The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 20, 2012, 11:31 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

How many 22 LR cartridges are sold every year here in America?

And how many world wide?

Empty minds want to know. Thanks.
Old October 20, 2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Sparks1957

That's an interesting question! All I know is that I account for about 5000 annually.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3
johnbt

According to a Layne Simpson article in 2009, about 2 to 2.5 billion.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:14 PM   #4
johnbt

Do you count the duds?

I've never had one, but I have good .22s.
Old October 23, 2012, 03:15 AM   #5
WoofersInc

Heck,
I've bought about 20,000 this year.

Don't tell the media..... I've apparently got a huge cache of ammo and could be highly dangerous.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6
DaleA

Quote:
Don't tell the media..... I've apparently got a huge cache of ammo and could be highly dangerous.
Yup. And if you had more than two guns to shoot it with you'd have an 'arsenal' as well.

I think it would be interesting to see how much .22 ammunition was sold each year. The farther back the better - even back into the depression era before WWII.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:58 AM   #7
twobit

You mention the depression.....
My father was born in 1918 and thus experienced the depression. His family was poor. He had no father. At an early age he was tasked to hunt for the family (his mother and younger sister). He used to tell me that his mother would give him the single shot .22 rifle and two or three 22 rounds. He was expected to return with a rabbit for each round she handed out to him. No shooting cans for fun for that kid. Tough life.
Old October 23, 2012, 12:35 PM   #8
pgdion

May dads family was dirt poor too. He used to go out hunting with his Marlin 39. Sure wish he still had that gun but I think he left all of his guns and stuff behind when he went in to the service. the couple of guns he had probably ended up with brothers or cousins. *sigh*

Well chock up about 10 to 12K for my house. We'll burn 6000 rounds just shooting leagues alone (not counting practice).
Old October 23, 2012, 03:00 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Prior to 2004, production was estimated to be 2 to 2.5 billion rounds per year. (Layne Simpson used an old reference.)
I can't find a newer reference; but I'm sure we're exceeding that now, especially with the increase in popularity of low-grade trash we like to call "bulk packs".

Quote:
You mention the depression.....
My father was born in 1918 and thus experienced the depression. His family was poor. He had no father. At an early age he was tasked to hunt for the family (his mother and younger sister). He used to tell me that his mother would give him the single shot .22 rifle and two or three 22 rounds. He was expected to return with a rabbit for each round she handed out to him. No shooting cans for fun for that kid. Tough life.
When I was a kid, I couldn't understand why my grandfather was so stingy. He'd give each grand kid no more than one box (50 rounds) for an entire day of shooting. But, before we could "sling lead", we had to stack up 5-10 rocks and pick them off one at a time as a demonstration of "one shot, one kill".

When we ran out of grandpa's ammo, we'd turn to our dad. He handed it out by the brick (500 rounds), and it was nothing for the group of five to six people to go through 3,000-4,000 rounds in a 6 hour shooting trip.