The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 10:16 PM   #76
BurgerBoy

Keep your Glock 19.
Self Defense Stories
Old February 8, 2013, 04:30 PM   #77
cocojo

"NOT" on your best day of the week.
Old February 8, 2013, 05:49 PM   #78
whip1

Why trade? Keep the Glock, and save your money to buy the new gun.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:26 PM   #79
jad0110

Just from reading your posts, I promise you will regret selling or trading either of you Glocks. Saving up is your best bet.

Going back to some of your earlier posts, I agree that in 6 to 1 odds against determined attackers, I'd probably be screwed as well. Even if armed with my preferred HD gun, my 16" AR-15. Someone I knew said the extra rounds won't save you, but it will allow you to maybe take more of them with you . Your only chance in that scenario is to very quickly determine who the leader of the pack is, plug him and hope the rest (or most of them) back down and flee.

As for reliability, the irony is the Glock has survived all sorts of totally ludicrous torture tests. Then again, I had a 75% failure rate with a G19 (or maybe it was a G23, I don't recall now) and about a 50% failure rate with an XD9 simply by intentionally holding it with a less than perfect grip and a somewhat limp forearm and wrist to simulate injury. OTH, the reliability of my revolvers and incidentally my 1911 aren't impacted by the same treatment.

Both platforms can and do break, and I do make it a habit to change my recoil spring and my mag springs from time-to-time in my 1911. Also, many revolver problems occur because of operator error (binding due to dumping the empties with the muzzle pointing down thereby getting crud under the extractor star, as an example) and a lot of the problems come on gradually (timing being a good example) that can be detected long before it becomes a big problem. Unless you plan to get into a fire fight that lasts a couple hundred rounds .

I carry both platforms BTW, but I've always been a little more comfortable with my trusty wheelguns. But that's just me, and other may feel differently.

The Ruger "Six" series .38 and .357 revolvers are truly excellent. The balance and feel almost as nice as the S&W K Frames, but they have the approximate durability of the larger S&W L Frame. Granted, the triggers typically aren't as nice, but that can be remedied.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll save up for a sweet wheel gun soon and you'll have the best of all worlds: the 2 Glocks that you love and a cool revolver.

Just as a side note, the Colt DS is NOT delicate, per se. They are actually remarkably reliable and durable, as long as they are perfectly in tune. If they DO develop a problem (such as end shake or timing issues), they need to be repaired ASAP or more damage will result. Unlike a S&W or Ruger that can tolerate some slop, many Colts don't. Finding a good Colt gunsmith locally can be a challenge as well.

Last edited by jad0110; February 10, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:47 PM   #80
allenomics

I'd get rid of the G26. It's just too hard to handle well or comfortably. Keep the G19.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:58 AM   #81
MLeake

allenomics, you are joking, right?

If not, you will be the first person I have ever heard claim that the G26 was hard to handle.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:15 PM   #82
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
If not, you will be the first person I have ever heard claim that the G26 was hard to handle.
I agree with Leake. If you can't handle a G26 in 9mm (which my girlfriend loves) than I don't know what to tell you.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:05 PM   #83
amprecon

The Glock 19 is my favorite 9mm handgun period. I traded off two of them for a G23 once.
Today, I don't own the G23 and again have two G19's, I love those little guns, I shoot them better than the G17's, or the G23's.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old February 14, 2013, 09:06 PM   #84
TxFlyFish

keep the g19 its gonna be worth more. none of the other trades are expensive, something you could easily find later even in good condition, yes even the Colt. A police glock prob just have surface wear but inside is shot little. Also if any sort of ban happens its gonna be the glock and not the DS

KEEP THE 19! NOT ALL COLTS ARE WORTH GETTING. If you don't believe me, search gunbroker for Glock 19...its insane how much they're fetching

Last edited by TxFlyFish; February 14, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:55 PM   #85
Deaf Smith

If you pack the Glock for SD, keep it unless you must wear cloths you can't conceal the Glock under. Otherwise the 642 makes sense.

The Colt is OK if you are a collector and that is all you need it for.

Forget the Charter Arms, PERIOD.

Deaf
Old February 17, 2013, 02:21 AM   #86
Josh17

Thanks for reading my long post jad0110 and replying And thank you to everyone else who has replied..

