The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which is the best choice?
Beretta Nano 8 17.39%
Sig P290 14 30.43%
They both suck. Buy a Shield. 24 52.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 25, 2012, 12:33 PM   #26
willmc33

My M&P Shield 9mm shoots and handles great, surprisingly little felt recoil. Grip is abit long to me but a heck of alot slimmer then a G26 or M&P9 C.
Old May 25, 2012, 03:41 PM   #27
BoneDigger

Well, I found a used Shield today with less than a dozen rounds through it, so I bought it. Got it for $400 even and no tax, so not too bad. I'll give it a try. I guess I can always sell it if I don't like it.

Todd

Sent via Todd's IPhone using Tapatalk.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:41 AM   #28
AdamSean

IMO the Shield is in a slightly larger class. Great gun, but not small enough for my pocket. I went with the Nano. In the next size up, I carry my Glock 27.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:41 AM   #29
willmc33

The reason I passed on the Nano is to me a big deal and if I am wrong someone please correct me and tell me a way I am not seeing. The reason I passed is the same reason it is so sleek. No external controls. If I am in a situation where it is SHTF and I need to protect myself or my family and I am wounded and have been shot or injured and I can only use 1 of my arms. I can change mags one handed but for me to get that pistol back functional as it is designed I need the use of both of my hands to grip that pistol, grab that slide, and release that slide for the pistol to return to full battery. if I am in a SHTF situation I do not want to have that possibility even enter my thought process. Just the way I look at it...
Old May 27, 2012, 11:42 PM   #30
baccusboy

Found some Nano's here, with free shipping, if anyone's interested. I heard they can be hard to find.
Old May 28, 2012, 09:28 AM   #31
BGutzman

The Shield is a lot bigger than the P290.

The Shield is 4&1/2 inches in height vs 3.9 (P290)
The Shield is longer with a overall length of 6.1 vs 5.5 (P290)
The width of the shield is .95 inches vs .9 (p290)

The Shield is small but definitely not nearly as small so not really a valid comparison.

The Nano is 4.17 in height
Overall length of 5.63
and width .90

It and the P290 seem to be a lot more equals...
Old May 30, 2012, 03:00 PM   #32
pat701

Buy the Sig and be done with it if it fits your hand right.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:59 PM   #33
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMagUdspEllr View Post
P290- The gun weighs 20 oz and has a heavy trigger pull. So I would say that your accuracy would be diminished. It does have night sights, though!

Nano- The gun weighs 18 oz and has a heavy trigger pull. It doesn't have night sights on it either. Accuracy is going to be greatly diminished due to the lack of night sights and heavy trigger pull.

Shield- The gun weighs 19 oz and has a reasonable trigger pull (6.5 lbs advertised) and there are aftermarket night sights for it. So, you would be most likely to hit what you're aiming at with this.
How does accuracy diminish from lack of night sites? IMO, small guns like these are point shooters and sites are a moot point, especially night sites.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:49 PM   #34
hblac

The 290 was too heavy and too big for pocket carry. It shot well but overall it doesn't match the Kahr PM9 in accuracy or ease of carry. Of course its about half the cost so maybe should compare to CM9. Haven't tried the Nano but have fondled the Shield and its too large for pocket carry (same size as Kahr CW9 which already have).
Old October 30, 2012, 05:04 PM   #35
Czsig

P290 info

I like my P290. I'm small framed guy, 155 lbs, and it's my regular carry. Accurate and points naturally for me.
I did, however, purchase a second generation (but not the restrike capable P290RS). The front sight went dark, so on my last trip out of country ( I work in Mexico) I sent it to SIG, and decided to have it made restrike capable. A week later, the 290 came back: new sights all round and new restrike trigger system at NO charge. Not even shipping. Good company, good weapon.
Old October 31, 2012, 12:38 AM   #36
TennJed

Really like my p290
Old October 31, 2012, 12:45 AM   #37
LockedBreech

The Shield is a well-made gun, but I'm not hugely in favor of an awkward-to-actuate safety on a carry gun. I really wish they'd make a no-safety version.

The Nano gets a bad rap, I think it's a better gun than it has a rep for being.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:12 AM   #38
ares338

P290 vs Nano?

It amazes me that a forum topic has the title....P290 vs. Nano...and some bring up The Shield or some other brand. Also, some people just have to argue with someone, anyone. It's opinion folks. That said....I chose the P290 over the Nano because of the way it felt in my hand, the size, quality of workmanship and the opinion of someone I respect. I pocket carry it easily and find it to be very accurate for a small pistol. I'm sure the Nano would have been fine too.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:46 AM   #39
Mr Budha

+1 for the PPS since I'm leaning towards it myself
Old October 31, 2012, 12:50 PM   #40
Theohazard

Quote:
ares338 posted:
It amazes me that a forum topic has the title....P290 vs. Nano...and some bring up The Shield or some other brand.
Uh, the OP mentioned the Shield first. I'm guessing you missed his poll.
Old November 1, 2012, 08:41 AM   #41
Czsig

Having been to the outdoor drill range with the new restrike trigger on the P290, I am re- impressed. Excellent DA trigger, and as a hideout/carry I just can't find a reason to bitch. I just have to wonder how many handgunners who have fired the P290 can really say it "sucked". (and is that a reasonable term anyway )
Old November 1, 2012, 10:14 AM   #42

I'd go with the P290- nice guns. If not the P290, then the Walther PPS.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:51 AM   #43
chaim

I was recently buying a gun in this niche and voted with my wallet.

