The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 2, 2011, 12:43 AM   #1
bigminnow

Powder flask recommondations?

I have been looking at powder flasks. I'm getting tired of scooping powder from the container and its probably not the safest way...

I've looked at a lot of websites and they all seem to have the same stuff...but I'm a function over form type person first and I don't really need an ole time style powder flask that may or may not work well.

Anyone seen any great functioning powder flasks out there and care to point me in the right direction?

I found this one...it even says it is made in the US so I called them and the person that answered the phone sounded very foreign and said they did not have any and did not know when they would have them again because they got them out of Canada...hmmm...made in the US?? ...anyway, I thought it might work well so if you know where one might find something similar, pass it on...thanks...

http://muzzleloadingbullets.com/muzz...measurers.html
Old September 2, 2011, 01:19 AM   #2
Lee McNelly

flasks

have u tried track of the wolf
Old September 2, 2011, 01:39 AM   #3
bigminnow

No but I will check it out now...I might use some of my pill bottles for the time being. Lord knows I have lots of them in all sizes!
Old September 2, 2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Lee McNelly

flasks

what u r looking for is what i settled on the large brass flask w several spouts
Old September 2, 2011, 02:08 AM   #5
bigminnow

Thanks for the website info Lee...this is just what I was looking for. How does the large brass flask work? This is what I will order. Thanks...
Old September 2, 2011, 04:26 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Big,

I like the CVA 1400.

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=CVA1400

That is by far the best price I have ever seen on it. Shipping is a little steep at over $11.00. I think, even considering that the deal beats Cabelas.

You get get good deals on used ones on eBay now and again.
Old September 2, 2011, 07:35 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

That's a very nice flask/measure you are looking at bigminnow, I don't think you could find a better combination. It may not be a easy to use as the standard single spout style with a thumb lever. Then there's the Walker style with the push spout. I find the thumb lever the quickest to use, you can get different size (volume) spouts for them.
Old September 2, 2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

I hope you are not planning on loading directly from the flask.
That is a very dangerous practice.
Old September 2, 2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Noz

Look at the TRESO model at the Possible Shop.

Watch for dead horses along the way.

Last edited by Noz; September 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old September 2, 2011, 09:04 AM   #10
robhof

robhof

It's not hard to make your own, I got all the parts on Ebay including the horns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bird 006.jpg (261.3 KB, 38 views)
Old September 2, 2011, 09:47 AM   #11
Pahoo

Quote:
I hope you are not planning on loading directly from the flask.
Yes, I suspect some are, especially for C&B revolver use and even though I have done so, it is increasing the potential of you getting hurt. I rarely do this and never instruct it as being an option. .....

Quote:
I like the CVA 1400
Basically I like this style with the swing gate but also have one of the push buttons types like the OP listed. I have found that in time, the push button types, start to hang up with powder dust where the gate types do not. I also have the smaller field size of the 1400 that I take in my hunting pack. I have various spouts that go onto the 1400. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old September 2, 2011, 09:47 AM   #12
kwhi43

Here what I use. A cut off can and a spout that opens and closes automatic.
Old September 2, 2011, 09:59 AM   #13
Pahoo

Back to the basics !!!

Quote:
Here what I use. A cut off can and a spout that opens and closes automatic.
However, you are also using a calibrated measurer to pour into; RIGHT ???

If Not;
Classic example of what I won't instruct or use. There are safer and better options out there. More than my humble opinion and no disrespect intended. ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old September 2, 2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Fingers McGee

I use a flask like this - mine is silver plated - to charge my revolver cylinders. High quality flask that accepts a variety of premeasured spouts - and looks good too.

YMMV
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 2, 2011, 11:25 AM   #15
OutlawJoseyWales

Big Minnow,
I've got all the different kinds, well except that "special" one that kwhi43 has.
But, frankly I like the model that you've shown, for me it's faster and I don't drop powder all over the place.
OJW
Old September 2, 2011, 11:29 AM   #16
H.W. French

Measuring up.

Track has pretty much whatever you you need so far as flasks, spouts and funnels. The brass funnel is key for refilling those small pistol flasks. Be sure to add one of their handy graduated powder measures as well. I also use a Thompson Center "see-thru" flask for the rifle at the range.
French
Old September 2, 2011, 11:40 AM   #17
kwhi43

The can I use is safe enough on the National range at Friendship and all the
big shoots here and in Iowa. As a matter of fact, it's just about what everybody uses.
Old September 2, 2011, 12:08 PM   #18
Pahoo

From the can to what ???

Quote:
However, you are also using a calibrated measurer to pour into; RIGHT ???
I don't have a problem with your can and really like that spout. I'm not questioning that, just the application and use. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 2, 2011, 12:16 PM   #19
kwhi43

Mykeal, your turn.
Old September 2, 2011, 12:18 PM   #20
zullo74

Phil,

Don't forget arcticap. He'll chime in here to dump on you in a little while too.
Old September 2, 2011, 02:20 PM   #21
orangello

Well, i guess i would look like a bum dumping my loads out of used .45ACP or .357 magnum cases, but it works OK for me.
Old September 2, 2011, 04:06 PM   #22
Hawg

I use one like Docs and I have a couple of old TC measures.

Old September 2, 2011, 07:59 PM   #23
mykeal

Huh? Did somebody call my name?

Just finished some of SWMBO's strawberry shortcake and must have dozed off for a bit....

NMLRA Range Rules and Regulations, May, 2010 edition:
Rule number 1220-Powder Measure-A separate powder measure or holder will be used to carry the powder charge from the container to the muzzle of the gun. Charging directly from the horn or flask is unsafe and is not permitted.

Phil ([email protected]) follows this and all other safety rules and regulations.
Old September 2, 2011, 08:28 PM   #24
Hellgate

Bigminnow,
I use either the Remington style flask as illustrated by Fingers McGee or the cylindrical flask as shown by CVA. Both work fine but the Remington flask of Fingers holds about 50% more powder. The cylindrical flask will throw 60 charges of 20grs each. I always load from the flask but I am shooting Cowboy Action matches and there is plenty of time to let any embers burn out. Loading from the flask is dangerous when loading rifles or shotguns but not so much in the short chambered revolvers we use for CAS.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old September 2, 2011, 08:54 PM   #25
bigminnow

I should have mentioned that my flask use will be for revolvers only...I really enjoy shooting the revolvers. I have 5 at this time including the 1858 Pietta Remington type from Cabela's and I ordered another one today. I must be infected with black powder or something huh. This is my last one unless...I sell, swap, trade a brass frame model for a steel frame.

So, if I'm careful, what do you think about loading directly to the revolver cylinder? I know there is always the possibility of a horrible accident and I would never load a long rifle directly from the powder horn/flask. I also started using a loading jig that I bought. Have to remove the cylinder but I like doing that...

Right now I'm using a Lee's 1.3cc scoop and I scoop from a container and pour into the cylinder using a funnel...and I could keep scooping I guess. Anyway, Track of the Wolf has a lot of pieces, parts, and complete flasks. Gee I guess I need one for each revolver now huh?