The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Buckshot or slug for HD?
buckshot 96 96.97%
slug 3 3.03%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 19, 2009, 07:07 AM   #26
Dingoboyx

Maybe

The first couple full of rock salt, then a couple of buckshot then a slug for good measure..... depending if the encounter needs to escalate to lethal. If it goes to lethal right away, pump out the first two (quickly)
Old April 19, 2009, 09:45 AM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

Buckshot, specifically No. 4 buckshot.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 19, 2009, 09:48 AM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The first couple full of rock salt, then a couple of buckshot then a slug for good measure..... depending if the encounter needs to escalate to lethal."

The second a weapon comes out the encounter is automatically of the lethal variety.

Rock salt shells make sense ONLY if you want to A) make believe that shooting someone with a shell so loaded constitutes non-lethal force, B) want to end up in jail, and C) want to give away everything you own when the person you shot sues you.

Old April 19, 2009, 09:52 AM   #29
Dingoboyx

Mike, the rock salt thing......

That was actually a quite pathetic mundane attempt at humour
Old April 19, 2009, 09:56 AM   #30
lowbud

I have Centurian Multi-Defense loaded in my Mossberg 500A. I sure wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mossberg.jpg (116.5 KB, 69 views)
Old April 19, 2009, 10:00 AM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

I know it was, Dingo, but I just wanted to make sure everyone else knew that it's not a good idea at all.

Old April 20, 2009, 06:07 AM   #32
m11/nine

Buck shot will go through the wall and into anyone in the other rooms so if overpenitration is a concern, and it should be if you live with anyone else in your house then go with a smaller shot. #4 is pleanty lethal and will not overpenitrate. Personally i dont like to go lighter then #4 but even #8 will take a guys head off under 10yards.

It is also easier on the recoil which is good if your wife of kids have to use the gun. it wont blow them on their behind like 00 will.
Old April 20, 2009, 08:02 AM   #33
GetYerShells

+1 To using buckshot. Your chance of overpenetration is much greater with slugs.
Old April 20, 2009, 05:49 PM   #34
PoorSoulInJersey

If you are defending against an invading T-800 and Skynet, go for the slug. For organic predators, stick with buckshot.
Old April 20, 2009, 05:55 PM   #35
Katrina Guy

I still don't quite get the choice of a big bore rifle for home defense,

which is basically what a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs is, heck if that's your reasoning, why not opt for a 45/70 and call it a day.
Old April 22, 2009, 09:42 AM   #36
Chuckusaret

I have always heard this saying when there was talk about shot preference; Birdshot is for the birds, buckshot is for the bucks and slugs are for the thugs. I have my 12 ga loaded with BB followed by seven (7) rifled slugs.
Old April 22, 2009, 09:51 AM   #37
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Did any of you guys see the episode of The Best Defense wherein they tested wall penetration of various rounds?

I sticking with #7 birdshot, thank you very much. I can not foresee any human being withstanding a shot of ANYTHING from a shotgun at close (inside the home) range, never mind the 4 shells behind that first one.
Old April 22, 2009, 10:01 AM   #38
Mike Irwin
Staff

Regarding wall penetration, even small buckshot will sail through drywall very handily.

I'm fortunate, though, that the dividing walls between my townhome and my neighbors are core filled cement block, so I don't have to worry about over penetration. And, the exterior shell is brick clad.

I'm also single, so I don't need to worry about interior overpenetration. As long as I know where my dog is, I have clear fire lanes for whatever load I choose to use, but I still choose No. 4 buckshot as my primary load out with a 5 rounds of S&B 00 buck in a buttstock carrier.

Old April 22, 2009, 10:09 AM   #39
Lee Lapin

peet,

Give http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/...n/herdson.html a read...

lpl
Old April 26, 2009, 11:27 AM   #40
James R. Burke

I would go with fine shot. Up close it is just like a slug, with a little distance you dont need to be super acccurate, and it wont penatrate a bunch of walls where people would be. When something happens fast people even well trained dont do very good at aiming and hitting. Then throw low light into it, and you have another problem. I dont think everyone would aggree with this just my thoughts on it.
Old April 28, 2009, 08:08 PM   #41
keeijnoo

What distanse do we have in our home... 10-20 yard maximum? Or if you meet the intruder in the door? 2-3 yard? I would´t like to be the one who stands in the other end of your barrel, even if you use US:nr 9!
Old April 28, 2009, 08:28 PM   #42
rantingredneck

Federal Flite Control 9 pellet 00 buckshot in the tube. Either 5, 6, or 7 rounds depending on which shotgun I happen to pick up.

Brenneke KO's in the sidesaddle.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 29, 2009, 04:24 PM   #43
Evyl Robot

Slugs = Massive overpenetration!!!

I know from experience that a 12-gauge slug will go right through cinder blocks and shatter them on the way. Brick external walls aren't going to stop slugs.

--Michael
Old April 29, 2009, 04:54 PM   #44
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While excessive pattern diameter is no substitute for a well placed shot... A load of buck shot that increases spread by only 2 inches once in a torso is more likely to hit a needed vital organ than a pass thru slug that misses them all. Heck even an increase of 1 inch is great once in the torso. Gotta cover all your bases. I only intend to be accurate enuff for a COM hit. I didn't say I could pick the organ in advance
Brent
Old April 29, 2009, 06:00 PM   #45
inSight-NEO

I prefer Federal LE Tactical Low-Recoil 00 Buck for HD duty. If I'm feeling so inclined, I may keep a couple slug rounds in the Speedfeed stock. But, I generally only consider slugs if I anticipate the need to "reach out and touch" some BG from a good distance.

Of course, if "reaching out" was of major consideration (to me), I probably wouldnt have bothered spending money for a CQ weapon.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; April 29, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:22 PM   #46
LordofWar

I'd use buckshots for HD.

Slug takes away the whole point of using a shotgun.