The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 7, 2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Chris37

Starting a gun collection...iconic firearms?

I posted on here a few weeks ago when I purchased my first ever handgun- a Beretta M9 Commercial Model. I wanted something easy to shoot with a low recoil and found the M9 to be wonderful. Ever since that first purchase, I've found myself looking at guns more and more online and thinking about starting a small collection. Obviously I know guns shouldn't be an investment but there seem to be quite a few firearms that have been steadily gaining value over the years.

A week ago I purchased my SECOND gun online, had it shipped to my FFL, and I'm now the proud owner of a 1973 Smith and Wesson Model 19-3. Attached are the pics of both of my purchases together. I paid $430 for the Model 19 and $550 for the M9; not sure how I did deal-wise (I purchased the M9 BNIB). I'm happy with my purchases thus far and would like to slowly start a small collection of various, iconic firearms. Mind you, I also intend to shoot everything I buy.

Do you all consider yourselves a "collector" or merely a shooting enthusiast? I'd like some suggestions on different guns to look at that would be almost necessary to have in a collection. The next purchase I'm really eyeing is a Smith and Wesson Model 29-2; seems like a very iconic firearm that has the possibility to gain value over the years.

After the 29-2 purchase I'm open to other firearm suggestions; maybe a Colt 1911 or a Glock 19-4? Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA_IMAG0002.jpg (166.3 KB, 196 views)
Old August 7, 2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Apom

I just like to shoot my handguns. I dont think I will ever have the money to actually collect older firearms. Currently I own only 4 guns but plan on getting more. There are so many in the world that I hope to have a variety of them. Im sure after some years I will find a brand I like and stick with it. But for now, I'm buying from all companies.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3
mavracer

Quote:
This doesn't end well I started with a similar idea and can tell you there's no end in sight.
Sure a 29-2 is on the list for sure "the original dirty harry"
you'll need a classic snub.
You'll need a 1911 but which one a GI clone, a target pistol or a dolled up modern combat/ccw, Awe heck make it a 1/2 dozen 1911s.
You'll need a BHP and a CZ75 or clone.
No collection of Icons would be complete without a SAA.
that ought to do for a start
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 7, 2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Master Blaster 2

By 7 firearms a year and by the time you are 60 like me you will have a very big collection. You must buy what you want and like. It is your collection.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:49 AM   #5
jager.30-06

m1911a1, john moses brownings gift to all of us! all my other weapons are so jealous, while they hang out in the safe-my 1911 lays 2' from where I sleep.

more sug's

browning high power
walther ppk
colt peacemaker
p-38

these all seem "iconic" to me in the sense you instantly recognize them
Old August 7, 2012, 11:58 AM   #6
1stmar

Agree with all previous comments... You don't indicate if it is only a hand gun collection, if it includes long guns.. Virtually any jmb weapon, certainly a model 94 Winchester, colt woodsman, model 70, ruger 10/22, 1858 Remington, cz75... It's endless... I hope you know what you are getting yourself into. :-)
Old August 7, 2012, 12:10 PM   #7
sigcurious

HK P7, Sig 210, Luger P08 come to mind in addition to the others already listed.
Old August 7, 2012, 12:16 PM   #8
sigcurious

A s&w model 3 and 1851 navy come to mind for revolvers.
Old August 7, 2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Bob Wright

I have always said I'm an accumulator, not a collector. I do shoot my guns, that's what I bought them for.

Most collectors concentrate on a theme, a period or some specific firearm. Many specialize on Colt black powder revovlers, or cartridge conversions. Maybe patent evasions of the Rollin White patent. Winchester lever actions, or military arms.

A friend of mine, who died recently, collected military arms. His collection brought over $50,000.00 to his estate.

But, without some order, it's an accumulation. And I've enjoyed every aspect of my accumulation.

Bob Wright
Old August 7, 2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Corona

I have great admiration for anyone who approaches collecting as opposed to merely accumulating guns. It requires the acquisition of knowledge, the time required to research and turns this into an intellectual pursuit.

I find myself at this stage of my life as more of a dabbler, acquiring those guns that have an interest to me. I may get more serious about it in time, but for now I am satisfied to simply hold them, clean them and, most importantly, shoot them!

A year ago, I started off with a Ruger P95. Then a MK III 22/45. Followed by a CZ82. I traded the CZ 82 for a pristine S&W Model 10-5 with a 4 inch tapered barrel because I wanted to try a revolver in .38. Earlier this year I found an inexpensive High Standard R-100 .22 revolver. Last week, I traded the P95 in on a SR9c. So I find I now have wheel guns and bottom feeders in similar calibres. At least that's an emerging pattern.

