The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 22, 2009, 08:48 AM   #26
joepa150

Quote:
1) Once I put the mag in is it ready to fire or do I need to rack or chamber it?

Read the manual, or take a class.

2) Say I have one in the chamber but decide not to shoot. Do I take mag out and then pull slide back to eject the chambered bullet?

Read the manual or take a class

3) If it is brand new do I need to clean it before using?

Being that it is a Glock: No. They fire right out of the box with no maintenance required. Just check the barrel for any obstructions before shooting.

4) How many rounds does it take to break in if any?

Since it is a Glock: None.

5) Is the Glock compatible with many brands/types of rounds such as ones from Walmart?

Good question, not one of the newbie questions that are being talked about in previous responses.

Just avoid non-jacketed bullets.

6) Can I dry fire?

Yes. To your heart's content.

7) When releasing the slide using the slide release is it better to also have a hand on the slide to slowly let it down?

No, this slows down the action and it has less energy to strip off the round off the magazine and cause it to jam (FTF).
Funny thing happened this morning. I read the manual and it stated to clean the gun before first use. So Banditsrt8 you may need to "Read the manual, or take a class." Not just to just check the barrel for any obstructions.

Just joking but I probably will take a class. I wonder if it is better to take a 4 hour class for $100 or get 2 hours of private lessons for $50 an hour. Since it is private I could probably even get by with 1 hour.
Old October 22, 2009, 09:59 AM   #27
goose13

Quote:
Just joking but I probably will take a class. I wonder if it is better to take a 4 hour class for $100 or get 2 hours of private lessons for $50 an hour. Since it is private I could probably even get by with 1 hour.

I'd take the 2 hour private instruction, you'll learn a lot more and be able to get any personal questions or concerns answered, private classes are more personalized
Old October 22, 2009, 10:10 AM   #28
Madcap_Magician

RTFM.

On ammo, any jacketed ammunition in the caliber of your gun (9mm (AKA 9 x 19mm, 9mm parabellum, 9mm Luger) are acceptable. Glock says not to use lead bullets because of the polygonal rifling (Note, this means not to use plain lead bullets. Jacketed bullets with lead cores are fine).

Don't use any ammunition in your gun that doesn't match it. When in doubt, match ammo in three places: the ammo type on the box of ammo, on the base of the bullet, and on the slide of your gun should all match.
Old October 22, 2009, 05:01 PM   #29
BanditSRT8

lol, glad you read it. It answered a lot of your questions.

Best of luck with the Glock. They are about the easiest to use, maintain and shoot... plus they should be expected to always go bang when you pull the trigger. You made an excellent choice.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old October 23, 2009, 01:50 AM   #30
bakon

Nobody covered this but it is important.

Dont try to catch to round that is ejected when unloading the Glock. It can be struck on the primer and go through your hand when coming out. Let it fall on a table or even the floor.

I know some of you have done it thousands of times, but our armorer just came back from the Glock updates and it was recommended as people have been injured in the catching hand.

We all looked it over at roll call and thought "yeah it does look like this could happen pretty easy". We have been catching them for 15years, now we don't.
Old October 23, 2009, 02:10 AM   #31
12GaugeLosAngeles

Learning to operate a gun on the net? Is the gun stolen? I'm very blunt about it cause i doubt when you bought it an instructional didn't come form the clerk or owner who sold it, which i hope it was legally bought. Read the manual that came with it, ad go to a gun store... if it's your gun.
Old October 23, 2009, 07:30 AM   #32
joepa150

Quote:
Learning to operate a gun on the net? Is the gun stolen? I'm very blunt about it cause i doubt when you bought it an instructional didn't come form the clerk or owner who sold it, which i hope it was legally bought. Read the manual that came with it, ad go to a gun store... if it's your gun.
Of coarse it is legal and came with a manual. I never been to a gun shop that the clerk instructed you on how to operate your gun. That would be awesome and help out a lot of people. I am sure if at that time I had a list of questions on how to operate it he would have answered it.

Also I do realize that the net is not the best place to learn to operate a gun. You have to research and make educated decisions on what is true and not true. I am positive that just this forum has educated and helped a lot of members.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:19 AM   #33
Alleykat

I'd have to opine that there is probably a lot more good information about firearms and just about any other subject available on the internet than from just about any other source. Certainly, there's more to be learned on a forum like this than from a guy behind the counter at a gun shop. If the guy behind the counter at the gun shop were as smart as you, he'd be on your side of the counter!
Old October 27, 2009, 01:05 PM   #34
notorious_ar15

Joepa150,

1) Once I put the mag in is it ready to fire or do I need to rack or chamber it?

If there is no round in the chamber, then yes, the action must be cycled to chamber a round. You are manually cycling the slide the first time - the gun does it for you after this until empty.

2) Say I have one in the chamber but decide not to shoot. Do I take mag out and then pull slide back to eject the chambered bullet?

Yes. Be careful not to let your support hand cross in front of the muzzle. Also, as others have pointed out, most firearms are capable of firing when a round is chambered, whether there is a magazine or not.

** I think you would also get a lot of practical knowledge by using plastic or aluminum snap-caps that can be bought online at midwayusa or brownells, or at a sporting goods store. Be sure to put away any live ammunition when cleaning or using snap caps, but of course always treat the gun the same as if it's loaded.

3) If it is brand new do I need to clean it before using?

I personally clean & check all my firearms before shooting, even when new - especially important is running a dry patch or two through the barrel, before you do any live firing to remove any obstructions or oil from the bore.

4) How many rounds does it take to break in if any?

With a Glock, I would say none really, but 200-300 rounds with your favorite ammo would be a good way to seek out any problems that your particular gun (or magazines) may have. Make sure the gun is properly lubed.+

5) Is the Glock compatible with many brands/types of rounds such as ones from Walmart?

Yes. The box & the headstamp on the casings should be printed with 9mm Parabellum or 9mm Luger. Obviously, ammunition compatibility should be covered in the manual.

6) Can I dry fire?

Yes. (Covered in the manual).

7) When releasing the slide using the slide release is it better to also have a hand on the slide to slowly let it down?

If you are loading the firearm, then do not ride the slide - let the action snap shut. You need to make sure the slide is fully locked into battery.

If the gun is NOT loaded (as if you were inspecting it at the counter before buying it), only then would you gently ride the slide forward to save wear on the gun. This is different from when the action has to overcome resistance while chambering a round.

Like many members have posted, most of these things are covered in the factory manual. One can probably be had for free from the manufacturer if it is not with the firearm.

I am glad you were looking for answers, and if you take a basic firearms course, I hope it clears things up for you.

I have a friend that was new to pistols awhile back. He had shot rifles & shotguns before. He one of the safest guys I have ever been around at the range, and also turned out to be a very accurate shooter.
Like you, he wasn't sure of the exact workings of a semi-auto pistol. He is not a 'gun guy', but once I have shown him how something works, he gets it right away. He is learning more all the time, and I am sure happy that I now have another pro-gun friend!

Happy shooting!