The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 30, 2005, 11:47 AM   #1
Wingbone

spinning targets

Has anyone made thier own spinning type targets for a .22? If so what kind of metal did you use? I want it as light as possible but strong enough to last awhile. Also, is it worth making your own or is it easier to buy one? Thanks again and happy holidays to all,
Ken
Old December 30, 2005, 10:15 PM   #2
fatboy02

I made a couple

I have made a couple of swinging targets that cost me nothing but time using scrape steel. I used 1/4" diamond plate steel with the flat side as the target. I did not want the raised diamond plate to cause a wild deflection. It has a 1/4" steel rod triangle frame and the a piece of pipe and over the backbone for the pivot and washers welded on either side to keep it in the same spot side to side. Then a piece of 1/4" steel rod connecting to the 6" round disk that is bolted to the rod so when and if it gets to beat up I can replace it.

I am building a dueling tree this winter.

Be sure to use one a a safe distance and keep the pivot points lubed.

You can purchase a cheap one at wally world for about $25 I think.
Old January 3, 2006, 02:50 PM   #3
OneInTheChamber

I have a cheap one from cheaperthandirt.com and I hardly use it because it sounds like it is giving off splatter in my direction.

I just made a wood frame and hang cans from it. Its basically free, easy to make, and ricochet proof.

Chase
Old January 3, 2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Jayb

Here's what I built.......

The black frame is 1/2" ID tubing bent 90 degrees at each end.....

the hangars are 1/4" x 1/2" cold rolled steel

the discs are 2" OD cold rolled steel cut 1/4" thick and welded onto the hangars......

the hangars are just bent in a u shape to go over the frame, and there's a 10-32 threaded hole on the back side, where I insert a cap screw to retain the hangars on the frame.

The silver legs are inserted into the frame, and then I just shove the legs (pointed ends) into the ground.

When hit with a bullet, the discs rotate back and up, thus any ricochet goes into the ground.

I've shot these with up to a .45 ACP bullet, and it's lasted over three years.

Some of my rifles