The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 14, 2000, 05:00 PM   #1
Chad Young

Well, I recently competed in my first IPSc match here in North Florida and I have to admit to being completely and thoroughly hooked. It was great fun to say the very least. It was also humbling to see some of the folks I was competing against.

For this trip out, I used my trusty Glock model 23 in .40 S&W. Two extra mags in a Galco double mag pouch and the Glock in a friends IPSC-style rig.

My questions are:

1. What guns can be had for this kind of competition in 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP without spending many thousands of dollars. I saw lots of high-tech stuff. I want a competitive firearm for less than $1k if possible. suggestions?

2. what holsters do you recommend?

3. What kind and number of mag holders do you recommend?

4. What other usefull accessories and extras do you suggest?

Thanks!

Old March 14, 2000, 09:51 PM   #2
SVSUPER

For starters you can compete with the gun that you have. But if you really want to get a new gun and if you are comfortable with the glock, look into the glock 35. The mags can be converted to hold 20 rds, and the gun is relatively cheap and functions out of the box. Para Ordance makes a good gun in the p-16 limited, come with 1 16 rd mags and a certificate for two more. The mags can be converted to hold 21 rds. I personally would look into buying a used holster. Go on the uspsa classifieds and look on there. Check with the local club members and see what they have for sale. As far as the kind of holster you want to use, you will need to figure that out for yourself. It all depends on what you like. I use a bianchi hemisphere, others use safariland, crspeed and others. Mags pouches will be the same way.
Old March 15, 2000, 02:58 PM   #3
DblTap

Yep. What SVSuper said. There is a lot of different equipment out there. When I shoot Limited, I use a Glock 21 with Lightning Strike mag extensions out of a Hoague (sp?) holster that has magnets that hold in the gun.

Bianchi has mag holders that are slightly different than others. They hold the mag at a 90 degree angle so it matches the way it's going to go into the gun.

Good Luck and remember it's just a game.

Shoot A's Fast.

DblTap
Old March 15, 2000, 04:11 PM   #4
rgkeller

Assuming you are talking the limited division.

For less than $1000 you can go one of two ways. First is the aforementioned Glock route. Glock 35 (550-600), two pre-ban drop free mags with +4 extensions (250-300), a belt and mag pouches (100) and an IPSC holsters (CR, Hogue, Bianchi, Helwig) (100). You might also put fiber-optic front sight on pistol (25) weighted pads on 10 rounders (10), skate tape on grips (5). Might be able to pick up a used Glock 24 instead of 35. OK for IPSC in US but not internationally or for IDPA. A lot of used Glock 22's are around but it is a little harder to make 175 power factor with these.

The other way to compete for less than $1000 is with a 1911 style 45acp. A Kimber (550-750) with 10 round mags (25 each) and a 100 worth of holsters and pouches and belts will do fine to start with. You will be at a disadvantage on some stages without the mag capacity but you will learn to shoot and move well.

If you really are hooked, you will end up with an SVI or STI pistol in 40 cal (1800) and 250 worth of holsters etc. Try one out at the club where you shoot. If you stay in IPSC, this is the cheapest way to go in the long run.

And you will eventually need the most important tool of all - a Dillon reloading press so you can afford to practice.
Old March 15, 2000, 05:03 PM   #5
Chad Young

Actually, I allready load my own 9mm, 40, .357, and .45. I just need to get the loads a little hotter and more conistent before I compete with them!

What do you guys think of getting a Glock 24 and installing a 3.5# disconnector? I am profoundly a GLock fan, so this would suit my style rather well.

Old March 15, 2000, 09:24 PM   #6
actionshooter

If you are a glock shooter a 24 would be a great choice. Just shoot what ever works for you and don't be afraid to ask ALOT of questions. That will save you the most money in the long run.
On another note I have to disagree with rg,I have to say that the SV is a superb gun but after shooting a Para for so long I cannot get used to the feel of the SV and sadly will be selling my SV .40. Not all serious shooters move to the SV/STI, just most of them
Old March 15, 2000, 09:27 PM   #7
SVSUPER

If you want to imoprove your trigger the 3.5# connector is a good start. Look into the the lightning strike's titanium stryker and the wolff light stryker spring, this will make a big difference in the trigger.
Old March 17, 2000, 11:09 AM   #8
rgkeller

Glock 24 comes with 3.5 trigger and extended mag release standard.
For whatever it is worth. 6.0 grains of Winchester Super Field with 180 FMJ at 1.132 oal make major easily in my Glock 35 with no pressure signs and no feeding problems.
Old March 17, 2000, 10:00 PM   #9
BENA23960

Stick with your Glock for awhile.Shoot steady and work on shooting A zone hits.Squad with experienced shooters and learn the game.When you've reached the point where you have peaked with your Glock then move up to a good 1911 style pistol.Ask to try out other shooters pistols to determine what you like and are comfortable with.
Old March 24, 2000, 05:23 PM   #10
Matt K

A great setup for beginners and veterans.

G35 $500
Trigger job $75
Slug $20
Bomar sights $100
4 hicap mags $330
4 TF basepads $120
CR Speed holster $120
4 Safariland 771 mag pouches $80
Inner and Outer belt $60
Wiley-X eye protection $45
Ear Muffs $25
Total $1475

I bit more than you figured but it includes everything you would need except ammo.

matt

------------------
Custom Glock Racing- Because Stock is Slow!
custom-glock.com