The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
txccider

At the Range...

Interesting and scary...40SW fired in a 45....9mm in a 40SW....right next to me....no more Sunday shooting....exploding.jpg
Old May 5, 2013, 10:27 PM   #2
LE-28

I knew things were tough but I didn't think people were that stupid.

People like that give the rest of us a bad name.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Plumbnut

The stupid stuff people do

I got muzzel swept 3 times (that I know of) today at a public range by a 10 yr old boy with lever action .22. Unloaded but still
He and his father are no longer welcomed at the range.

Had another guy ask me how to load a shotgun.....he got instruction by the range master and I left.....before I got shot.

I really hate going to public ranges,I like peoples farm land where I'm the only one with the gun and no more than 3 people with only one guy shooting at any one time.

If I go to public range I like it to be duringthe week....seem to have more experienced shooters during work hours in te week at the range. Retired old men and the like......experienced with some common gun sense.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
boondocker385

Try being at a class for law enforcement and getting swept by the students and once by the instructor!!!!!
Old May 5, 2013, 10:34 PM   #5
txccider

I agree...I usually never go on the weekend, and won't again. Most of the old timers have the common sense to forgo the weekend circus as well. My bad....
Old May 5, 2013, 10:49 PM   #6
LE-28

I only go to the range on Wed or Thurs, there is hardly anyone there, only 4 people last week.

On the weekends the idiots are coming out of the woodwork. I stay away.

Two weekends ago the owner told me that with all the new memberships, that someone walked up to him with one of his rentals, pointed it at him with his finger on the trigger, and told him that it had a round stuck in the chamber.
He didn't have his vest on at the time either.

These are scary times.
Old May 6, 2013, 02:21 AM   #7
Sevens

These may be "scary" times but a big part of that equation.... is a very, very, VERY good thing. It's a whole heckuva lot of new people buying guns and going shooting. We want these folks. They buy stuff, causing every business in the industry to grow and make MORE stuff. These new folks also sell and trade-in guns that help keep our used market brimming with goodies. And what we want the most... are all these people voting and voting in a manner that supports our rights. At the very least, you can bet (hope?) that because they are shooting, they are MUCH more aware of who -NOT- to vote for, and even that is welcome assistance.

Moderator Capt Charlie uses a line in his signature that says, "TFL Members are ambassadors to the world for firearm owners. What kind of ambassador does your post make you?"

He's saying that you represent gun owners when you write something on here in one of your posts. The same is true when you are at a range. If you can help these folks and do it in a constructive way, you'll be serving everyone in our hobby and lifestyle in a positive manner.

As to the subject of the thread, those two rounds mistakenly loaded in to the wrong handguns? I wouldn't worry all too much about either. When they aren't sitting in a properly sized chamber, they never get a chance to work to their full pressure, not to mention the fact that they basically got shot from a ZERO-inch barrel since the bullet had near zero resistance in it's travel down the bore.

For sure, it shows a genuine lack of diligence and it's NEVER going to be a good thing when someone is that careless, but aside from that... I don't think we are looking at much of a real "safety" issue.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:24 AM   #8
TimSr

Quote:
If you can help these folks and do it in a constructive way, you'll be serving everyone in our hobby and lifestyle in a positive manner.
Amen!

Imagine not knowing anything abut firearms, feeling a need for one, and no friends how happen to be into the sport. These are often former anti-gun liberals who have been confronted with reality. They end up witha gun at the range, hoping to get some help.

When you calmy walk over are offer helpful tips in a friendly way, these people are very east to befriend correct. If you scold them and talk down to them you are re-enforcing their fear of what to expect if they enroll in a beginner firearms training course, which is where they belong.

There are two approaches.

"Hey idiot, you're going to kill somebody! You need to learn what the heck you are doing before you come to public range! Learn some range etiquette and watch where you point that thing, jerk! Come back when know what you're doing!"

"I can see you are new at this, and I will be happy to help you out so you can do this safely without making others nervous. I can also recommend some great beginner firearms classes that will help you develop some great safe habits which are much easier to learn before you develop some bad ones".

Neither will result in 100% positive outcomes, but you can choose the one with the best odds.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:36 AM   #9
mjes92

You can't expect much from the people that voted in our current administration.

