The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 12, 2014, 10:11 PM   #1
njm

Shield and holsters

Hello again.

I have a new question. Recently I finally had the privilege of getting to hold a shield 9mm in person. I have been after one for about a year. Sunday I checked the LGS and found it. Kinda my own Holy Grail quest. Wife had put the kibosh to buying more guns until our child was born. So I bought it on Sunday...and a couple hundred rounds. Waiting for it to warm up a little before running it through. But while I'm waiting, my intention is making this ccw, previously, mine was pocket carried. Regardless of what the rest say I don't feel this weapon was designed for this... I'm looking for suggestions from other shield owners in position of carry and makers of holsters.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA

njm

Last edited by njm; February 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old February 13, 2014, 12:47 AM   #2
JimmyR

Ok, sorry, I'm not a shield owner, but have owned guns of that size in the past.

If you aren't sure if you're gonna pocket carry or IWB carry, consider getting a Sticky Holster/Remora. They look like pocket holsters, but the outside is textured, so that the gun can be held between the waistband and body like any other OWB holster, just without clips. They tend to run about $30 each, and give you a lot of flexibility.
Old February 13, 2014, 01:58 AM   #3
Water-Man

What's your preference? Kydex or leather?

Do you want to carry it IWB (inside the waistband) or OWB (outside the waistband).
Old February 13, 2014, 08:38 AM   #4
njm

I'm pretty sure I want inside the waist type. I'm also leaning towards leather for reasons I'm not sure but sure like the look of it. I've tried carrying my full size kimber 2 inside the waist in a glaco (can't remember the name) but the size was just a little big and awkward in and out of vehicles. For this one I'm looking at Miami II right or wrong but looking to try and do this all at once for shipping.
Old February 13, 2014, 11:34 AM   #5
NCummins

I've got a $30 Tagua IWB leather holster for my shield. I'm very happy with it. I carry it above my right rear pocket or the 3 o'clock position.
Old February 13, 2014, 05:34 PM   #6
southjk

I have the Shield 9mm and carry with a Crossbreed Supertuck and have been very pleased with it. Great quality and comfortable in around the 4 o'clock range iwb. I like it so much I ordered another one for my M&P 9 full size. We'll see how that goes.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:34 PM   #7
njm

Tagua I like the looks of it but I'm finding black only. I will be looking harder in a sec. Thanks for suggestion.

Crossbreed looks like the leather on the inside might ride high into your side.

Brings me to another question: which will last longer the stitches on the tagua or the rivets on the super tuck?

Thank you too for the information. Decisions, decisions
Old February 13, 2014, 07:37 PM   #8
ritepath

I only carry OWB, and for me I've found pancake holsters are the way to go.

google M&P Shield pancake holster and look until you find one that pleases your eye.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Bozz10mm

I carry my Shield in a www.firearmholster.com and love it. Well made, reasonably priced, comfortable, and it just looks great.

Old February 13, 2014, 07:53 PM   #10
njm

In the winter I think a pancake might be ok but I don't think longer jackets will always be worn.

Anyone tried ankle carrying it?
Old February 13, 2014, 08:04 PM   #11
njm

I like the looks of the pic but the link is bad. More info plz.
Old February 13, 2014, 08:06 PM   #12
Bozz10mm

The link is correct. I think the website might be temporarily down.

The Firearm Holster is $49 shipped. You can customize it with your choice of leather and stitching colors. No extra charge for the combat cut. Fully adjustable for ride height and cant. It can be used as OWB by removing the metal belt clips.

Another option is www.aliengearholsters.com I have both brands and they are good holsters for a reasonable price. I wear the Firearm Holster mostly tho.

Last edited by Bozz10mm; February 13, 2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old February 13, 2014, 08:30 PM   #13
njm

Could you describe what is met by combat cut?
Old February 14, 2014, 12:07 PM   #14
njm

I've made my decision. I went with the first one bozz suggested after a little research these have good view and seem to hold up. Thanks all for the input. The mods can close this thread if they would like.