13 PM   #8
SamNavy

The rules for each airline are pretty straightforward. You can never go wrong with taking ammo in the factory box (not bulk packs), or in a standard plastic reloading box, and then putting that ammo in a separate case from your guns. I have several small Pelicans that I take when I'm only travelling with pistols... the 1200/1400 models are perfect and will go inside any normal luggage... just remember to put TSA locks on them if they're only carrying ammo and not firearms.

The SOUTHWEST policy actually reads:
Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).
Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.

Ie, if you had put your mags in another "box" (cereal box?) and wrapped them in a t-shirt, AND placed them in with the guns, it would have satisfied the requirement that having them smashed under the foam did not, because if in the same hard-case, you need cutouts in the actual foam... makes no sense at all, but the rules are at least clearly written. Some airlines it's a bit more vague and open to interpretation.

I've flown a bunch with a pair of completely packed Pelican 1720's... and I mean packed. No cutouts for anything... and all my guns, knives, mags, ammo, loaded mags, ammo boxes, cleaning stuff, bipods, etc... all just thrown in with the center foam removed and everything wrapped in t-shirts. I've never once had an issue. However, I think I'm gonna get a bit more organized for my next trip... good excuse to buy a few more cases.

AMERICAN:
Ammunition must be:
In the original packaging from the manufacturer or in packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition (made of fiber, wood or metal). Ammunition is not accepted in magazines or clips.

DELTA:
Ammunition must be:
In the original packaging from the manufacturer or in packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition (made of fiber, wood or metal). Ammunition is not accepted in magazines or clips.

UNITED:
No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.

ALASKA... holy cow, that's pretty specific:
On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3300-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

JET BLUE:
Ammunition for the firearm cannot be placed in the same container as the firearm, but may be in the same checked bag as long as everything is packaged properly. Ammunition must be housed in a separate container that is completely separate and distinct from the firearms locked box. The ammunition must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal box specifically designed for carrying small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition is limited to 11 pounds per customer. Ammunition will not be permitted in carry-on or checked baggage on international flights.
Old February 9, 2016, 11:49 PM   #9
Dashunde

I wonder how "they" came up with the seemingly obscure maximum of 11 pounds for ammo?