The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 29, 2008, 09:41 AM   #1
G&G

1st time loading 200gr FP 45acp

I went to get more 230gr RN bullets to reload last night. It was sold out. With gas prices being what they are and not wanting to come back later. I bought 1000 rounds of 200gr FP.

I'm loading for my 1911. My question is: Have you loaded this round before and what is a good OAL for this round?
Old February 29, 2008, 10:29 AM   #2
rwilson452

if you still have a few of the round nose left place them side by side to see if the ogive looks the same except for the flat point. If they are I would suggest you lower your OAL by the difference in bullet length. the object is to have the same part of the ogive hit the ramp at the same distance. You may still need to tweak on it a bit. remember to record what you wind up with. You may find you like the 200 gr FP better than the 230 gr RN.
Old February 29, 2008, 05:19 PM   #3
somerled

Somewhere from 1.25 to 1.265 inches might be a good starting point. Some data shows 1.275 inch OAL for the 200 grain FP, which is the maximum for the .45 ACP. I have always had to seat the FP bullets a bit deeper to get them to feed. Dropping an unprimed, uncharged cartridge into the chamber of a removed barrel while reducing the OAL helps--the case head should be slightly past the barrel hood.
Old March 1, 2008, 06:32 AM   #4
ShootingNut

G&G

For our 200 gr RNFP .45 ACP we go with an OAL of 1.210", over 8.0 gr of Accurate 5.
This works well for us, feeds a new (tighter tolerances) S&W and an older model Colt just fine.
This OAL was recommended by our bullet maker, who has vast experience in shooting including competition.
SN