The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 25, 2015, 07:47 AM   #51
Gunplummer

Recently the PA Game Commission declared "Open season" on feral hogs. According to them it is becoming a real problem. PA is loaded with public land so I am guessing some of the problem is on state land. You could try contacting them, maybe they could give some leads. I remember one farmer used to have open air sheds back against the Blue Mountain and they let the hogs fend for themselves. Easy to see how feral hogs got a start. It would be a lot harder than a pay hunt.
As for the state getting involved on private land, the PAGC has been paying crop and property damage related to deer,elk and bear for years. They also issue extra tags for crop damage farms. Not all states are the same.
Old May 2, 2015, 04:58 PM   #52
Jeffm004

Ohio is not far. the ODNR has a 2012 map of feral hogs in Ohio. Vinton county is a leading contender but I do not have them bracketed any better than that.

I also know the spots on the west border are marginal and the rangers will point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Jeffm004; May 3, 2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old May 24, 2015, 05:30 AM   #53
Ibmikey

May is almost over and the time to leave Texas draws nearer, i would stay longer but the scum credit card thieves have already caused my CC to be cancelled pending issue of a new one and my phone & I pad have experienced melt down and will not allow me into my bank account. Besides my buddy whom i am sponging off of is probably ready for my dog and me to give him some rest. Anyway the pigs have not cooperated with my hunting desires, it has rained every day for the past month, usually in very large buckets full, but i am still having the best of times. So far i shot seven small hogs and seventeen raccoons and spent many hours on my friend's range which contains a lot of steel to shoot at and that is impervious to the Texas rain ( oh did i mention the tornado a few miles away?). I shall depart with sadness for leaving the fun parts of my Texas trip and will miss friends, shooting and the hours waiting for the monster pig to present himself.....until next trip.