The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 23, 2001, 09:30 PM   #1
K80Geoff

Chokes and stuff!!!!

Ran across this chart in the newsletter of the Connecticut Travellers Sporting Clays Asociation, (of which I am a member)

It gives a breakdown of constrictions of various chokes in the four most popular gauges. I copied it here for all those TFL'ers who just have to know this stuff.

Of course when Bruce buck finds out I am copying his stuff I may end up an Ex member, or worse, be forced to shoot a GAS gun at the next shoot

Here it is, don't wear it out.

CHOKES FOR VARIOUS GAUGES

UNABASHEDLY PALAGARIZED FROM THE TECHNOID
(SORRY BRUCE!)

GAUGE------------12--------20------28-------410
Bore Dia (CYL)--.729-----.615----.550-----.410
Equivalent percentage constrictions by gauge
SK----------------.005------.004----.004------.003
IC-----------------.010-----.008----.008------.006
Lt Mod (SK2)----.015-----.013----.011------.008
MOD--------------.020-----.017----.015------.011
Imp Mod---------.025-----.021----.019------.014
Lt Full------------.030------.025----.023------.017
Full----------------.035-----.030----.026------.020
X Full--------------.040-----.034----.030------.022
Super Full--------.045-----.038-----.034-----.025

From The Technoid, August 01 RELOAD, The Newsletter of the Connecticut Travellers Sporting Clays Association.

Heres the linkhttp://www.shotgunreport.com/Reload/ReloadAug01.html

Geoff Ross .
Old August 24, 2001, 05:36 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I doubt Bruce will MAKE you shoot a gas gun,Geoff,but he'll certainly recommend you do(G).

Thanks for posting.....
Old August 25, 2001, 01:43 AM   #3
Guyon

K80Geoff: Wow, I see now why you and Dave recommended a skeet choke for skeet. Didn't realize it is only slightly more constricted than cylinder bore. I bet a lot more clays would have gone kaput if I'd used a skeet choke as opposed to modified.

I'll order up a couple of chokes for the 1100. Don't have a full for longer shots in the field, so I'll just get them both at the same time. Maybe I can find a shell catcher too and save on overall shipping. Any recommendations on outfits with good prices and reasonable shipping where I might find chokes and shell catchers?

Thanks for the chart. Very enlightening.
Old August 25, 2001, 09:04 PM   #4
PWK

I wonder if Bruce Buck ever even visits this forum. I have the archive CD and visit SR on occasion and it would seem he is plenty busy over there to be lurking around here.
Old August 25, 2001, 10:22 PM   #5
K80Geoff

Shell Catcher & stuff

Guyon,,,here is a website that sells Shell Catchers amongst other goodies. Don't think they sell choke tubes but you should be albe to get Remington tubes at any gun store.

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/products2.html

I personally use choke tubes made by Briley, but their website is not operational at the moment. Briley chokes have always worked better for me than remingtrons" anyway and they are extended tubes which makes them easier to change. They also have the constriction on the side of the choke so you can see what choke you have without taking it out of the gun. Remington chokes are difficult to read, at least with my eyes

Geoff Ross
Old August 26, 2001, 08:28 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If Bruce comes around here much, he keeps quite about it. It could be he figures he answers enough questions already. Besides SR, he shows up on the Shooting Sportsman BB.

Guyon, before sending off for that shell catcher, try this....

Position a medium sized rubber band around the action, over the ejection port and forward of the operating handle. This works. I gave one to a Geezer Squad member who had lost his shell catcher,he says he'll never buy another catcher, the band works better.IIRC, it was a red one, the kind grocery stores use to hold celery,etc, together.Stick a couple spares in your shooting vest,solvents do them no good.

Try Cabelas and Bass Pro for choke tubes.

While I usually recommend two choke increments between chokes, instead of an IC, try a Skeet I tube. A real winner at 25 yards or less. At the other end, a Light Full or Improved Modified oughta handle the longer stuff. Add a Turkey tube if that's on the agenda and have fun.

Of course, it's a great idea( and practically mandatory) to check pattern and POI/POA with each tube, and using each load. IOW, a Skeet I choke and soft 8s(if your hunting quail, woodcock or shooting skeet) should be tested, hard 4s, 5s, or 6s in a medium choke for late season,spooky pheasants. A lot of work, but a terrific payoff.

Of course, anything worth doing is worth overdoing to some people. Beware the man with 10 choke tubes. Sometimes the actions of folks on Sporting Courses approach classic Mack Sennett comedies, frantically trading a choke tube that just worked perfectly on a 21 yard shot for one they think will work better for 26 yds.
Old August 26, 2001, 12:12 PM   #7
K80Geoff

Sometimes I change chokes just to drive the other shooters nuts. Often if they complain about my extensive collection of chokes I will take out the choke between station and put the same choke back in

Chokes can make a difference in hitting or missing. It is a rare individual who can use just one choke and hit everything on the Sporting clays course. Sure there are people who do it, like Andy duffy or Jon Kruger. But you can bet in a money situation they go for the choke tube wrench.

A good basic choke collection should include Skeet, IC, Mod and Full. With those you are ready for anything. Of course you should shoot some paterns on butcher or kraft paper at various distances with various shot sized to see whan they can do. Kind of like sighting in a rifle.

I guess the rubber band works, but why deprive Guyon the satisfaction of buying another piece of equipment for his prize gun? Every shooter wants to buy more goodies

Next of course you will need a shell bag to hold your shells, and one of those net bags to hold empties for when you finally start reloading (More stuff to buy!) A good vest, one of those tabs for your shoes to rest the barrel on, special shooting glasses, a towel on a loop to wipe your hands off, shooting gloves (two pair, one for summer and one for winter), a range bag to carry your stuff, ( or if you really have lost it, a golf cart!), powered choke tube changer, rain gear and golf umbrella for rainy days.

Did I forget anything, Probably.

I will never understand people who spend thousands on a gun and try to chintz on a piece of essential equipment.

As to The Technoid, he is now charging for his wisdom (check the Shotgun Report site for details) Can't blame him one bit, he makes a living from the sport! My hero! He has accomplished what others dream of doing.

Geoff Ross
Old August 26, 2001, 09:04 PM   #8
Jamie Young

"Chokes can make a difference in hitting or missing. "

Umm, Remember that time we all missed the Clays Geoff and then you said "Maybe I should have used a Modified Choke" Or was it a Cylinder? You certainly DO own a lot of them.

Hey!!!!!!!!!! You didn't list 16ga NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO????

Does anyone use 16ga for Clays?
Old August 26, 2001, 10:13 PM   #9
K80Geoff

Ah yes!!

The crossing incomer that I couldn't hit with the usual Lt Mod choke I broke easily with a cylinder choke. I must have been lazy not to change chokes for that bird. I must be getting rusty not having shot in a while.

I also made a poor mount and paid for it for several days with a nice bruise on my upper arm.

I really need to shoot more

Geoff Ross