The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 16, 2005, 08:44 PM   #1
rahtreelimbs

Overall Opinion Of The .30-06???

Well what do you think of the .30-06 as a cartridge?
Old December 16, 2005, 08:50 PM   #2
kirbymagnum

I only shot it a couple times but i like it it was accurate, dependible and there was a lot of different bullet loads i could choose from. It was loud and it hits hard when i shot a bull the bullet hit so hard the snow blew off of him from his head to the tip of his tail. What would you wan't to use it for?
Old December 16, 2005, 09:22 PM   #3
rahtreelimbs

I am just getting general opinions.
Old December 16, 2005, 09:23 PM   #4
support_six

I've used it extensively. For at least half of my shooting life, It was the only center fire rifle I owned. I now have a couple of .30-30's, two M1 Garands, and an AR in 5.56mm (I'm retired Army). For Mule Deer and Elk in Utah and Idaho where I grew up and lived a fair amount of my life, it was a great round for a bolt action. It is offered in a large number of bullet types and weights, and several ammo companies (Remington and Federal) make the round with "higher performance" characteristics than usual. They are little short of a 7mm Mag. I don't need a lot of guns, subscribing to the concept that you should beware the man with only one gun for he probably knows how to use it.

There are constant discussions on whether it is the perfect "all around cartridge". Some feel it is and some don't. ...but it must be close to be considered so often. Hardly anyone argues that the .30-30 or the .338 Mag enjoys the "all around" spot.
Old December 16, 2005, 09:25 PM   #5
Sako 75

Love mine.

Things a little slow over at A.S.
Old December 16, 2005, 09:34 PM   #6
woodland

They are awesome. Best cartridge? No. But it is one of the most common and versatile rounds you can get. I like mine.
Old December 16, 2005, 09:40 PM   #7
gak

Ditto Woodland. I'm a .270 shooter and fan, but have owned and shot (effectively w/o any "but's...") the .30-06 and have very little bad to say about them...and will argue yes, the most "all around" versatile round/format out there including my beloved .270. No reason not to get if deer through elk are "on the table." For the reasons many others have chronicled including this thread, very high marks for the "if you could only have one gun" choice.
Old December 16, 2005, 09:44 PM   #8
tarheellefty

The standard by which others are judged.This one "faster than..." , that one "more powerful than...", #3 "more accurate than ..." but really what else could serve as the benchmark? What else has 100 years and still one of the most common ?you don't havew to like it- you don't have to own it- just respect it. It's earned it.......
Old December 16, 2005, 09:57 PM   #9
Varmint Eviscerator

actually federals HE '30'06180grn load has slightly more energy at the muzzle and out to 500yrd then the 7mm
Chase
Ahh, a good old bolt action,a bolt is a remedy for time, afternoons with our fathers and their fathers, for the mighty olympic shooters, for the wanna be's,for the time of youth in the woods, for the young.......the old, it is timeless, classic, sleek-a piece of art forever to remain in our memories, our hearts, our future.
Old December 16, 2005, 10:03 PM   #10
edm1

It will do everything I can honestly ask it to. In the USA it is all you NEED.
Old December 16, 2005, 10:10 PM   #11
Michael_Carlin

30'06 Timeless

In the lower 48 one should never need more gun. You have bullets weighing from 110 to 240 grains. Bullets tough enough to shoot trough a moose from end to end and bullets to shoot 1000 yard Palma target cleans. Perhaps in Alaska the 30'06 might be a poor choice for the big bears. South of Lake of the Woods, 30'06 can do it all.

Michael Carlin
Old December 17, 2005, 06:54 AM   #12
keens

Just one word...love. Hope it stays for another 100 years.
Old December 17, 2005, 07:21 AM   #13
MILbolt

it's ok....

8x57 is really close ballistically. Unless your going longer range.
It wasn't designed for varmints.
Old December 17, 2005, 07:41 AM   #14
Picher

The '06 was my first centerfire cartridge and I used it in a couple of rifles for about 30 years. I killed many deer, crows, skunks, grouse, porquepines, a couple of pesky red squirrels, a trio of raccoons, and maybe a hundred woodchucks with it.

I hardly ever shot factory ammo, preferring to handload. My best load for varmints was the Sierra 125 grain spitzer with a safe load of IMR 4064 and Sierra 200 primers. That load would group 3/8 minute or less in my accurized rifles.