I have spent countless hours of my spare time educating competent people about guns since the last election. Friend's, co-workers, etc....... (they get it)

I actually told my wife "I'm getting sick of talking about guns". She's worried about me.
NRA - Life Member
Old May 6, 2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Plumbnut

I just go get the range master and leave if I feel uncomfortable. I'm not a firearms instructor nor do I want to be one. I certainly dont want a newbie standing beside me or a 10 year old with a .38.

To tell you the truth I might not go back to that range....it seems there is always a group there that doesn't know jack.

You need help with a question about point of aim or somthing like that fine but if you dot know how to load your gun then I have a problem with that.

One guy had a Walther P22 a few weeks ago and kept dropping the hammer and the gun would not fire.....he kept complaining about bad ammo....he must have cleared out 4 or 5 rounds.....he would pick them up and say "looks like light fireing pin strikes"...."This is a new gun and it doesn't eve work"

I walked over and told him t take iit off "safe" by flipping the lever.

Wel he did and then immediately pulled the trigger and sent a round down range without aim. It scared te crap outta him and me. I didn't expet him to pull the trigger like that.

I think I'm done trying to help people at the range. Sorry.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:16 AM   #11
campbed

I just don't understand US sometimes. We are more scared about offending someone than we are with our own safety.

If someone asked what they should have done, we would all tell them they should immediately call the range cold, and get the range master to send them on their way.

But why, why, why don't we do it ourselves?
Old May 6, 2013, 10:53 AM   #12
zcrenna

I agree that it can get a bit scary and I've definitely felt unsafe around inexperienced shooters at my range when it gets crowded.

My father taught me thoroughly the importance of safety with firearms at a young age and I've never forgotten. I'm sure most of us here have had a similar experience with our mentors.

While I don't like the insecurity of worrying about the guy next to me at the range, I feel we (experienced shooters) have a responsibility to at least try to teach others (even strangers) what we know. At least as far as safety is concerned. Seeing as some of those people at the range didn't have the same privilege of having a mentor teach them proper handling of firearms.

Just my $.02
Old May 6, 2013, 12:15 PM   #13
SL1

This is a "double-edged sword" that is hanging over us all as gun owners.

If we just walk away, then WE won't get shot, but somebody else very well might. And then that produces the kind of publicity that gets ranges closed down and gun "control" laws passed.

If we stay, then maybe WE will get shot.

What we need is range safety officers who will deal with improper gun handling. But, they can't be there or see everything. So, we also need to TELL THEM what is troubling us.

A public range without a safety officer is in serious jeapordy of having an accident.

SL1
Old May 6, 2013, 04:32 PM   #14
g.willikers

Don't be shy with new shooters.
And don't be harsh, either.
The approach that always seems to work is to kind of mosey over behind them and say, "Can I show you how to do that better"?
Never had a refusal, yet.
And you will usually get all their brass, too.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Scottish Highlander

Getting muzzle swept is a scary thing. I was on a pheasant driven day beating ( flushing the birds). Picture this...there was a clearing where all the trees were felled. We pushed the birds through the forest to the clearing where all the guns were lined up with 40 yards between each gun position. When we reached the clearing the birds were going in every direction. A pheasant got up to my left about a 100 yards away and flew straight down the line of beaters I was standing in. The bird passed between me and straight in front 50 yards in front of me was an Italian guy with a 12 bore shot gun. He swung on the bird that was 4 foot of the ground and swung right through me as it passed in front of me and him. He did pull the trigger!!!! All the lead landed in front of me. He missed the bloody bird and me thank god. That was my nearest close quarters scare. If you work with guns all your life it may not be your mistakes that cause you injury, it will most likely be someone else who does. Golden rule, never shoot at a bird below the tree line!!

Jamie
Old May 6, 2013, 05:23 PM   #16
csmsss

It's all fun and games until appendages start flying off.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:25 PM   #17
csmsss

Personally, I just don't go to public ranges. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with not one but two outdoors members-only ranges, so the fees are reasonable and, in general, you know you are going to be around serious-minded, safety-minded folk who aren't going to put anyone else at risk.