I WILL KEEP THE GLOCK! I love Glocks so much, that's why I really really had a hard time thinking about trading them. I defiantly will not trade the Glock after reading posts on here. I am going to save up for a revolver !

The only reason I wanted a revolver was so that I could keep the Revolver as my truck gun INSTEAD of my Glock. I figured a wheelgun has a little better reliability as a truck gun that won't be maintened/cleaned that often. Since for example, let's say ammo from sitting in the car for years. Well in a semi-auto, ammo is much more an issue. With a Revolver, I've heard it can still fire the round even if the round is at 50%. Normally ammo won't go bad in a revolver, but possibly can in a semi-auto. Secondly, if a Revolver sat in a car for 2 years without ever being shot, cleaned, or lubed, I'd assume the revolver would be more likely to "go bang every-time" vs a semi-auto in the same circumstances due to the fact a revolver doesn't rely on lube/cleaning/ammo as much as semi-autos due, and also the revolver doesn't rely on a magazine like a semi auto does. So since the revolver in storage doesn't rely on lube/cleaning, ammo, or a magazine, I figure that is 3 advantages right off the bat for a revolver being a truck gun instead of semi. But I could be wrong.

Either way I'm keeping the Glock. Now that I've decided to keep the Glock and buy a revolver, now I can't decide which should be my "dedicated truck gun" - the Glock or the Revolver.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:43 AM   #87
MLeake

I still think leaving any gun in a truck for two years, untouched, and expecting it to work is - apologies for bluntness but this message just does not seem to get through - moronic.

There is a reason why the military has a preventive maintenance schedule; same for police armorers; same, for that matter, for airplane, auto, and motorcycle manufacturers.

You wouldn't leave your boat sitting at the pier for two years, and expect to go motoring out uneventfully one day.

Your truck gun concept is not a good idea by any stretch of the imagination.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:06 AM   #88
jad0110

Though I don't think leaving a gun in a vehicle as a habit is necessarily a good idea, I believe any weapon in good working order would work fine, revolver, Glock or anything else if maintained. Problem is cars get broken into by baddies specifically because they are looking for goodies, firearms in particular. Years ago, and I don't recall where, I saw something about pickups get broken into more often in my area because lowlifes figured they have a better chance of finding a gun in an old Dodge truck than a new Volvo or Prius.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:33 PM   #89
Josh17

As for zero maintenance, I kinda of exaggerated there. About every 4-6 months, I put a thin layer of CLP on the "5 points" on the Glock.

Shouldn't doing that be enough to keep it in good shape? If I bring it to the range (about 3 times per year, unless we finally get one in town), then I of course clean it more often.

But if it's just sitting there, unused, I apply some CLP to the "5 points" on a Glock about every 4-6 months. Isn't that enough to keep it in good working order?
Old February 19, 2013, 02:27 PM   #90
Archie

Okay, keep the Glock.

I really don't care for Glocks all that much, but I regret every firearm I ever sold or traded. You're better off keeping what you have.

Your idea for a revolver is sound, however. Revolvers do things semi-automatics don't do as well.

The best revolver for a full time, do anything handgun is a Smith & Wesson "K" frame. However, due to S&W's current lackluster management, about the only game in town is an "L" frame. An "L" frame in .357 Magnum will perform a wide range of functions, from plinking to hunting.

However, all prices seem to be running wild, so good luck.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old February 20, 2013, 10:10 PM   #91
Bill56

I'm glad to hear you kept your G19, and I don't care for Glock ergonomics much. They make a heck of a SD platform. Of the revolvers you were considering, I wouldn't have traded for any of them. S&W K and N frames are where it's at for me.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:25 AM   #92
jimbob86

They are not making any more Dick Specials ....... Glocks are as common as dirt, and just as pretty. dirt can be a necessity, true, but you can always come up with some ...... the same can not be said of a Colt revolver.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:31 AM   #93
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
They are not making any more Dick Specials ....... Glocks are as common as dirt, and just as pretty. dirt can be a necessity, true, but you can always come up with some ...... the same can not be said of a Colt revolver.
Alright, from a collectors standpoint that makes sense.

He needs something modern for his up to date self defense situation.

If I only had 1 gun, and for the sake of the conversation. I only carry this Glock and it's my nightstand gun. I wouldn't trade it for anything that I cannot do the same thing I can do with my Glock.

Now I used Glock as an example to match the OP.