The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 12, 2010, 10:27 PM   #1
XD Gunner

1911 and Wilson Combat Trigger?

I just installed a Wilson Combat Competition Match Trigger in my Rock Island Armory 1911. I have complaints. It looks like crap for one, protrudes much farther out into the trigger guard, so far that the pinning holes are visible where the trigger is pinned to the bow, and the fit is horrible, it feels very "loose" in the channel and there is a lot of vertical play, more so than with the stock trigger. Anyone know whats up? Any suggestions?

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old January 12, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
FALacy

The pin holes show on the Wilsons, should have read reviews beforehand. I like the reach on my Wilson. It also is far superior to the stock RIA trigger in terms of feel. Mine has less play with the Wilson.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:18 PM   #3
XD Gunner

I got the trigger in a trade, along with about $150 worth of other parts for the gun, having some trouble getting the Sear in with the extended or stock safety. My RIA trigger feels 100% better than the Wilson Combat, I'm probably going to put that back in and sell the WC. The WC trigger was brand new in the package, idk, I could live with the pin holes, but it just doesn't fit or feel good.

Anyone have any experience with the Ed Brown triggers?

Old January 13, 2010, 11:48 AM   #4
VHinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD Gunner
having some trouble getting the Sear in with the extended or stock safety
If you replace the sear, the thumb safety has to be refit to that sear, or a new one installed and fit to the sear. The engagment surfaces between the sear and hammer also need to be checked and will likely need some work to be correct as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD Gunner
The WC trigger was brand new in the package, idk, I could live with the pin holes, but it just doesn't fit or feel good.
Any 1911 trigger that just drops in is going to have a lot of play in it. The only way to get one to fit correctly is to buy an oversize and fit it to your individual gun.

When it comes to 1911's, drop in parts suck. Sounds like you're finding this out the hard way.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:03 PM   #5
XD Gunner

Quote:
When it comes to 1911's, drop in parts suck. Sounds like you're finding this out the hard way.
Well, I didn't expect a STI like build from drop ins, but this trigger is pure junk. I think I may round up an oversized trigger and fit it in. The Sear and Hammer feel very good, even with the stock trigger. Any "guides" on how to fit the safety to the sear?

Old January 13, 2010, 07:31 PM   #6
VHinch

This one deals a lot with fitting a beavertail to the frame, but it does get into fitting to the sear as well.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...1911___Part_VI

The biggest thing is taking your time. Take very small amounts of metal off at a time, and test for fit frequently.