The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 3, 2001, 04:58 AM   #1
sinecure

300 Savage to .308Win conversion?

I have a Savage 99 in 300 Sav. It's one of my favorite deer rifles, light, balanced well for carrying, ample power and magazine capacity.

300 Savage ammo is getting hard to find these days, mostly a special-order item in local stores.

I was thinking of a conversion to .308 Win, but I'm unsure of all this would entail. Magazine should remain the same, I believe the bore size is the same, I don't think the boltface would need any work, rechambering shouldn't be a big deal.

Am I overlooking anything that I'm gonna smack my forehead with the heel of my hand over?

Thanks,
Doug
Old September 3, 2001, 05:27 AM   #2
xraymongral

Curiosity question...Doesn't any of your Walmarts, K Marts etc carry 300 Sav? It seems that every "mart" department store around here carries it for $15.00/box.
Old September 3, 2001, 08:38 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Unless the rifle is a post circa 1960-65 rifle, it is NOT a good idea.

Savaged beefed up the action of their 99 starting around 1955 to accommodate the new line up of Winchester rounds, including the .308, .243, .358, and later the .284, but didn't get to all of the actions until sometime in the early 1960s.

I think the change-over started around serial number 500,000.

Guns made prior to that may not be able to handle the added pressure with a comfortable safety margin.

I have a 1936-vintage EG that someone "converted" to .308, but the "gunsmith" never remarked the caliber.

I was firing .300 Savage brass through it, wondering why my case life SUCKED.

Essentially, though, I'd stick with this gun's original chambering. The .300 Savage is a great little cartridge that is still common available.

I don't know where you live, but the .300 Sav. has always been a lot more popular in the Northeast than in other areas of the country. This could have something to do with your troubles finding ammo.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 3, 2001, 09:19 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Sinecure, Mike's concerns are valid. But if yours is one of the later models it should be a straghtforward rechambering. George
Old September 5, 2001, 09:29 PM   #5
sinecure

Thanks, guys for the help and advice. I think I'll leave it alone, and find some 300Sav ammo somewhere. I really don't shoot it all that much, and I agree with the correspondent who emailed me off-list to comment that his Mod.99 stock had way too much drop. I agree, this well-made rifle kills on one end...maims on the other. A joy to carry, a terror to shoot.

Reloading might be an option if I ordered small-base dies. Years ago I borrowed an ancient set of CH 300Sav dies and whipped up a box of 150gr loads. Another valuable lesson learned: Check a reloaded cartridge in the rifle you are going to shoot them in BEFORE you go ahead and dump powder and seat bullets! They wouldn't fully chamber-- needed a small-base sizer. A half-hour with the "reloader's eraser" [kinetic bullet puller] and I was back to primed-but-not-properly-sized cases.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had a bout with SirCam32 internet worm which kept me offline for a while.

Regards and thanks to all,
Doug
Old September 6, 2001, 11:17 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

My 99 luckily doesn't require small-base dies, but that's not an uncommon problem with lever actions in general.

The short neck and sharp neck angle can also pose problems with reloading for the .300 Savage.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.