The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 2, 2000, 02:12 PM   #1
ds1973

Hey all, I'm looking for a good holster to carry my para-ordnance P14-45 concealed. Does anyone own a "SmartCarry" (formerly Thunder belt, NOT thunderwear) holster? If so how's it work with a full size 1911?

ds1973
Old March 4, 2000, 07:04 AM   #2
Rex Feral

I just ordered a SmartCarry for my H&K USP45C, I'll let you know in about a week.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.
Old March 4, 2000, 03:33 PM   #3
kv4v

I use the medium size" SmartCarry" holster for the Glock 32 pistol and S&W 640 and it works just fine. It is very comfortable and easy to access. I saw a demonstration of the .45 auto and the "SmartCarry" at a gun show last weekend and it was amazing to see that large pistol appear like magic. One nice thing about it is that there is no weight on the belt. It doesn't pull the pants down. The weight of the pistol is supported by the band around the hips. I've tried ankle,belt,shoulder,pocket,ISWB holsters, you name it, but this "SmartCarry" is the best!

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West
Old March 6, 2000, 01:10 PM   #4
ds1973

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll give it a try.

------------------
The first step is registration, the second step is confiscation, the final step is subjugation.
Old March 11, 2000, 09:46 PM   #5
whiskey

where can I see one?
Old March 11, 2000, 10:44 PM   #6
Rex Feral

www.thunderbelt.com

Well I've used mine for 3 days now, here is what I think:

1) It would work better with something thinner than my USP45 Compact (1.25"), the bottom of the grip prints when I wear lightweight pants. I don't think anyone not in the know would notice this, but I was paying a little more attention to my crotch than normal and it seemed awfully noticable to me!

2) Despite what it says in the instructions about sweat not being a problem, I think they should stitch a moisture barrier between the layers of cloth behind the pistol. After 1 day at work when I barely worked up a sweat, my slide release and the proof marks etched on the slide were spotted with rust. I now give these areas a generous coating of oil each morning before donning the holster.

3) Using a urinal was no problem at all, much to my surprise. Just hold the holster out of the way with the first finger of your free hand, and proceed as normal.

It does the job, I would give it a thumbs up for a thin pistol, but I'm going to look for another deep concealment option.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

[This message has been edited by Rex Feral (edited March 11, 2000).]