The store didn't have a Shield, but they had several other guns that I could look at side by side, and I considered the Ruger LC9, the Kel Tec PF-9, the SIG P290, the Beretta Nano, and the Kahr CM9.

I bought the SIG P290, and a week later I came back and also bought the Kel Tec. I went to the store the first day thinking I would be buying the Kahr BTW.

I love that SIG. Reasonably accurate, considering the size it is comfortable to shoot, 100% reliable so far (only had it a few weeks, but based on my prior SIG experience I expect it to stay reliable), and while a little heavy for pocket carry (which helps the recoil control), it conceals quite nicely. I did return and buy the lighter Kel Tec (it weighs less fully loaded than any of the guns on your list weigh empty) as an inexpensive toy which might be slightly more suitable for pocket carry on occasion.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:07 AM   #44
weldonjr2001

I've got the Nano AND P290RS. Both have, for me, many good points, and few bad ones. I'll keep and carry them both.

I think the Nano trigger is better. I like the night sights on the P290RS, and will add them to the Nano as soon as I can get my hands on them.

In my Docker style pants, the P290 comes out of the pocket easier than the Nano, and prints less. But both work fine in my pocket.

I've got closing in on 400 rounds through the Nano, and have not had a malfunction of any type. This is firing strong-hand, weak-hand, and two-handed.

I've only got 114 rounds through the P290RS. Had on failure to feed on round 24 with a Corbon 115 grain +P cartridge. Everything else was good.

Both are built like little tanks.

I had a Kahr PM9, and while it was flawless, and the trigger great, I like a little more weight when shooting hot loads, and the Nano and P290RS provide that.

Incidentally, for those that have trouble seating the 8-round P290 mag, push on the base plate, not the spacer, and it'll click in place very easily. When you push on the spacer, you're not getting full movement of the magazine itself. Try it, you'll be amazed.

I can't take credit for this find, I read it in a post on the SigForum after having my P290RS for just a day.

And I agree with those who consider the Shield in the next category up in size. That big, and I'd be carrying it other than pocket style, and would just as soon carry something with more capacity, like my G27, or PX4SC, or M&PC.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:51 AM   #45
predecessor

Quote:
The reason I passed on the Nano is to me a big deal and if I am wrong someone please correct me and tell me a way I am not seeing.
It's never a bad plan to be prepared for as many contingencies as possible. But you must always balance the tactical with the practical.

Whether a pistol has a slide release or not is so far down on my list of priorities in a pistol that it has absolutely no bearing (for me) as to whether or not I purchase a pistol that does or does not have one.

Everyone is different of course, but I do not use the slide stop in any way other than for convenience in releasing the slide with an empty magazine.

As for the scenario that you pose, first, I typically do not carry an extra magazine in the first place when carrying a pocket or sub-compact pistol. Round count is not my concern with this gun. If I felt the need for an extra magazine I would go up in size slightly to a compact or mid-size pistol that had more than double the capacity of two 6 round mags.

Second, I have no trouble whatsoever releasing an open slide with one hand on a loaded magazine without the use of a slide release. Any hard edge with a 2" clearance will do. Nothing around that fits the bill? Your shoe will work fine! Barefoot on the beach? You got me there. Better have two mags and a pistol with a slide release
Old November 4, 2012, 10:23 AM   #46
rodfac

Gotta disagree with you Shadi on your assessment of night sights' benefits. In a darkened bedroom, (ours is right at 21'), they keep us on the target. I've got some experience with the P290, carry one as my rotation gun when the S&W M36 J-frame is off my hip, and find that I really like the night sights, and wish the Smith had them!

On the bedside table, those little green dot's make finding the gun easier, and tests on my home range here on the farm, in the dark, show that they're effective at all realistic ranges. Not so with my beloved Smith...beyond 8-10' it might scare the BG's or blind 'em with the muzzle flash, but hits on target will be scarce.

As to the P290: it's a good gun, with a long trigger pull but easy to adapt to, accuracy with a two handed Weaver Stance is just over an inch at 10 yds (with either the 6 or 8 rnd. mag.), and great reliability. I've had one FTF (light primer strike) in over 500 rounds now. A thorough cleaning of the bolt, firing pin and firing pin race has hopefully cured the light strike issue. The front night sight went dark after a month, but Sig cheerfully replaced that in less than a week's time. All in all, I like the gun, and trust it for carry purposes.

I can't empathize with those who find the P290's slide too thick... but then I usually carry a J-frame revolver for the most part...and finally, at 20 oz., the Sig P290 is just too heavy for my pocket pocket carry, but does make it easier to control for follow up shots. Instead, I use a waist belt holster of my own design in the old "FBI" 4 o'clock position.

Best Regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:17 PM   #47
LockedBreech

A consideration: Bud's Gun Shop has the Nano for $379 right now. Considering Beretta's $50 rebate, that's $329, or about $350-360 with FFL transfer fee. That's a steal for Beretta quality.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:27 PM   #48
9mmsnoopy

I have a P290, i like it, havent shot it much yet 200 rounds or so,but its been faultless thus far. Its a little heavier than i think it needs to be, but i can still carry it in a pocket. Have no experiance with the Nano other than holding one, i have seen them for as low as $359 at the gun shows, i might pick one up in the future.
Bushmaster AR15
Old November 9, 2012, 05:44 PM   #49
Shadi Khalil

Rod,

You make good points I didn't consider.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:51 AM   #50
khegglie

Went with the .40 Shield(I pocket carry it), Love the Sig but too much $$$$$. I got turned away from the Nano which I originally wanted because of the early bad rap with FTE ect.