The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 01:22 PM   #1
ConservativeNYMother

Shotgun/Rifle Safety Classes (Westchester County, NY)

Hello all,

I am a very new member and have been floating around for some time (without registering) reading up because this is such a male oriented site I felt a little out of place and did not want to post.

But in light the current climate with our country regarding the 2nd A. especially here in NY (with Cuomo's tirade) coupled with that infuriating map our local newspaper printed pointing the LEGAL gun permit holders (The Journal News) I don't care how uncomfortable I feel about posting or what people may think of me or the questions I ask. I need information for a novice who wants need gun knowledge now.

I am a mother of two very young children with a husband who travels extensively and feel now more than ever I need to protect my family. I am the daughter of an avid hunter so it's not like I have never handled gun before I have. I used to go target shooting with my dad to Blue Mountain. I've shot rifles, shotguns and handguns but my knowledge is very limited and what I learned long ago I more than likely forgot.

I have been thinking about obtaining a shotgun/rifle for some time now probably the last several years but did not feel a need for it since my neighbor directly across the street from me (exercised his 2nd A. right on a frequent basis) and always told me if I ever felt I was in immediate danger for me to call him first than the police since response time would be shorter.. Anyway with The Journal News putting this map online I do not feel safe in my home anymore (even with an alarm and a German shepherd) and I cannot rely solely on my neighbor or the police to be there in time and feel now is the time to start doing and not just thinking about it.

Can anyone recommend a training facility where I can go to learn about:

(1) Basic safety gun class to start with?
(2) Target lessons
(3) Learning about proper Gun/ammo storage
(4) Proper cleaning

Can anyone recommend a place where I can look at some shotguns/rifles (either Westchester, Rockland or Putnam counties would do) so I can actually take a look before I purchase after I have achieved my above goals.

Thank you for taking the time. I hope there is someone out there that can assist me.

Last edited by ConservativeNYMother; January 13, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Caterpillar

There are a number of stores around westchester and the surrounding area, i would go to davis sport shop in sloatsburg, nice guys and a good selection.

If your looking for something for home defense, than your best bet is going to be some sort of shotgun. The key is to practice and train with it. You can go onto the nra website and lookup some courses in your area for you to take.

If you like, send me a private message and we can discuss this further.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
UtopiaTexasG19

Have you discussed this extensively with your husband?
Old January 13, 2013, 04:39 PM   #4
ConservativeNYMother

@Utopia of course but even so I don't need him to make that decision. I am taking the lead on this since he is the one who travels extensively and I am the one who is home alone the majority of the time with our children.

The choice I have to ask myself is do I want to take responsibility for my own safety or rely on others who may only arrive in time to call the ambulance or bring the body bag?" I will NOT take that chance anymore especially now that intruders in my area know I do not have a gun thanks to The Journal News!!
Old January 13, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
ConservativeNYMother

@Caterpillar will do. I am not in the market to get an actual permit although I am seriously considering it. I have found the majority of the NRA certified instructors around here do not give classes on gunshots and how to use them, clean them, what type of ammo is best to use (although from my researching so far the consensus seems to be the same although I could be wrong since I am a novice). The majority of them seem to only do the NRA Basic pistol course this Utah CCFP which is for handguns (which you of course know already). I did find something at Blue Mountain and I think I am going to start there..

I'll PM you after the game or tomorrow. Thank you for your assistance.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:35 PM   #6
UtopiaTexasG19

Thank you for your very informative response.
Old January 13, 2013, 06:07 PM   #7
ConservativeNYMother

It was ONLY a MATTER OF TIME!! Now how long until they use the map to do harm to those who DO NOT carry especially woman with husbands who are never home due to extensive travel....

http://www.nysenate.gov/press-releas...-news-gun-maps

This map that The Journal News published is EXACTLY why many of my friends are now considering getting a firearm in their household!!