The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 8, 2013, 01:52 PM   #1
napg19

Ruger LCP trigger.

Looking at a used LCP and wondered if all LCP triggers have a 1/4" play in them before it feels solid like it's ready to pull hammer back to shoot? Thanks.

Last edited by napg19; March 8, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

They do have a long pull.

With that, mine is a solid pull and does not have any play or a loose feeling.
Old March 8, 2013, 05:19 PM   #3
mrcharlie3531

I own one, yes long trigger pull. There is no safety on the pistol with internal hammer double action. I did my homework before purchasing one.
The negative reviews you see on these are from people that shoot tons of rounds at the range and complain their finger is sore. This is not intended to be use this way. This is a concealed weapon firearm.

I like the firearm. I would be scared giving this to a person who is new to firearms. This is a safety concern only, If i can find another good deal. I will buy another one.

Charlie
Old March 8, 2013, 05:27 PM   #4
BarryLee

Yes, mine has about that much “slack” before it starts to move the hammer. Now, not sure if that is normal, but I suspect it is.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 8, 2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Yup, mine to. Maybe a little more than 1/4 inch.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 8, 2013, 05:45 PM   #6
mrcharlie3531

the same for me
Old March 9, 2013, 10:06 AM   #7
napg19

Much appreciated guys. That LCP will have a new home today. Thanks.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Vermonter

Own one as well

Very very long pull. I can stage the trigger pretty well with it. I am sure you will be able to as well once you get used to it.

Regards, Vermonter
Old March 11, 2013, 01:26 PM   #9
bonefamily

Ruger has improved the trigger on the newer model LCP's - which is noted by removing the "-" in the serial number. I have not fired an older model LCP to compare mine with (mine is the newer model), but I don't notice a large amount of take up or overly long pull. Mine feels quite similar to my P-32 when I had it, maybe just a tad heavier.
Old March 11, 2013, 03:39 PM   #10
jfrey

I have both the older model and a newer one. The trigger on the newer one is much better and shorter than the older ones. About half the travel overall.
Old March 11, 2013, 03:48 PM   #11
flintforever

I have a 2012 model year on my Ruger LCP which so far will handle any ammo that go in the magazine with well over 500 rounds threw it with out a He-cup
I would say the trigger is like a 2 stage military has a good 1/4" travel before moving the hammer back to fire,the pull threw is smooth other then that the gun runs excellent
Old March 12, 2013, 11:27 PM   #12
Yung.gunr

The trigger is the main reason I did not get the LCP. If they really did improve the trigger then I would skip all the old ones and spend the $$ for a new one with the improved trigger. Good luck for ya if you got it already.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:59 AM   #13
Chris Van

I passed up a good deal on a brand new LCP and have regretted it every since. Everything I have found since then has been 60-80 dollars higher.
I am definately going to pick up one as soon as the right deal strikes me again.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:51 AM   #14
WadCutter1

Hey all. First post here at TFL. I think the main reason for the LCP's long trigger pull is because it is merely a carry piece. I carry mine with one in the tube, and with no mechanical safety that long trigger pull is what could potentially alleviate any accidental discharge.

At home I've fired the round, hold the trigger all the way back, slowly release then fire again, don't let it go all the way forward. I've found that really makes you take your time and actually learn what you are doing to get a tighter group.
Old March 13, 2013, 01:11 PM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
Looking at a used LCP and wondered if all LCP triggers have a 1/4" play in them before it feels solid like it's ready to pull hammer back to shoot? Thanks.
Mine does
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "