The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2002, 12:52 PM   #1
another okie

New sight for Remington 1100

I was thinking of trying some skeet, which I've never done, and when I took my Remington 1100 (20 gauge) out the front sight was gone. Any recommendations for a good front sight that would be versatile enough for some clays as well as dove and quail hunting?
Old June 19, 2002, 01:13 PM   #2
stinger

What did you have before?

If you liked it, go with that. I prefer a bead for clays and birds.
If you plan on hunting critters with four legs you might consider rifle sights.

Stinger
Old June 19, 2002, 01:57 PM   #3
another okie

The old sight was some green material that was quite bright, and I did like it. I have reached the age of bifocals and small, dark sights no longer work very well. I have a bead on my 12 gauge and something easier to pick up would help. I don't use the 20 gauge to hunt anything except birds.
Old June 20, 2002, 05:04 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I prefer a small, unobtrusive bead myself. After all, we're looking at the target, right?

Those who get the Outdoor Life Channel see Sarah Sanford, co host of "Pull", smash mucho targets gracefully and well. Her O/U has no beads. Some other folks also do the same thing.

I lost the bead from my TB during a round of trap doubles, and probably shot a few before noticing. I shot one of my better scores that round.

HTH...
Old June 20, 2002, 08:59 PM   #5
ENC

Most stores have those fiber optic things that can be screwed onto the vent rib. Some are even held in place with magnets.

IIRC they cost about $14 and they ought to help you pick up the sights really easy. I am a fan of a good old fashioned bead myself. They can be had just about anywhere.
Old June 20, 2002, 11:32 PM   #6
Andrew Wyatt

has anyone tried using ghost ring sights on birds? would they be as quick as a bead?
Old June 21, 2002, 05:10 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Andrew, yes, I've tried them on clays and doves. No, they're not as fast to acquire and...

One aims with a peep sight and points when winfshooting. Different methods for different games.
Old June 21, 2002, 09:48 AM   #8
johnbt

I was told 40-some years ago that the bead was to keep the gun from falling over when you propped it against a tree

It was also pointed out to me that most people can point their finger at something quite quickly and accurately without a bead on the end of their finger and that focusing on the front sight was for handguns and rifles.

John
Repeating myself, but I'm told that I do that a lot these days.
Old June 23, 2002, 05:05 PM   #9
Andrew Wyatt

I truly wonder about that, though. I'm willing to bet a properly fitted shotgun with ghost ring sights would be just as quick, and possibly better at busting clays than one with a mere bead.

I'm going to try that with my ghost ring sighted mossberg sometime.
Old June 23, 2002, 06:53 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Go for it, Andrew. Let us know how it works out please.

I got an idea it COULD work for premounted games liek trap and skeet. I use the two beads on my trap bbl to get in position before calling for the bird. Something similar may work using the GRs.