The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 25, 2008, 07:22 AM   #1
gunnery

Mirror-like slide?

On another forum I saw where some people took a matte stainless slide and finished it themselves in a high gloss, mirror-like finish. Does anyone know how I can do that myself to a few of my non-carry guns?

I would appreciate any advice. I would really like to do it myself rather than send it out.

Thanks.
Old June 25, 2008, 08:22 AM   #2
SilentHitz

You can polish a stainless slide ( or any part) using a Dremil and a buffing wheel. Just use a good buffing compound, something very fine like jeweler's rouge.

You can also use 0000 steel wool, and a lot of elbow grease. If you go the steel wool route, I would start with VERY fine sandpaper using a light touch...then steel wool for the mirror finish.

It's been a while since I've polished SS, so some other folks here may know of some newer compounds to make polishing easier...I've been out of the loop for a while. Might be some new stuff I haven't heard of yet.
Old June 25, 2008, 09:01 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

Stop at the auto parts store, in the paint touchup section you will find 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry paper. Thats the stuff painters use to smooth out the clear coat before buffing.
If your slide has a brushed or mat finish, that has to be smoothed down till all the scratches are out. Work in a piece of flat plate glass, that way you won't round any edges. Good luck TF
Old June 25, 2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Michaelm45

Put the sandpaper on a sheet of glass (or any perfectly flat surface) to ensure keeping the sides of your slide flat.
If you get to aggressive with a dremel tool you will end up with wavey sides
(ripples?).
Old June 25, 2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
You can polish a stainless slide ( or any part) using a Dremil and a buffing wheel.
Yes, you could, and it would look like hell.

To polish any firearm (or other large piece of metal), you work with progressively finer grades of abrasives until you get the finish you want. In the case of semi-autos with flat sides, put some fine silicon carbide (wet-dry sandpaper) on a sanding block (or a piece of heavy glass as suggested), and work the metal from end to end until the scratches form the previous sandpaper disappear. Start with 220, then 320, then 400, then 600, finish with 1000 grit, then buff. You will have a mirror finish.

Just a word of caution: if you put a high-gloss finish on a firearm, it wil show every nick and scratch you inadvertently put on it. My advice would be to polish it to 400 grit and then wet-sand it with light oil and leave it at that. It will have a slightly grained finish but will not show as many scratches.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Scorch is correct. NEVER try to polish a large part with a Dremel.
Old June 25, 2008, 05:48 PM   #7
SilentHitz

I don't know why not, I used one to polish a AMT frame...no waves or rounded corners. Just takes a light touch and patience. Sure, If you get heavy handed with it, you can ruin anything.
Old June 25, 2008, 06:40 PM   #8
gunnery

I really appreciate each and evry one who assisted me on this matter. You all have given me fantastic advise. I will try to take pics when I am done.
Old June 25, 2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Playboypenguin

I have only polished one gun to a mirror like shine. That is my S&W m640. I just used Mother's Mag polish and hand rubbed the gun until I got the finish I wanted. took a couple hors of slow rubbing.

It does not show to much in this pic but it is a chrome looking, mirror like finish now.

Old June 28, 2008, 01:14 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

Don't polish the top of the slide to mirror. You'll get all kinds of light reflecting off it and the sights will disappear in bright sunshine.
Forget the rotary tool. Too slow and will likely give you an uneven finish. Jeweller's rouge and a cloth buffing wheel in a bench grinder is the thing to use though. Eye protection is required.