The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 29, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
w_houle

Ft. Riley range location

I registered my guns on Ft. Riley, and the MP wasn't helpful as to what range I go to or any other information except to keep the gun in the trunk and the ammunition in the glove box and always have the registration card whenever I have the gun on post.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old August 30, 2008, 04:39 AM   #2
Niantician

I haven't been to Ft. Riley since I ETS'd back in 2004. But yes there is a free public, outdoor 100yd range. It's past most of the ranges on the range road. Call range control, and ask them for directions. They have targets there, you just need to bring your own ammo and hearing protection. Also remember that the range officer is a volunteer, so don't give him any crap. By the way, never buy a gun from that little pawn shop in Ogden. The guy is real nice till he swipes your credit card. As soon as he has your money, he wants nothing to do with you. I seriously thought about throwing a brick through his window on my last night on base. Never did, but if you want to for me, go ahead.
Old September 1, 2008, 06:05 AM   #3
lon371

Was there several years ago. After I got out of the service, I didnt want to leave. The hunting areas around Milford Lake were super. Just be careful come Pheasant and Deer seasons, woods get real crowded. Between hunting and fishing, we didnt buy a lot of meat. Freezer was always full. If you want to hunt Milford, pick up a Lake map. Most areas are marked. Make sure you are legal. When I was there, DNR did their job. We would see them every other time we were out. Kudos to them.

If you are just looking to do some range time, I am not sure.

Lonny
Old September 3, 2008, 12:57 PM   #4
davlandrum

I'd try Outdoor Rec (785)239-2363

The number you really need is Range Control....

Found it 785-239-4516.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 3, 2008, 02:08 PM   #5
w_houle

Thanks for the RC number, they are going to email me all the information I need.
Unfortunately for me, my dad didn't introduce me to hunting. I went through the hunter safety course, but never went hunting, so I don't imagine it is something I am going to do. I mainly kill paper.
Hmm... Ogden. There is two gun dealers in Ogden now. Pat's and Barry's Automotive. Yeah, he fixes cars AND sells guns now By the timeline I would say you were talking about Pat's. Don't impulse buy from him and research what you are looking at and you should be fine.
Old September 3, 2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Citizen Carrier

It's Range 9, the POW range.

And it goes out to 300 meters, not 100.

Things have probably changed since I was last there in early 2001.

Used to be that you needed to show the range NCO your PMO registration slip for your guns. The range provided targets and target stands, tables, and chairs.

It was the best thing about Fort Riley.

That and the Taylor Special at the Hillside Cafe in Ogden...with a big glass of iced tea.

Tags
fort riley , pistol range