For deer, I tried various bullets over the years, including Rem. Bronze Points, Winchester Power Points, Sierra 165 grain BT, and Nosler Ballistic Tips. The only one that really disappointed me was the first batches of Sierra 165s. They were a bit too hard and wouldn't open up enough on deer shot through the lungs. The Rem. 700 I had for over 30 years was given to my oldest son who shoots Remington 150 grain Core-Loct factory loads through it, grouping 1/2 min and performing great on deer.

The '06 killed woodchucks out to 450 yards for me. It was easy to see misses as they tore up big furrows and threw a lot of dust in dry weather.

In retrospect, and considering how much varmint shooting I did back then, I'd have been better off with the .270 Win. as a combination deer/varmint cartridge. That was 30 - 40 years ago. Today, either would be way too loud for many varmint hunting areas that have been built up over the years.

Picher
Old December 17, 2005, 08:07 AM   #15
youp

I do not own one and I never have. Yet I have nothing but respect for this cartridge. Hand load it to near 300 win; father of 2506, 270, 280, 338-06, 35 whelen, 50 BMG, and countless wildcats. Been around 100 years? The service round of the winning side in two global conflicts. I may never own one, but you really can not bad mouth success born over time.
Old December 17, 2005, 09:09 AM   #16
stevelyn

It can do everything that needs doing in North America and a good portion of Africa.
As Townsend Whelen once stated, "The .30-06 is never a mistake."

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 17, 2005, 10:48 AM   #17
Jaywalker

It depends. If you plan to only have one rifle, ever, for deer, woodchucks, elk, moose, African plains game, and maybe big bears, then it's your "one rifle."

If you plan to have two or more rifles, then the compromises that make the '06 the "best all around" start showing up. It kicks more than I'd like for woodchucks and practice. (I don't have great success "loading down" - I like my cartridge cases to be filled 90%+.) It's more than I need for deer. It's not quite enough for bears. It's not as accurate as some other cartridges. This isn't to say it isn't a fine round - it's a really good "one rifle." I like rifles, though, and I own more than one, so I have no need for an '06, yet.

I am, however, considering one, even though I don't "need" one. How about a stainless/synthetic, go anywhere in any weather and shoot something medium-sized, while being sure I can find factory loads for sale in the nearest yurt? For that, a "world rifle," nothing beats it.

Jaywalker
Old December 17, 2005, 10:53 AM   #18
Logs

One of the BEST all around calibers for game in the USA.... Little over kill for Rabbits though....
Old December 17, 2005, 01:55 PM   #19
bclark1

it's my favorite rifle cartridge. versatile, readily available, reasonably cheap, high muzzle energy, velocity, accurate. i've definitely rambled about it more than once on these boards
Old December 17, 2005, 02:09 PM   #20
Twycross

Quote:
It depends. If you plan to only have one rifle, ever, for deer, woodchucks, elk, moose, African plains game, and maybe big bears, then it's your "one rifle."

If you plan to have two or more rifles, then the compromises that make the '06 the "best all around" start showing up.
+1. The '06 is only the best if you don't quite know what you want to do, or if you can't afford another gun.
Old December 17, 2005, 02:11 PM   #21
TPAW

With the proper grain cartridge and a well placed shot, I wouldn't doubt that it can kill any animal that walks the earth.
Old December 17, 2005, 02:30 PM   #22
Marky

the 06'

In a nut-shell it's the cartridge that all others are compared too. Automaticly when describing a cartridge in your or mine at least head I always think '' whats it like compared to a 06'?, it just seems automatic.
Old December 17, 2005, 04:30 PM   #23
HAWKIN

Nice to be done with cartridge selection, eh?
Now, really blow everyone's mind and by ONE rifle and learn to shoot it to perfection.

One rifle in .30-06 shot perfectly. Brilliant.
Old December 17, 2005, 07:25 PM   #24
TPAW

I agree with the versality of the 30.06 in bullet grain. I know that Federal sells the 125 grain, but who sells the 55 to 110 grain bullet that is talked about?
Old December 17, 2005, 10:23 PM   #25
cobra81

110 gr bullet

Hornady makes at least two 110 grain bullets:

1. Ballistic tip V-Max
2. Spitzer

I've used em both. Good bullets.