scope: PENTAX Gameseeker 4-12x40 what do you think of it

thinking about getting a
PENTAX Gameseeker 4-12x40 Riflescope, Matte Black w/Penta-Plex Reticle
for a
Winchester wildcat target/varmit (.22)

good combination?

i know little about scopes so any feedback is helpfull

my main use for this gun will be squirrel and other small game hunting

Last edited by blastcm; December 20, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old December 20, 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
sholling

It wouldn't be my first choice. Optically I put them about on par with a Simmons Prohunter but I don't believe that the Gameseeker has any way to adjust out parallax errors. The average centerfire scope is set to be parallax free at 100yds while most rimfire scopes are set for 50yds, about the average range for 22 shooting. Since parallax is a bigger deal at short range than at longer ranges it's something to keep in mind. Especially at higher magnifications - say over 7x. Above that you'll want something with a way to adjust out parallax - a scope with an adjustable objective or side focus.

Bottom line for your stated use I'd look into Weavers 4x32 shotgun scope on clearance at Natchez for $79. It's a much better scope, it's set to be parallax free at 50yds, should last you a a lifetime.

If you need more magnification then I'd look at a Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 Rimfire. Again this is a high quality scope this time designed for rimfires.

To be accurate above 7x at 10-50yds you need to go to a scope with an adjustable objective. But taking the time to dial in the focus/parallax adjustment can cost you the shot. Weaver's RV9 3-9x32 is an excellent scope but a tad pricey. Mueller's 4.5-14x40APV is a step down in both optical and mechanical quality from the Weaver but it has more magnification and it's still a decent scope for the money. The APV is very popular with beginning rimfire target shooters.

Tags
pentax , scope , wildcat