The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 5, 2011, 12:56 AM   #1
RamItOne

My New Remington 887 Tactical!!

Took a trip a few hours south and wanted to check out a gun store while I was there. Stumbled upon the 887

Just the black weapons for this pic, the Tikka was pushing it with the barrel.

Figured why not, looked cool, felt good. Anybody have any experience with this weapon?

Thanks

Last edited by RamItOne; October 5, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old October 5, 2011, 02:18 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am just a gawker of reviews... No actual experience of my own. The thing on the end removable? If so I would probably screw in a choke for the occasion.

I am still trying to determine what thereasoning behind a new model so similar to 870 or is it very different?

Brent
Old October 5, 2011, 10:08 AM   #3
RamItOne

I've owned an 870 (20ga) for over a decade. I like the feel of this one as it is lighter, shorter barrel larger mag capacity. The choke on the front is removable.

I look at it as buying the same car but newer with a different color and a sports package.

The weather is starting to get nice down here, figure it'll do a good job busting clay pigeons.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:51 PM   #4
RamItOne

Due to the overwhelming responses to my post I figured id post an update.

I like a lot of the reviews ive seen online had issues cycling the rounds. Would have to hold the pump grip and push the gun down on the ground or a table to get the round to eject (the round was spent so no gun safety nannies needed). Was very frustrated, a lot of people had these issues, some tried slightly filing down the barrel on the inside. I figured just shooting would be more fun, would spray rem oil after every few shots in there, after about 30 cycles it cleared up the issue.

The coolest (pardon the pun) feature on the gun is that I can go through 100 rounds shooting skeet and then grab anywhere on the barrel with my bare hands.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, wasnt expensive, fun to shoot, still like my 870 20ga for skeet.
Old February 24, 2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If it works for you.....

How many rounds so far?
Old February 24, 2012, 07:47 PM   #6
RamItOne

I'd say somewhere around 5-600 rounds. Almost all skeet. It cycles fine now. I really like the winchester pdx round, has a 1 ounce slug and three (8 or 9mm) diameter balls in it. The pattern is great, about 20 feet away the slug is head on and prolly 6" spread from the POI of the slug.
Old February 25, 2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good start. Keep it up, a few more thousand and you'll know if it's a keeper....
Old November 2, 2012, 10:04 PM   #8
RamItOne

Update

Somewhere around 2,500 shells have flown from this gun. Have had three feeding issues that I can recall, also some of the ammo I'm using is so old it says 3.99 on the box. From reading a lot of posts about the 887 it seems as if its looked down upon and seems to get a lack of responses in threads unless its comparing it to another shotgun. I'm not into shotguns much so spending 1k or so on a toy isn't much of an option. Now I'm no slouch, last year I spent on guns and ammo a lil over 10k. Sig, Walther, S&W and Colts. Maybe someone can sway me on why this gun is looked down upon so much.

Long and short of it Dave said to go through a few thousand shells and ill know.
I know I'm happy with it. And still think its cool I can grab the barrel after a day of shooting and not scald myself.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0

Tags
remington 887 shotgun 12g