The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 3, 2014, 06:24 PM   #1
mordis

How bad is this?

Ok my post and Frank's response in the tactics forum regarding sights has me thinking.

As my post history points out I have a Smith and Wesson m15-3. It has the integral front sight all black.

I am seriously considering sending it to a guns smith to have the front sight converted to hold a Meprolight K series adjustable night sight set. That would mean permanent modification of the front sight.

Now I know, that it is frowned apon doing such things with classic guns. I think mine was made in the 1970's. I however will not be ever be selling it, and it will be passed on to my daughter when I die.

I know it is my gun, and I can do with it as I please.. I just want some advice.

The sights are fantastic in just about every situation accept low light. Even if there is enough light, if the target is dark and has light behind them it will make the front sight disappear.

I love this gun. It was the gun I was taught to shoot with way back when.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old February 3, 2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Microgunner

Someone a hundred years from now will wonder what the hell you were thinking, but, as of now and for the foreseeable future the revolver is not collectable, so, I say go for it if it will enhance your use of the revolver.
Old February 3, 2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Do it!
I did a lot more than that to a mid 70’s N frame 28 and it’s the gun I still shoot the most after over 25 years.
Do what makes you happy. Even if it was a collector piece it’s yours to make that decision and the only opinion that really matters is yours. Also the fact that you plan to pass it down, doing the mod will make it a better gun and a better gun for her.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 3, 2014, 07:40 PM   #4
BigJimP

Its your gun - like you said - and you should do whatever you want...

But I'm of the camp - that says you should probably leave it alone - as is / or not modify it too drastically - or it might change the way you feel about that specific gun.

The model 15's are collectable guns / good classic guns...( maybe not as sought after as some other models ) but just the same ....they are what they are.

Instead of modifying the front sight on this gun drastically ...why not consider changing the rear sight blade to one with a white outline...and maybe have a 1/8" "red ramp" cut into the front sight...( like the 4" model 27's / or the model 29's have ) ....so you keep it more like one of the classics. It will make the sights more visible / and still not radically alter the look of the gun.

Just a thought...
Old February 3, 2014, 07:50 PM   #5
mordis

The meprolight front sight insert replaces the redramp on the front sights that has them. So if I cut the sight for that ramp I might as well get the meprolight. Its not very big, and it would follow the contour of the sights.

Still Im hesitant to modify the sights at all. Its not getting sold, but still its a collectors item.

I did infact use white paint to add a white outline to the rear sight blade. It helped a little bit, but did nothing to improve the front sight.
Old February 3, 2014, 08:09 PM   #6
BigJimP

I agree selling it shouldn't enter into your decision / its a question of how much more will you enjoy shooting the gun if you make the change....or will it not matter that much / or will it eat at you....

My eyes are terrible .../ modern sights are a little easier to see .../ and I've put them on some of my newer guns ( I put a fibre optic front sight on my Freedom Arms single action revolver I had them make for me a couple of years ago ) - but as a new gun, it doesn't bother me. I like the way it looks...

But if I did something like that to an older more traditional revolver....I'm not sure I wouldn't regret it down the road / but as you say, it wouldn't be that much different than cutting it for a red ramp. ( you can buy the white outline inserts from Brownells, etc for the rear sight )...

Not sure I'm being any help ...sorry.../ but if it was mine, I'd just leave it alone.
Old February 3, 2014, 08:25 PM   #7
SaxonPig

It's not a rare gun. It's not a pristine collector piece at this point. If you use it and prefer the front sight you speak of then do it.
Old February 3, 2014, 09:09 PM   #8
sgms

Based on what you have said it is obviously a shooter for you and not part of a S&W collection so go for, it it is your gun, so why worry what anybody thinks about what you do to make it work better for you and hopefully eventually your daughter as well.
Old February 3, 2014, 11:36 PM   #9
feets

It's a $300 gun.

Do what makes you happy.
Old February 4, 2014, 03:55 AM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Remember- in 10 years or less, you will have to replace the sight.
Old February 4, 2014, 07:15 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

^^^ & it's amazing how fast that time goes... 1st off, I've never been too worried about customizing my guns, & have the pleasure of owning some very early carry guns, that were customized by the original owners long ago... however I just redid a bunch of stuff I set up back in the Clinton era... laser sights & what not... some of these were guns that I put in the locker for "just in case" & never fired them much in the 10 years ( I know that's not the situation of the OP ) it's just that it seems like that was yesterday... I've always wanted the glow sights, as some of the battery sights I bought "back then" either corroded or are now hard to get batteries for... so the glow sight seemed like the answer... but going through these guns this last year has me rethinking spending the money... as the OP said, it's only very few conditions that the original sights don't work for... so any recreational shooting & all but extreme condition practicing the original sights should be fine... perhaps you could train on point shooting for the extreme conditions ???
Old February 4, 2014, 08:09 AM   #12
micromontenegro

You could try painting the front sight with a bright-colored nail polish as a midway solution. Maybe that will solve the problem and reversal is easy.
Old February 4, 2014, 08:18 AM   #13
Don P

As stated, nail polish works great, easily removed not being permanent. I have it on my Python, K-22 Combat Masterpiece, J-Frame, and K-Frame Snubie. Your gun your choice.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 4, 2014, 09:52 AM   #14
pete2

I wouldn't do it but it's your gun do what you want. I like black sights.
Old February 4, 2014, 10:41 AM   #15
Snyper

Quote:
Remember- in 10 years or less, you will have to replace the sight.
Mine still glow after nearly 20 years, just not quite as bright, but still usable
Old February 4, 2014, 03:32 PM   #16
Sevens

Even if the gun was exceedingly rare and valuable, I'm always going to be from the camp of folks who believe that it is yours and you should always do what you wish to it. And if it was horribly rare, you'd be doing a great service to anyone else who own a horribly rare one, as you'd be depleting the supply of them... which raises the "value" of theirs.

Yours is niether rare nor valuable. It certainly is a fantastic revolver, that's part of why they made -SO MANY- which are the major reasons yours is niether rare nor valuable!

I personally believe that you should absolutely alter it to your specifications. If it turns out like you hope, it'll still be the same gun you love, but you'll love it EVEN MORE!

Anyone who doesn't agree with what you want to do with YOUR revolver can stick it!
Old February 4, 2014, 08:01 PM   #17
mordis

Thank you for the suggestions guys.

I think that before I send it to the surgeon im going to use the nail polish idea first.. I don't think that will harm the gun and it may give me the contrast I need.

I will however redouble my one handed shooting practice and my flashlight technique practice.

How hard is it to locate a spur less hammer for it? Instead of grinding the hammer, I was going to keep the original hammer but change it out to a spur less one at a gunsmith of course. I want to get as high a grip as possible and it seams the hammer spur is the limiting factor..

I am going to give it a few months of training with the nail polish while making notes of my practice. Then ill revisit the topic with my self and see how I feel.

Any suggestions on nail polish color that will show up brightest in low light??

Id love to get into IDPA eventually with it.

Ill say this, any new revolvers I get ill not hesitate to modify them.