I also have a 70 year old Mossberg 44US .22 military trainer left to me by my late father in law along with his old boyhood Stevens 12 gauge double barrel shotgun. These are really the only two I don't believe I'll part with. Although I'd probably add the Model 10-5 to that protected list.

I've enjoyed learning about the guns that I possess as well as others I do not. And I am having a blast shooting them. I am by no means a collector. But I sure as hell am an enthusiast!

Good luck on all your collecting endeavors. Maybe one day I'll find out that I have become a collector too. Until then, I'll look forward to learning from all of you!

Dan
Old August 7, 2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Bob Wright

Quote:
A s&w model 3 and 1851 navy come to mind for revolvers.
A collection could be built around either one of these. The No.3 American in .44 Rimfire, .44 American centerfire, the models of the Russian contract, the Turkish contract, and of course the Schofield, all of which were No.3s.

The Colt 1851 Navy was made in several variations, plus the patent evasion models, and the cartridge conversions.

The point is, your collection can be whatever you want to make it.

Bob Wright
Old August 7, 2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Do you all consider yourselves a "collector" or merely a shooting enthusiast?
I'm probably best described as an "Accumulator". All my guns are shooters, and they all see range time. I have no certain "theme" in my accumulation. Many were purchased with my Collector of Curio and Relic FFL, but not necessarily as collector pieces. They to are all shooters.
If I wanted to spend the big bucks on a collector piece it would have to be a 1st generation Colt SAA. Something that was carried by a real pre 1900 cowboy. Next would be a Luger.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 7, 2012, 12:49 PM   #13
Chris37

Quote:
Most collectors concentrate on a theme, a period or some specific firearm. Many specialize on Colt black powder revovlers, or cartridge conversions. Maybe patent evasions of the Rollin White patent. Winchester lever actions, or military arms.
I haven't really thought about it this way.

Do I want a particular "theme"? I guess not. I know some who own multiple variations of the same gun; different years/barrel lengths/nickel/stainless/blued/etc. I'm not really into having multiple variations of the same basic weapon...I'd rather have multiple weapons that are completely different. I would like to accumulate at least one weapon in each common cartridge:

.22lr
9mm (have it)
.38 Special
.357 Magnum (have it)
.40 S&W
.45 ACP
.44 Magnum

Ideally I'd like iconic in the sense of cultural icons. Everyone knows the .44 Mag as the "Dirty Harry gun", everyone knows what a .38 Snubnosed revolver is, everyone knows what a 1911 .45 is, etc etc.

Right now, my budget is mainly in the hundreds of dollars, not thousands. EVENTUALLY, I'd LOVE to have an 1873 Colt Peacemaker and a German WWII Luger P08. These two would really be necessary, in my eyes, to complete any true collection.

Rifles? I like rifles but for now, I'd rather concentrate on accumulating a nice handgun collection before I delve into the old Winchester rifles, AK47's, and Tommy Guns.
Old August 7, 2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Dragline45

Quote:
Do you all consider yourselves a "collector" or merely a shooting enthusiast?
Most def not a collector, I shoot all my guns and carry about 1/3 of them, plus guns are a poor investment. Every gun I own has a specific purpose. That doesn't mean that I don't have 20+ guns that I am eying, but as cheapshooter said I consider myself more of an accumulator.
Old August 7, 2012, 01:30 PM   #15
JWT

I'd be an accumulator. All of mine get use as regularly as possible. Every so often a new one comes home.

I have no particular niche that I want to fill. Just what happens to catch my eye and is in my budget. Both long guns and handguns.

Can never have too many.
Old August 7, 2012, 02:13 PM   #16
wrm

Iconic in my book:

M1911A1. RR/Ithaca/Colt pre '45
M1 Garand
SMLE
Mosin
Python
Winchester '73, '94 as a start
Auto-5
S&W M29
Single-6
Flat top Blackhawk
Schofield
Martini-Henry
and a Gatling in a pear tree.
Old August 7, 2012, 02:37 PM   #17
JohnMoses

Yer leaving out rimfires. Most iconic would be a Colt woodsman, Smith 22 revolver, or the far more affordable Ruger standard or single six. That said, I don't shoot 22's very often, much preferring centerfires with my home cast bullets. My centerfire pistol vote, add in order
M29,25,or57
peacemaker or clone
Luger or broomhandle, I'd accept a P38 to represent the 9mm

Then we can get to work on long guns.
Old August 7, 2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Iconic in my book:

M1911A1. RR/Ithaca/Colt pre '45
M1 Garand
SMLE
Mosin
Python
Winchester '73, '94 as a start
Auto-5
S&W M29
Single-6
Flat top Blackhawk
Schofield
Martini-Henry
and a Gatling in a pear tree
What, no Colt SAA?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 7, 2012, 02:50 PM   #19
spacecoast

A Colt 1903 or 1908 should be somewhere on that list
Old August 7, 2012, 03:00 PM   #20
aarondhgraham

What you hafta do is define your collection,,,

And by that I mean,,,
Define your own parameters.

