The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 7, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
roadrocket

home defence

hi as a point of interest i just wondered how many forum members have actually had to use their home defence weapons in anger?
Old July 7, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Yodwinder

are you asking if we've gotten mad and then grabbed our guns and shot someone?
Old July 7, 2009, 12:27 PM   #3
greyson97

what are you? some sort of cop or something?
Old July 7, 2009, 12:34 PM   #4
roadrocket

home defence

i am not a cop just curious to how many people have had cause to use their home defence weapon that is all i am asking.
Old July 7, 2009, 01:12 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

To ask if anyone has used their shotgun for self defense or home defense is more accurate unless you want to know if anyone has actually committed an aggravated felony crime.
As for me I use my guns for HD every single moment someone is home. Drawn and fired? NOPE. Drawn not fired? YES.
Brent
Old July 7, 2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Evyl Robot

Anger leads to the dark side of the force.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Oldster

Yes, there is a big difference between using a firearm in anger, and using it in defense of one's family. Like Hogdogs if i'm home my firearms are on duty for defense of my home and those in it. As for using it, fortunately no. Taking a life isn't like what they show in the movies, the person is real, and doesn't get back up to share a cup of coffee with the film crew. Even if they so rightly deserve what they get, taking a life has a tendancy to haunt you.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:15 PM   #8
stargazer65

If I had to use my gun in self defense it would most likely not be anger I felt, but rather fear. Fear that my life or someone elses was in danger.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:19 PM   #9
greyson97

actually, you're right. I'd be angry id be shooting the BG with a $3 home defense load. and angry i'm gonna have to repair the door he kicked in, and angry i have to clean his blood off my floor, and angry I have to fill out a police report. probabbly angry he interrupted my videogame session or something.

Yeah, I could see how I'd be angry.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:25 PM   #10
Oldster

Quote:
actually, you're right. I'd be angry id be shooting the BG with a $3 home defense load. and angry i'm gonna have to repair the door he kicked in, and angry i have to clean his blood off my floor, and angry I have to fill out a police report. probabbly angry he interrupted my videogame session or something.
I lol'd in RL, heh.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Dave_Shotgun

I'll be getting a shotgun for home defense pretty soon too, but I really hope that I don't have to use it. Just helps me sleep better at night knowing that it's there.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:17 PM   #12
VA9mm

Never have and hope I never will.

Roadrocket aren't you the turnip guy? Yes I still use 00 Tactical Buck lol
Old July 8, 2009, 05:41 AM   #13
roadrocket

home defence

yes I am the turnip guy
I think my phraseology didn't travel well across the pond ie 'used in anger'

Here in Ireland when we say 'used in anger' we mean compelled to use because you have no other option.
It does not mean a person is angry.
Hope this explains it
Old July 8, 2009, 06:15 AM   #14
stargazer65

Turnip guy?

Quote:
Here in Ireland when we say 'used in anger' we mean compelled to use because you have no other option.
It does not mean a person is angry.
That, I understand now. Hopefully, I never will have to use it.
Old July 8, 2009, 06:23 AM   #15
VA9mm

Quote:
Turnip guy?
Check his previous posts. He shot a large turnip with 7.5 shot on a video.
Old July 8, 2009, 09:57 AM   #16
RetiredLawman

I am a retired cop. Most of the defense shootings I have been called to were shot with bird shot. I'll have to anger some folks by saying this but, by golly, they don't walk away from a load of bird shot. They may recover but they will be in a world of hurt. I also have never known a lawsuit over a defense shooting in my area. I have never known of a homeowner to be charged in a defense shooting unless there had been a fight elsewhere and the party came to settle it at the guy's house.

If you don't have "dirty hands", you are usually safe from a lawsuit if you have to defend your home.

For my personal benefit, I have a 20 gauge pump loaded with Walmart specials, #6 shot. I hope I never need to use it but I have every confidence that the bad guy will be the loser.
Old July 8, 2009, 11:33 AM   #17
stargazer65

Quote:
Check his previous posts. He shot a large turnip with 7.5 shot on a video.
Missed that one.

I'm not real crazy about turnips myself, but I've never shot one in anger. Now a radish:barf:...maybe.
Old July 8, 2009, 11:59 AM   #18
SamStafford

I have never pulled a shot gun on any person...I hope I never have to. If some one came into my house uninvited, they will see the business end of one of my Mossy 500 12ga. I have a wife and 5 year old son...I pity the fool that would break into my house.
Old July 8, 2009, 05:39 PM   #19
ThomasT

RetiredLawman thanks for your post. My uncle was a Ft Worth policeman and then a homicide detective before he went to the Tarrent Co DAs office as an investigator.

You can believe it when I tell you I grilled him about bullets and guns and what worked on shootings. He saw several people shot with #4 and #6 shot. He said it worked very well. Most folks just didn't survive being shot with these loads at across the room distances. I have been flamed before for posting this. Its good to see someone else with real experience say the same thing.
Old July 8, 2009, 07:25 PM   #20
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Deployed one in Ca, back in the 70s. No shots fired.