The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 16, 2011, 10:03 PM   #1
8mm

black powder cannon

i want to get a black powder cannon but dont know if it is legal in the state i live in connecticut need a stright answer.
Old July 16, 2011, 10:30 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Look in Connecticut's State firearm laws. Give Dixie Gunworks a call. They might be able to tell you.
Old July 17, 2011, 06:26 AM   #3
8mm

i looked in the index of the laws on firearms it says something about if it has a similar ignition to flintlock matchlock or percussion or replica it is ok its a little 58 caliber cannon.
Old July 17, 2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Uncle Buck

8MM - If you find out it is illegal, try getting a propane cannon or a Calcium Carbide Canon. (http://www.hobbystores.com/amatos/bigbang.html)

If you want to make a lot of noise. We had both types when I was growing up. My grandfather made the first type and bought the second type.

Using calcium carbide, you can make a heck of a noise.

I have a small replica cannon (.36 Cal) that sits on my desk. We fire it occasionally. It is supposed to be a replica of some civil war era fort cannon.

Another thought... Check with Independence/Civil war reenactment folks. If Conn law says you need to be a member of this group to own such a thing, I bet they would love to have a cannon team with them.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; July 17, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old July 20, 2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Smilin Jack

If it's a closed breach muzzle loader it's the same as any other black powder firearm. If you're only shooting for noise without a projectile then it's not considered a live round. Problem is the "great powers that be" generaly don't know the law.....as usual. And since 9-11 they have really stepped things up. I never have a problem where I'm at but they're used to me by now. You would be wise to give the local law enforcement a call and talk to someone in the know.....if you can find one. Good luck, it's a lotta fun.
History will never record how many men have performed great deeds because they were driven out of their homes by some unbearable trait of their wives, from which they fled, almost joyfully, to face as an alternative peril and even death.
Major John Reid
Old July 20, 2011, 12:14 PM   #6
maestro pistolero

I don't know about legal, but I'm pretty sure the founders had 'em in mind when the wrote the amendment. LOL.
Old July 20, 2011, 01:39 PM   #7
NJgunowner

Just don't bring it to Jersey. Cannon's of any type are prohibited, maybe even the air kind for pumpkin chucking but I'd have to double check.
Old July 20, 2011, 06:25 PM   #8
8mm

i emailed the person selliig it and you cant shoot a ball out of it why.