The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 10, 2010, 03:28 PM   #1
mrmonteith

Remington 1903 Sights?

I recently acquired a Remington 1903 S.N. 3109xxx which has micrometer sights. I've seen variations but not these particular ones. I was wondering if someone had any more information than what I can find on serial number sights etc.? I mean is it a particular variant such as a Match or what?

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...1/SANY0373.jpg

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...1/SANY0373.jpg

I have to say I love the rifle. I've only taken it out to shoot it twice since I've got it but I can see I'll be spending a lot more time with it. I took it out yesterday and was just using my arms to steady it and first shot at 100yd was within an inch of dead center. When I was done I had 4 shells left and thought for the heck of it to shoot the 200yd target someone had left out there. All were in a vertical line a few inches to the right but at least were consistent with the amount of wind that was out there.

Whatever the case I love it and will be learning to get a good dope on the rifle which I think will be a piece of cake with this gun.

Thanks
Michael
Old October 10, 2010, 05:55 PM   #2
mrmonteith

I'm definately getting the feeling it's a National Match version. Especially since also the trigger is very light.
Old October 10, 2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Doubt it, those are "hunter" coin slotted knobs on the receiver sight.

I don't think they built any NM 1903s after WW II when the Remington guns would have been available.

No doubt a good shooter but no need to make stuff up.
Old October 10, 2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Loader9

I bet if you look real close you'll find Redfields name on the sight. I have a Remmy 03A3 like yours in pristine shape with a set of Redfields like those. The Lymans were also pretty close in design but I doubt military origin.
Old October 10, 2010, 07:02 PM   #5
kraigwy

Those are Lyman Reciever sights, often put on by shooters for competitiion.

Not military. They are legal for NRA Match Rifle, but not Service Rifle matches for either the NRA or CMP.

I've shot Lyman sights on '03s. When propertly set up you take an otherwise good service rifle and make a damn nice target rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 10, 2010, 08:29 PM   #6
mrmonteith

Jim, I wasn't trying to make stuff up. Just going on what little bit I could find. It wasn't until I started looking at national match type rifles did I find anything close. So it was just thinking out loud on where I was at so far.

I am going to take a closer look at the sight though.

Definately a keeper for me anyway.

Michael
Old October 10, 2010, 10:54 PM   #7
Loader9

Actually, any 03 that goes off safely is a keeper. I've seen old 2 groove barrels with a mile of pitted barrel on 'em shoot near match groups. They were designed to last and shoot reliably, for sure. Is the original barrel on it and does it have a date stamp on the end of the top of the barrel?