If you say you want to collect "iconic" handguns,,,
You really have not defined anything at all,,,
What's iconic to one is boring to another

I have a collection of guns,,,
I defined it as I like to collect matching rimfire/centerfire guns.

Now that means nothing to anyone else,,,
in fact my collection gets chuckled at by many people here,,,
But at least it's defined in my own mind so I know what to look for at gun shows.

My collection isn't any more (or less) valid,,,
Than the man who collects S&W K-frame revolvers,,,
So define what type of guns suit your fancy and start amassing them.

There is no definition of iconic that all will agree on,,,
Decide what floats your boat and then do what makes you happy.

I was raised by antique dealers,,,
We made our living supplying collectors with their drugs.

No matter what was being collected,,,
The impressive collections were the ones with a central theme.

Small sets of targeted items seemed more valuable than larger groups of random stuff.

For instance I have a friend who put together a small set of K-frame revolvers,,,
He has these in one window box and they are beautiful to look at.
  • S&W M&P
  • S&W M&P Victory
  • S&W Model 10 (blue)
  • S&W Model 10 (nickel)
  • S&W Model 12 Airweight
  • S&W Model 64 (stainless)

All the guns are .38 Special,,,
They are all 4" tapered barrel models,,,
He has them mounted in a glass top wood case,,,
I tell you it is a small collection but very enviable to me.

Just some thoughts for you to ponder.

Have fun deciding what you want to collect.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; August 7, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old August 7, 2012, 03:13 PM   #21
modoc58

starting a gun collection...iconic firearms

1911a1
ar15
ak47
nagant1895
ruger blackhawk
ruger mark II
winchester 9422
ruger lc9
smith and wesson 38 special
mauser 98
Old August 7, 2012, 03:41 PM   #22
Sparks1957

I think collections are highly personalized... not sure I'd be asking folks here what I should collect. You'll get a million suggestions, and some of them may overlap with your interests, but a lot won't.

That said, there are some real classic designs... but again, it comes down to personal taste.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:09 PM   #23
Chris37

Quote:
I think collections are highly personalized... not sure I'd be asking folks here what I should collect. You'll get a million suggestions, and some of them may overlap with your interests, but a lot won't.

That said, there are some real classic designs... but again, it comes down to personal taste.
I'm interested in history so when I talk about iconic, I mean guns with a historical connection. Not necessarily General MacArthur's personal 1911 but rather a WWII era Colt 1911.

The Beretta M9 is the current sidearm of our military and I'm proud to say I have the M9 commercial variant. The Smith and Wesson Model 19 was the sidearm of a majority of law officers back in the old days and this help my decision along to buy a 1973 Model 19-3 as my second firearm.

The Smith and Wesson Model 29-2 is the iconic "Dirty Harry" gun and it's a beautiful design. I'd also like a Colt 1911 as I said previously and from there...I'm not sure where to go.

I guess I'm also a fan of certain brands because of the history and collectibility of the brand as a whole. I'm not a fan of Ruger (unless you're talking 10/22) and also don't care much for some of the off-brands like Bersa, Taurus, Hi-point, etc. Primarily, I'd like to stick with the big-name brands like S&W, Colt, Beretta, Glock, Browning, H&K, etc.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:20 PM   #24
aarondhgraham

Glock?

A collectable Glock?

OKay, I don't care where you are from,,,
That's funny!

Aarond

P.S. I just couldn't resist.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 7, 2012, 05:28 PM   #25
Mello2u

Quote:
Chris37

Colt Single Action Army
Colt 1911
P-08 (Luger)
N Frame S&W (possibly .44 mag)
.22 lr Colt Woodsman
S&W Model 36 w/ 1 7/8" barrel (snub nose)
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
AR-15 or CAR-15
Ruger 10/22
Winchester Model 70 pre '64
Winchester Model 94 in 30-30
" Frederic Bastiat