The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2010, 09:30 PM   #1
l98ster

What does leading look like???

Hi everyone,

This may sound like a silly question, but im not sure what leading would look like in my barrel.

I have been reloading and using lead bullets for a couple of years, but my velocities always were very light (700-800fps) out of my .357/38 revolvers.

Yesterday, I tested some lead loads that are shooting higher than I normally would (about 950fps).

At the muzzle crown, i brushed off some "stuff" that was flaky when it was removed, but not sure if it was lead or it was caked on powder residue.

I also inspected the barrel and everything looked good. I even used an automotive bore scope for a really close inspection.

My question is this: Will leading of the barrel look like streaks of lead or small particles of lead? Any help would be great. Thank you!!
-George
Old March 10, 2010, 09:43 PM   #2
flyinpolack

My dad described it like this years ago: if you brush & clean the barrel but see anything dull in there afterward, you have leading in the barrel. Soak overnight & rebrush.

I'm not sure if that's 100% correct but it's worked so far
Old March 10, 2010, 09:47 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

the leading looks as you said... like small lead flakes... powder residues usually are blackened chunks... like wood ashes...usually
Old March 10, 2010, 11:11 PM   #4
PCJim

Actually......

Leading in the barrel will take on the appearance of darkened smears that run lengthwise in the barrel. It does not brush out readily. If it is REALLY bad, you may see fine slivers of lead hanging inside the barrel. If occurring near the chamber, the bullet is usually too narrow a diameter for the bore. If occurring towards the muzzle end of the barrel, it usually indicates the bullet lube is not doing it's job.

Leading can be caused by a number of factors, including but not limited to:
Undersized bullet diameter, rough barrel, bullet hardness in conjunction with velocity, too fast or too slow a powder in conjunction with both bullet hardness and diameter.......

Leading may be removed by wrapping a few strands of copper Chore Boy around your bronze brush and running it thru the barrel until the lead is removed. BE SURE that the Chore Boy, a kitchen scouring pad, is pure copper and not copper plated. Test with a magnet if you have to, although I have yet to see any that was not pure copper. Copper plated will not be good for your barrel.

Last edited by PCJim; March 10, 2010 at 11:17 PM.