The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2002, 07:17 PM   #1
PALongbow

Cartridge Overall Length - 44 Mag???

How does the Cartridge Overall Length affect accuracy with a 44 Mag revolver? I know that I should crimp in the cannelure of the 240 grain XTP's that I'm using, however there is some tolerance and the COL could range between 1.604 and 1.610 plus or minus depending where the bullet is seated in the cannelure itself. I usually seat my bullets so the COL is 1.609.
Old July 9, 2002, 07:19 PM   #2
stans

I usually crimp revolver rounds so that the very edge of the case mouth is rolled into the deepest part of the cannelure or crimping groove.
Old July 9, 2002, 11:22 PM   #3
topstrap

I agree with stans, I crimp mine just at the bottom edge of the cannelure. As far as OAL, I keep all my cases trimmed uniformly, I don't measure them, I don't feel that is as important as each being the same so the crimp is uniform. As we've mentioned before that is the singularly most important thing that I've found affects the accuracy of a revolver. I load mine on a progressive loader and do NOT weigh each charge of powder.... I'm sure there is a minimum length that you can go before you start to develop higher pressure because of a compressed load if you keep trimming the cases. I shoot 24 gr. of 4227 with the 240 XTP and Silhouette loads. I don't think I've ever measured for the COL, I used to load some 320 cast and seated them out as far as I could and they always fit im any of my Ruger or Freedom revolvers, other makes and models may have shorter cylinders and the COL may be important so they will fit.

I'll have to measure one when I get the chance you you, both case length and COL... got me curious now...

Topstrap
Old July 10, 2002, 04:50 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

Hmmmm

I'm pretty sure that .006" won't much matter..........